Portal nearly made me barf... Any games nearly make you barf?

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
The first-person view is my only hangup about the Portal games (that's why I stick to the 2D flash version ;P ). Most FPSs don't really bother me, but when you put spatial distortion into it, it's really hard to watch, especially if you've got a big screen like I do.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
i havent thrown up since i was six...so... be jealous. the closest i have come was when i was working in a supermarket, i had to clean up the meat department, the drain was clogged. to describe it, there is basically a large drain in the middle of the floor where all the blood and smaller bits of water soaked meat drain into. anyway, i had to push my arm in it shoulder deep and dig stuff out for 20 minutes.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
The Electro Gypsy said:
By barfing do you mean throwing up/ vomiting? It's one of those phrases I've never understood.

And nope, cos I'm awesome that way! :D
Yeah, 'barfing' is an American (I believe) colloquial for throwing up or vomiting. I was not quite at the needing to put my hand over my mouth stage, but I was pretty nauseated. People remarked, when I went for a break, that I looked very pale. It was the same feeling as going on a fair ground ride multiple times in succession, that spins you around a lot.

So the thread is really about being nauseated by a game. But if a game has made you actually 'barf' please feel free to share.

Suppose another thread could be about headaches, which I would imagine are a lot more common a gaming complaint. Especially with now with 3D....

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Zakarath said:
The only time I've ever gotten motion sickness was when I tried playing Descent (a cookie for everyone who knows it) on my laptop while riding in a car.
Yeah, no probs with that one. As I said, been doing this a long time. Memorable as one of the earliest games to use DirectX. Cookie please. Appetite is back now.....

Edit: did not see the riding in a car bit, that would do it. Don't deserve a cookie any more....

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Oddly, I'm fine with Portal/2 (good thing really 'cause I play them to DEATH), but Prey made me feel very ill with the whole room flip thing. Half Life 2, too, no idea which part 'cause I was watching my step-dad play, but Gordon was smashing some big yellow larva... things with a crowbar and that made me queasy too.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
tehbeard said:
I've had similar thing with HL2, seems like the source engine might be the common cause? :S
Yeah I know someone who has to take a break from source engine games every half-hour or so...
Motion sickness, what can you do?

MordinSolus

Feb 10, 2011
Arontala said:
MordinSolus said:
Whenever, I jump into a bottomless hole or jump off something that was higher than I anticipated it to be, I feel queasy.
I get that, too.

OT: I'm kind of surprised that no one has yet to mention Kaine and Lynch 2 yet.
I;m surprised no one mentioned the snowmobile scene from COD MW2. That made me jump in my chair and yell "Holy great balls of shit on fire!"

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
STALKER: SoC. The headbobbing made me feel motion sick. I've been playing games for almost 15 years now, and it's the only game has EVER done that to me.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I don't barf unless I'm physically ill. However I've never gotten any motion sickness from a game. Sometimes I do feel vertigo, but that's because I'm immersed in the game and want to feel it, so I imagine it. So I make it fun and don't include any unpleasant feelings. I can just as easily stay rooted in reality and not experience any of it.

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011
Games with a lot of bright flickering and lights make me nauseous, not the movement. Portal lacked this so I was free to enjoy it. I'm sorry that this happened to the op :<

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
It's never happened to me but I can see how you got sick from portal, if there is any game that would make someone barf it would be portal.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
I believe i may have had some nautious moments in portal but not that bad. BTW im afraid of heights.

I have a coworker who said bioshock made him sick.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I remember reading threads years ago about the game Cold Fear giving people nausea and motion sickness due to the constant rocking of the ship. But to move a little closer to the topic at hand, I've never experienced any video game related nausea etc.

Just in case you don't remember what Cold Fear is.

RGman

Aug 28, 2011
Half Life 1 and Quake 2. I'm getting sick just remembering it. That's one of the main reasons I never bode well with FPS's.
Shia-Neko-Chan said:
no, because I'm completely stationary when I play the game. o_o
That's crazy... but it just might work

ghostrider409895

Mar 7, 2010
I know playing the challenge of the gods for God of War made me a bit nauseous, but that was not due as much as the graphics or movement, as much as it was more due to having to keep replaying parts of the challenge - especially the last bit.
I felt a little nauseous playing Half-Life 2 for hours (which is likely the cause of my nausea more than the game play). I also get a little bit of that feeling if I play an RPG for too long, or play multiplayer for a game for too long without a break. I cannot say that I get too nauseous from a game that constantly changes the view point or the screen orientation. I might get a small headache from that, and I might need to stop playing for a bit, but that did not really make me want to barf.
Really for me, I suppose any game could make me sick, but if I am starting to get sick from playing I have been playing for too long and need a break.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Not barf, no.

Headaches, now that's another matter entirely. Let's see here...

Borderlands.
Saint's Row 2
Strife (wait, what?)
Bioshock 2
Duke Nukem 2011

That's off the top of my head.

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
So took advantage of the free Portal offer. Never got around to playing it until now; I know.... Great game and concept.

Was making great progress with escaping from level 19 after an hour. But then I had to stop playing the game. For the first time in nearly 30 years of playing games, of all sorts, I had to stop for fear of barfing. Maybe I am getting old, but I have never felt so nauseous playing a game. I finished the game soon afterwards, but had to take a few breaks whenever the nausea got too much. Nothing has ever done this to me before, from FPS like Wolfenstein, Doom etc to modern ones....

And yes the game was not running slowly or anything with 60 fps going throughout. This is the normal gaming rig I use and have never felt like this before, even with games using 3D glasses.

Anyone else had their stomach turned, by the mad orientation changes in this game? Will have to decide if my stomach can take the second one....

Edit: I think it's due to me coming down with something as, I now have a runny nose and a cough... Will give the game another go when I am feeling better.

Edit2: Updated title to open it up to any games people have had issues with. Mirrors edge seems to be coming up a lot and other source game due to their default very low FOV....
No, I haven't had a problem with it. I've never had the urge to throw up for any reason other than having the flu.

But Portal was amazing wasn't it? Everything, the character(s?), the gameplay, the levels, the backstory, the concept, the execution, the challenges; everything about that game was amazing and made for a gaming experience I'll never forget. And it was hands down the best puzzle game I've ever played.