Portal Playing Dad Frustrates to No End

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I can't watch very much of these videos. The background sounds are extremely loud and annoying. It's not terribly entertaining to me either. I chuckled when he tried chasing after his character when you saw her running through the portal, but other than that? Meh. I'll pass on parts 2-whatever.

theComposer said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Um, no offense, but....How exactly does this qualify as news?

I mean, its a funny video and all, but....you know....It's called the Newsroom for a reason.
It's a Sunday, and probably just a slow news day in general. No, it's not "news" in the typical sense, but some people might find this interesting or entertaining, which is better than no story at all.
Exactly. It's Sunday, so it's not like this is getting in the way of "real" news. Save the whining complaints for if a story like this pops up on weekdays.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008

I mean, its a funny video and all, but....you know....It's called the Newsroom for a reason.
Not only that, but can anyone think of a less relevant article to drop a link to the Dead Island trailer in?

May 5, 2010
Squilookle said:

Not only that, but can anyone think of a less relevant article to drop a link to the Dead Island trailer in?
I KNOW!

I CAN'T be the only one sick of hearing about that damn trailer.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
I remember my dad trying to play Metroid on the NES back in the day. He was terrible, but after many tries, he made it to the first missile tank, which he thought was Mother Brain. He shot at it a bunch, accidentally collected it, and then thought he had beat the game. He stopped playing entirely when I told him Samus was female. "Women shouldn't be allowed in the military!!"

My mother always blindly hated video games as a whole (except for Odell Lake, Oregon Trail, and Word/Number Munchers), and was pretty much disgusted with anything I played. I think that if she could ever be convinced to try Portal, she would hate it as soon as she detected any sarcasm or deception. And she'd hate that you solve puzzles with a (*gasp*!) gun. Basically, anything that can be even tangentially identified as "negative" freaks her out.

Kudos to the dad in the video for stickin' with it.

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
anyone got a link to that comic that says"the hardest part of playing Portal is watching people play it after youve finished it"?
because that applies to me right now, i just want to burst through the door and finish the damn thing for him!

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
There is nothing more frustrating than watching a non-gamer unable to performed even the most basic tasks in a game.

War-hamster

Apr 5, 2010
Awesome video. Reminds me how my dad tried to play the first call of duty. He used his right hand to press the movement keys and used both hands to move the mouse :D

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
poiumty said:

I've asked this a few times in the past. Their reply was something along the lines of "Problem, user?".
Show me one video game news site that doesn't have its share of public interest fun stories, and I'll show you the most boring mythical site in the world.

Seriously, what kind of srs bsns news are you expecting from a video game website? There's not much out there to subsist on a day-by-day basis, now is there?

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
He should try Portal: Prelude, myself I haven't tried it, but by the sound of it it's much harder then "regular" portal.

I enjoyed watching these videos though...:3

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
That dad was amazing just for mentioning Lost. Though it was a bit painful to watch, at lest he enjoyed it.

Rune342

Aug 26, 2008
That was really aggravating to watch. I was almost to the point of yelling at my laptop...

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
I have a feeling the Dad knew what he was doing and was just acting, something about his reactions didn't seem that real to me...

Either that or he REALLY doesn't understand how 3D gaming works

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
i remember when my dad tried to play supper mario galaxy. he couldn't walk in a straight line!!! i had to leave the room at some points.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
It just goes to show how much video games as a whole can train us. All of us here are kinda used to what the game wants us to do. Like the 2 foot high walls that are really the edge of the map, we say "Oh that's the edge of the map, can't go that way" Non gamers would see more space and try to get over there. That's sort of what happened in that hydrolic situation. We knew that's just not part of the game, the dad didn't get that

Corgyll

Feb 21, 2011
I'm ridiculously impressed that he kept at it.
Whenever I try to get anyone in my family to play something they just drift off and don't bother to learn, and in the end just walking away from the game.

Good for you Portal-dad, good for you.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Okay.... two things.

1. This is a stupid game to introduce people to the world of gaming. First you need to be good at FPS mechanics and then move to something like this.

2. Clearly, the dad doesn't do puzzles often. The ability to solve the puzzle given the information available is mutually exclusive from the ability to actually control the game. I've had non-gamers sit and tell me what to do while I was just executing commands in this game.