Portal Playing Dad Frustrates to No End

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
The dad was definitely getting the hang of it, though. In the first video, he stumbles around aimlessly, not really getting the idea of the portal gun being the solution to every problem. In the last one, he's definitely adapting into the right mindset. He actually STOPS and THINKS about the puzzle, which is something most people can't do, not even in real life.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
koolgool said:
Ghengis John said:
_Janny_ said:
Ghengis John said:
If you'll notice he skipped his dad past the first part of the game.
He didn't, actually. The son mentions that he just didn't start taping the whole thing till that level.
No he says "I wish that I started the game where you started" during the video. If you listen to the actual comments he even says "I only skipped you past the first part."
No, you misheard. He started at the beginning of the game. It didn't occur to me to record it until he hit that chamber. In the video, I said "I wish I started when you started the game" as in I wish I started recording. I even commented on how he got the first puzzle pretty quickly.

Go back and play Portal again. There isn't much of a tutorial. My dad's foreign to the WASD controls. He was even confused with how the mouse was supposed to guide your vision. This was his first computer game and he'd never played anything like it before.
Ah a comment from the creator of the video. Well I'm honored, even if you don't agree with me. While I've got you for what it's worth I would have just explained it to my dad (the mechanics not the solutions) so that he might actually enjoy himself. This was funny in it's own way. But I felt sorry for your dad. He seems like a really nice guy with a lot of patience to be subjected to this for so long.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Not sure why it's so painful to watch? I know we all know how to play it, but it was actually an enjoyment and pleasure to see a parent take intrest in their children's games instead of the usual "You're addictted" or "OMG, ban this game"

Also, I don't think it mean he doesn't have a gaming mind, it's just omething he ha to get used too, just like any new, unique game that comes out.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
^I know right, and why would you roll your eyes when he said "there must be a button"? Buttons are usually the solution to FPS puzzels, even post-Portal, even IN Portal. If anything it only shows that he hasen't grasped this specific gimmick.

I was cheering for him when he got the cube through in part 4.

If you want to see something on the opposite side of the generation gap...

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
That is so horrifically painful to watch. Not only for the cringe-inducingly long time it takes him to do it, but the realisation that he was probably faster than my father would be at it.