Pose Fighting Scene in Bayonetta Is Metaphorical, Claims Creator

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Pugiron said:
That is officially the most retarded thing ever put into a video game.
Barry Wheeler, Too Human's camera, dramatic chipmuck refrence in DKCR, Xen in Half-life, the amount of voice actors in FNV.

Nov 5, 2007
Seriously guys, a lot of you are a bunch of squares.
Just read this article, there's more to the game than what you think: http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/213466/bayonetta-empowering-or-exploitative/

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
All women secretly consider each other rivals?
It's an interesting statement for sure. Truthfully though, it's one of those things that's not as cross cultural as it may seem.
At first I thought "rivals, really?" as I thought of all my female friends, how they acted to each other, to my face and otherwise.
Then I had an epiphany; watch Japanese Anime for a quick update on how women are generally treated in Japanese society. From my apologetically non-experiential knowledge, I understand that Japanese women are not treated as equals with Japanese men, that being the case a Japanese women might feel that they are as strong as their male counterpart, and the 'rivalry' if you will, stems from the want of that said male counterpart.

What saddens me the most is that I'd come to understand about Bayonetta (haven't played the game, but have watched the Game Overthinker's interesting character analysis @http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/02/episode-32-i-heart-bayonetta.html) is that I've come to know her as a representation of sexual domination in women. And that even with the creation of the character, shows a shift in Japanese sexism. (if only slightly)

Mr. Kamiya's comment then shows that he's either oblivious to the impact of his own creation, or didn't fully understand what he was doing in the first place when he created her.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Yep, Bayonetta Facing Herself is metaphorical. Sure. And Persona 4 wasn't the most homosexual game of 2008. Totally. While I'm at it, Hazama isn't completely trollin', MGS 3 wasn't the best James Bond video game ever, and this isn't one of the craziest combos ever:
I'm TOOOOOTALLLYY not being sarcastic here, guys.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ShadowKirby said:
Seriously guys, a lot of you are a bunch of squares.
Just read this article, there's more to the game than what you think: http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/213466/bayonetta-empowering-or-exploitative/
I'm pretty sure quite a few of us AREN'T squares, we're just laughing at how Kamiya is trying to justify blatant sexualization that isn't even close to being metaphorical or meaningful. I wouldn't even really call Bayonetta herself "sexy" as it's too in-your-face to count as that.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Alex Rosewater said:
I don't see any real sex appeal, just sluttiness and an overly long legged woman...
For some reason your comment reminds me of something in an article here about 3 days ago... It was about an article on IGN about a lack of decent female game characters, but there was also a link to some other stuff on IGN which made it seem a little hypocritical...

Anyway, what your comment reminds me of is this woman:
(Warning: Link is slightly NSFW)
http://uk.stars.ign.com/articles/114/1142408p1.html

Elyssa - 6'1" apparently, which might have some bearing, but look at the third picture on that page...

When I saw that picture the first thing that came to mind was essentially this:
Wow. Those are the longest legs I've ever seen on a real woman.

(I think it might be the proportions, but it looks slightly surreal to me. Like, is that really what that person looks like?)

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
I try to post this picture whenever it's relevant

Anyway, I do think he put his foot in his mouth, but I can see a point to the metaphor. I doubt that Bayonetta is a layered web of intricacies upon intricacies, but I fail to see how having a sexualized game voids the ability to imbue it with meaning.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I'm sure that the explanation he gave was his intent. I have no reason to think otherwise, and it is to his credit. Did he choose this approach to the metaphor because he knew it would also sell on sex? Does he convey the metaphor effectively? And, to turn the criticism inward, are many gamers willing to look for the metaphor? All interesting questions. Ill give him points for intent, but I'm not so convinced about execution. I havn't played Bayonetta, though.

Also, I'm not sure if this metaphor is interesting or blatantly sexist.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Let's just say that was his intent, he lost his credibility towards that when he had the orgasm transformation shot. WTF?

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Like I tell my students. "If you are about to make a statement that uses the words, 'All [group of people],' 'No [group of people],' 'never,' 'always,' 'all throughout time,' 'everwhere in the world,'--stop. Rethink. Because what you are about to say is probably not true and is probably going to be offensive."

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
For some odd reason, all I can think of is of when you see two animals about to fight, where they make themselves look bigger and try to look scary.....

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
You know, in the real world, you don't ever see artists TELLING their audience that something is a metaphor, because if they've done their job properly they shouldn't have to, they let critics draw it out. The people you see claiming something is a metaphor are the ones being called out on something stupid or shallow and trying to justify it by being as pretentious as possible.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Heh heh. This reminds me of a line from "It's a Trap!"

"Holy crap! It's the only other woman in the entire universe!"
"...I don't like her." If you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
Danzaivar said:
twistedheat15 said:
Ya every time I go to the mall I see women in cloths story having random kinky posed dance battles to show their rivalry. Sound more like he's just wishing all women handled their hate for each other this way.
I take it you aren't too familiar with the meaning of the word "metaphor".
No, this is *exactly* what we do during sleepovers. Except, we also pull out knives and sing while we kung fu fight:

"When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way! From your first cigarette to your last dying day!"

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
Alex Rosewater said:
I don't see any real sex appeal, just sluttiness and an overly long legged woman...
perhaps it's cause i'm vicious and you're spike, but I think that scene oozes sex appeal, and her legs are an amplifier cranked up to 11! there aren't many other things more sexy than a woman with long, slender, silky-smooth legs that she can just wrap around ur waist as she digs her nails in ur back..... **AHEM** exscuse me, my mind started to wander... lol

but i do agree on some deffinate sluttiness here and there :D