Positivity: Say something nice about a country.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Possibly hopefully maybe has content for discussion? We can discuss what we like about various nations, countries, cultures, and not become a forum game. While also not becoming too negative.

Perhaps we can discuss that without it becoming a heated debate?

I feel like there is far too much focus on the internet about what people don't like about various countries and cultures. All this nationalistic fervor I don't want to repeat.

I personally don't even like the existence of countries myself. But I can still find many a good thing to say about them. So why don't we start talking about the good in various countries and cultures rather than the bad?

--

In the United States of America, my home country, I really like the punk music scene. There's this vibrant music scene that a lot of people don't realize is still being carried on, especially in hardcore punk. Once you look outside the mainstream, there's a lot, and a mean a whole whole heck of a lot of good music to be found. Some people don't look much as America because our heavy metal scene isn't as impressive to them as Europe. But there's a whole lot of genres that the United States is experimenting with.

In both Germany, the United States, and Britain, I really like the industrial music scene. There's a lot of interesting and creative music coming from these countries in this genre. There's definitely a lot more you're going to find than Rammstein or Marilyn Manson. Just lately I've been listening to Janus which is out of Germany, which is some really fascinating and wonderful music.

In South Korea, I feel like their MMORPGs are really underrated. People continuously blame them of making the same old games and never innovating. And indeed there are flaws. On the other hand, you have games like Tera and Blade & Soul attempting to innovate combat and bring something new to the table.

In Japan, I really like the video game industry. I know it is going through a slump right now, but I feel like video games is one of the places where Japan's influence was really important. Nintendo revived the industry and many of the major contenders throughout its history have been Japanese. And a lot of products are very interesting.

I like how much Japan seems to like cute stuff. Liking My Little Pony in the United States bats a few eyebrows, but it seems like at least in the Japanese pop culture world, cuteness is all over the place. It really is a wonder as someone who likes cute stuff myself. I feel like I'd like if my country seemed to appreciate cuteness as much as Japan. Cuteness definitely isn't just for kids.

I really like how in countries like Germany, Sweden, and Finland, just to name a few, women and sexual minorities have such a full breadth of rights and often respect. I feel like in the United States are catching up in that regard. Germany and Sweden seem like some of the best places in the world to live if you are transgender, or homosexual. Or something similar.

And that's just a few things I like about various countries. I think it is time you give you all a turn.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Ireland is very pretty and the roads aren't as bad as they used to be.

I love my country really, I just can't pinpoint a reason as to why. I love the self-depreciating sense of humour most Irish people have and our little cultural quirks. For example, how you always refuse a cup of tea or coffee in someone's house even though you really do want one and the person offering will understand that no means yes and will provide tea/coffee and usually biscuits or Swiss roll.

We definitely have a lot of negative traits but on the whole, I do love it here, even if the country can, at times, be completely backwards and stupid.

The United States has good muffins. Americans have amazing junk food, except for chocolate. American chocolate is shite.

People from England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland generally have really sexy accents. Not all people, obviously, but a majority of them.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Canada,
I love you and your people. You're so friendly and happy when you come visit I can't wait to see what Canada has to offer me if I ever (hopefully) go one day.

America,
You're so large every state is different and that's interesting. Your people are polite, enthusiastic and love us Brits which I find amusing. You have nice scenery and apparently very reasonably priced stuff. You can keep your chocolate though *retch*

Japan,
You're like the weird uncle we don't talk about at times but I love you. I know I keep saying I'll visit but can't afford it, doesn't mean I love you any less. Hopefully I'll be able to have a honeymoon in your fine country one day to experience your kind and polite culture first hand.

And the UK,
you're full of twats sometimes and the weather isn't all that good but it's home. I want to visit Ireland and Wales but probably not Scotland because the people there are mean >.> I've seen a lot of beautiful places whilst on my travels and hope to see more. I'd like you more if you just stopped moaning about everything T_T

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Perceptions of large groups of people are never accurate.

Racists, Nationalists and Idiots are in the minority.

I like the mainly overcast weather here, it does it's own thing and I like it. Anyone who endeavours to do anything has dedication. The right-wing media is transparently ridiculous, and the countryside in which I live is wonderful.

Cloudydays

Apr 17, 2013
Bringing a new country into this..

New Zealand,
My god, you are beautiful and vast and you've got some interesting people there. I think, if ever there was a phrase of "Backpacking in.." it should be "Backpacking in New Zealand". I mean, there's a reason why so many major movies are shot all over your body parts. There's no end to the diverse geography you've got.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Sweden, I enjoy your metal, your sexy accents, your progressive social stances and those Girl With the Dragon Tattoo films.

Norway, you also make some great music and seem like a pretty pleasant place to live.

America, you produce a lot of great films, the odd good sitcom to compensate for the ocean of shit ones and a few great TV drama's here and there too. Your politicians are also pretty lulzworthy.

Scotland, you have the greatest football manager to ever live.

South Korea, I dig Park Chan-wook and Samsung phones.

North Korea, you're cute when you're mad. :3

China...I like your food.

And England, you're full of jaded cynics and you make me feel at home because of it.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Ireland is....

very green, which is nice, since I like green.

[small]Which doesn't actually matter since going outside means smelling cow shi...[/small]No, no, nice things only.

Wyvern65

May 29, 2013
UK - Your language is maddening and glorious, even though we broke it a bit; and, yes, all your many accents are as well. Thank you for your wonderful humor - both the dry and the absurd. I could spend all day talking about your writers and poets. You've given me several real world friends over the years.

Sweden - You gave me Ingmar Bergman /and/ Ingrid Bergman, who weren't even related! I wish I knew more about your country, since it looks so gorgeous. I've only made one real world Swedish friend, and I felt honored to know her.

Canada - must be the cold that makes you so cool. I've met some Canadians I didn't get along with, but never one who was outright mean-spirited. And you're hockey fans, who can argue that's a bad thing?

France - Great art, wine, philosophers, people, and words like ennui.

US - You're huge, you're home, and your natural wonders are stupendous. All your qualities, good and bad, are dialed up to eleven. You have wonderful ideals, live up to them better. Last, but hardly least, jazz.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
No love for Italy yet...

Italy:
You have so, so much delicious food, awesome countryside and scenery, fantastic historical cities full of beautiful buildings. Your people are often very smart/stylish/attractive, it's nice to go to a place where people care about looking smart. They are also very friendly and funny - like the waiter who patted my Dad's head 'cos he thought his big curly hair was funny. Your organised crime (and that of Sicily) has also inspired some of the greatest movies around, so thanks for that too! I can't wait to visit you yet again.

I would totally move there if a) I could speak Italian and b) didn't feel so attached to England - despite its many flaws it's still my motherland.

Colour-Scientist said:
Americans have amazing junk food, except for chocolate. American chocolate is shite.
Yeah I've heard this too. An American friend living here in England says she never ate chocolate at home, but is now obsessed with it here. I wonder why America fails at chocolate when, as you say, they excel at a lot of other unhealthy stuff...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
EstrogenicMuscle said:
In South Korea, I feel like their MMORPGs are really underrated. People continuously blame them of making the same old games and never innovating. And indeed there are flaws. On the other hand, you have games like Tera and Blade & Soul attempting to innovate combat and bring something new to the table.
agreed, they really do catch to much flack for that, which is funny cause the US based MMOs seem to pretty much be copying WoW almost exclusively ....

Japan: Like some of the anime and manga, and video games. All most all of the best games I've ever played came out of this country with the only exception to that being the Legacy of Kain

Britain/Ireland/Scotland: I desire to visit you, and look at all the neat ruins and historical sites.

Germany: Aside the fact I really have working on any car from the place, they are rather well built and wouldn't mind owning a German made ride, assuming I could afford one.

Italy: though it s a bit of a bastardization here, I fucking love me some Italian food. Plus, there's a lot of neat places here I wanna go see to

Mexico: You to, your food kicks ass.

Norway/Finland/Sweden: I have no idea what up there, but I do wanna go and see if there's anything interesting, besides the Viking stuff I mean, which is cool on it's own.

Kailow Krow

Mar 24, 2011
America: If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!
(Thus by saying something, I'm clearly implying it's nice to say!)
Canada/America: One time as a kid growing up in Wisconsin I fell asleep in a car and woke up in Canada and thought it was still Wisconsin but and I quote "The strangers where nicers." Plural on the nicer intended. I suppose that's nice, I'm sorry if it offended anyone lol.
Wow, I didn't mean to do that I'm...
Yeah, I swear I wasn't trying to do it. But I'm laughing so hard I feel like leaving it.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Cloudydays said:
There's no end to the diverse geography you've got.
Can I use this as a pick-up line?

"Hey gurl, you got some diverse geography."

(sorry, I had to)

OT:
Uh... Moon.

I'm so glad you exist.

U.S.: Well, I felt like an idiot when I came here, but it's been a fun trip. The distinction between states and politics keeps it interesting, and you've taught me English, which is a language I want to continue using. It's kind of daunting to know that there are forty freaking nine other states to see, but one day I'll see some of them.

I'll probably come back to this thread with other countries at some point. There's a lot of them that I appreciate.

CAPTCHA: lie low

What? Why? IS THE NSA AFTER ME?

CRAP. HIDE.

Wyvern65

May 29, 2013
Ferisar said:
It's kind of daunting to know that there are forty freaking nine other states to see, but one day I'll see some of them.
I've been lucky enough to have a handful of friends from European countries over the years. When we've had the discussion about what surprised them the most about the US, one of the things that inevitably came up was how shocked they were about just how large the US really is.

Oh, and ignore that black van parked on the street. ;)

Matilda Ward

Feb 11, 2013
Ok Australia time,
umm....
You may be backwards and lagging behind other countries in every respect, but you know what, cool places like Japan and Papua New Guinea are right on your doorstep. Also your bugs makes Americans cower in fear, you have awesome animals and weird landscapes. And you produced 'Wake in Fright' one of my favorite books of all time. I like how you get different shows from all over the world. I love my country, really I do, I just wish that it was more with the times and was not directed by faulty politics.

Japan:
I love learning your language and I love your culture also your obsession to be clean and punctual which hides the craziness beneath.

Italy:
It wasn't easy man, but you stuck with being yourself for all these years, good on you.

America:
You are a very interesting character, and weird stuff seems to happen to you a lot, you are definitely news-worthy.

Trasch17

Feb 4, 2012
Desert Punk said:
Germany: You produce damn fine warriors, when you go to war the whole world follows! More seriously, great food, and awesome people, never met a german I didnt like.
Well thank you. Considering our past we really do our best at not trying to piss people of again.

UK: Your food is kinda meh but the rest is just awesome. I think I'll visit you again some time soon (and just for shits and giggles I'll order a "Shit-on-a-green" next time I go to a pub. Thank you wheelchair-guy in London, for showing me that awesome drink.).

Canada: Stay how you are because you're awesome like that.

Ireland: Drunken irish people are incredibly funny. Espacially when you, as a foreigner, are drunk too.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Desert Punk said:
Germany: You produce damn fine warriors, when you go to war the whole world follows! More seriously, great food, and awesome people, never met a german I didnt like.
Well, thank you, good sir.

America: Love your supermarkets. I have never seen peanut butter jars that large. Btw. This is serious, when i was in america once, we basically lived from that stuff alone.

Ireland: Damn you guys are nice. We were looking for the Bus station once, were my brother was supposed to arrive in half an hour and asked a guy on the street. After we didn't understand his description he actually got in the car with us and showed us the way (That was way back before everyone got gps).

Dec 15, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
Canada,
I love you and your people. You're so friendly and happy when you come visit I can't wait to see what Canada has to offer me if I ever (hopefully) go one day.
We love you too Eevee!

The Germans make excellent beer, the Swiss make great Cheese and swearing in french is a ton of fun!

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
I really Canada's vast nature and how nice people are there, i mean really they are it's mind boggling. And let's not forget they also get my kuddo's for adopting the metric system!

Italy, while their politicians may be clowns the nature is magnificent as well, also great skiing resort where people are actually friendly and the prices aren't absurd (i'm looking at you france). And let's not forget the delicious wine and food!

France, you like to joke about us Belgians and we like to return the favor and while your driving skills suck there are beautiful regions in France and most of them are fine folks (despite what the stereotypse may want us to believe) and the wine and food are great as well. I will also forever be thankful for bringing life to the great Louis De Funès.

The UK: I don't know a lot, i loved London and just love the British accent, so classy.

The US of A: Despite what people think most are actually extremely friendly and open minded (at least in my experience), I also really enjoyed the vast nature and great sights. And lets not forget the great movies and series you gave us. Next time though when you put signs "be aware rattlesnakes" there better be rattlesnakes, I came to see stuff and that's just false advertisement!

Belgium: Oh my sweet homeland, you make the best beer, chocolate and french fries. I just wish we could get over our petty language issues.