Possibility of a Pokemon Yellow remake?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
As you doods probably know, there's an upcoming Pokemon movie coming out, called Pokemon: I Choose You, that's a big budget adaptation of the first season of the anime.

As Gen 1 got a loose game adaptation in the form of Pokemon Yellow, what do you doods think are the chances of Nintendo releasing a theoretical Pokemon: Electric Yellow as a tie in?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Not likely cause of the relatively recent port of the original to 3DS.

I am fairly confident a Gen 4 remake/sequel is what will happen instead.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
0% chance of happening. FireRed & LeafGreen, unlikely, but possible. Diamond & Pearl, won't happen before after 8. gen on next gen handheld (or possibly the switch).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Isn't Yellow just Red/Blue but with a forced Pikachu for a starter?
I thought it was, yeah. But it did have all the pokes from Red and Blue in it. But at this point, its like 40,000 pokemon behind the latest one, so why would anyone bother?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
It also had other changes based on the anime, like taking on Jesse and James instead of generic Rocket Grunts a time or two, and I think the gym leaders having anime-based designs (Brock and Misty most notably).

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Silentpony said:
I thought it was, yeah. But it did have all the pokes from Red and Blue in it. But at this point, its like 40,000 pokemon behind the latest one, so why would anyone bother?
Well, Ash is eternally wandering tge World of Pokemon, so maybe it can be a massive mega-game with every region in it.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
DarklordKyo said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
It also had other changes based on the anime, like taking on Jesse and James instead of generic Rocket Grunts a time or two, and I think the gym leaders having anime-based designs (Brock and Misty most notably).
The biggest draw for me was that you were given a squirtle, a bulbasaur, and a charmander all by the time you reached Vermillion City along with your starting pikachu.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Going to say that a Diamond and Pearl remake is looking to be more likely than anything else. Honestly, with the additions of Ultra Beasts from Sun and Moon and all of the dialogue regarding dimensional travel and research, nothing screams to me more than "Dialga and Palkia take on the Ultras next" does. I wouldn't be surprised if Giratina gets involved, either, seeing as how he practically has his own dimension to live in. It just seems to me to be a perfect transition given the story. And the fanboy in me screams...

Of Team Galactic and Cyrus making a comeback

Oh, and Empoleons. Because unique typing.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Fischgopf said:
I think we'll have to wait until we get some more info on the switch, but I wouldn't consider a remake of Yellow likely. Wasn't there a rumor about a version of Sun/Moon (Stars if I recall correctly) coming out for the Switch?
Yes, and that is likely the next we will see of the Pokemon main series. After that, it's one big question mark.

Gen 4 remakes are pretty likely at this point, but I would not be surprised to see another gen 1 remake. Gen 1 is now the furthest stuck in the past on GBA with the first remakes, so modernizing it again is not a crazy notion. I personally would not be super excited since I feel we've seen enough of Kanto and its Pokemon. If gen 1 were given another remake, I would rather it be a brand new story, taking place later in the timeline so that there are more Pokemon species in Kanto, new characters, an excuse for a deeper story, etc.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hero of Lime said:
Fischgopf said:
I think we'll have to wait until we get some more info on the switch, but I wouldn't consider a remake of Yellow likely. Wasn't there a rumor about a version of Sun/Moon (Stars if I recall correctly) coming out for the Switch?
Yes, and that is likely the next we will see of the Pokemon main series. After that, it's one big question mark.

Gen 4 remakes are pretty likely at this point, but I would not be surprised to see another gen 1 remake. Gen 1 is now the furthest stuck in the past on GBA with the first remakes, so modernizing it again is not a crazy notion. I personally would not be super excited since I feel we've seen enough of Kanto and its Pokemon. If gen 1 were given another remake, I would rather it be a brand new story, taking place later in the timeline so that there are more Pokemon species in Kanto, new characters, an excuse for a deeper story, etc.
With the gen 1 games being on virtual console, and with Sun/Moon being made up mostly of gen 1 pokemon, I can practically guarantee there wont be a gen 1 remake anytime soon. Usually the additional games focus on the pokemon lacking from the main game.

Gen 4 seems a sure thing, though I would actually prefer a new plot set in Sinnoh, kind of like how there was a Black and White 2, basically Id prefer a Diamond and Pearl 2.

(I also expect Gold/Silver/Crystal to eventually get virtual consoled, just to add, then literally every game will be connectable)

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
A yellow remake is highly unlikely. Yellow was made to capitalize on the anime release, which has long since evolved beyond the first gen that yellow was representative of.