possible new fault in the Xbox360?

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
well, i was wondering when my 360 would choke on it self in some way and die, it just didnt happen like i thought it would, nor did i think it would take well over 2 1/2 years, i still dont know what happend, but it wont read any disks i put in it, and when it tries it sounds like something has come loose inside the CD reader thingy, like the laser has come off the gear track and cant move any more.

if anyone has a quick fix for this, if you know what im talking about please post how you fixed it, cause if i cant find something, im going to have to buy a new system.

(didnt get the warranty)

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
there are lots of fixes for that error, called the Open Tray Error... try searching Youtube. Notably, I remember one called the Rubber Band Trick.

They all require opening the system though, and voiding the warranty.

Microsoft will charge you 120 bucks to fix it without a warranty, and they won't touch it if you void the warranty, even if you pay them.

If you either don't have the know-how to open it up and fix it, then paying for them to fix it is cheaper then getting a new Xbox.. I have the same problem, but my gf has almost solved it in buying me a new elite :)

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
keyton777 said:
well, i was wondering when my 360 would choke on it self in some way and die, it just didnt happen like i thought it would, nor did i think it would take well over 2 1/2 years, i still dont know what happend, but it wont read any disks i put in it, and when it tries it sounds like something has come loose inside the CD reader thingy, like the laser has come off the gear track and cant move any more.

if anyone has a quick fix for this, if you know what im talking about please post how you fixed it, cause if i cant find something, im going to have to buy a new system.

lol i just had this problem and just got off of a heated phone call with xbox 360 "support". Long story short my xbox does the exact thing you described, xbox support won't honor my warranty on their replacement console and I told them how I felt. I searched the internet for ways to complain to microsoft but stumbled over possible problems instead. So i decided to try one out, but much to my surprise when I went to start a game just to see if it would work the frankenstein console must have been struck by lightning because it worked again. And what did I do you might ask...nothing absolutely nothing. I just sat there and waited. Maybe it heard how pissed off I was on the phone with the "support" staff and felt sorry for being a piece of shit. I even had the thought cross my mind to fly to microsoft's offices and throw their piece of shit through a window, but now I don't have to....yet.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Hello!

I just fixed this problem myself a few weeks ago.

Microsoft 'Support' wanted to charge me 90 Euros for the repair as my warranty was up so after a rather heated debate on the phone with them, I said fuck it and did it myself.

What you need to do is open up the 360 and superglue the little circle back onto the disc spinner, it's pretty simple when you know how. Tnere are lots of Youtube guides out there on how to open it up and how to fix the problem.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I had that problem for my first Xbox. Unfortunatly, I tried to fix it myself and voided the warrenty, forcing me to buy a new Xbox 360. If you trust your handyman skills, I'd suggest finding the problem and fixing it, if you don't, I'd call the support line or something.