Possible TRICO Footage Leaks

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Possible TRICO Footage Leaks

What may be the first-ever footage of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus creator Fumito Ueda's next game, the so-called Project TRICO, has leaked online.

Fumito Ueda's "TRICO" project has been shrouded in mystery for years now. Ueda's statements have been fiercely compiled and picked apart for hints, single images of concept art - a picture of a chain running through a stone floor - have proved ample sustenance for rampant fan speculation.

That speculation may finally culminate in something today, as a video has surfaced, leaked by PlayStation Lifestyle [http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/05/19/team-ico-next-game-revealed/], that purports to be the first-ever footage of Project TRICO. It begins with the same image from the concept art - the chain in the stone floor. The chain stirs, a clawed foot appears, and suddenly, after all the crazy theories, it's obvious: something's attached to it, something alive.

Next we see a boy, wearing a cloak not unlike the one worn by the heroes of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, running down a hallway - he runs into a clearing and slips off an overhang. Underneath there's a bottomless drop, and he's hanging onto the edge for life. Suddenly whatever was chained bursts through the clearing (after taking out a lowly guard along the way) and we see it for the first time: it's something like a cross between a puppy/rat/kitten and a gryphon, with cute feline ears and eyes, but eagle-like feathers and tiny wings.

The creature picks the boy up, the boy climbs onto its back, and we're treated to a nice montage of this boy and his gigantic friend exploring underwater caverns, moss-covered stone buildings and generally acting like a kid and his pet.

Is this for real? It does jive with what Ueda said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90463] about TRICO at GDC: that "the essence of the game is rather close to ICO." ICO had the boy and a princess as companions, this has a boy and his dog-cat-thing-with-wings. The fact that the "dog" is a gigantic beast, then, mirrors Shadow of the Colossus. Combine those two elements, and they seem to back up what Ueda said when he called TRICO a "middle ground" between ICO and SotC.

Nevertheless, it could be an elaborate fake, or maybe an old concept video that got tossed in the garbage can and picked up by some stalker fanboy. The visuals aren't entirely polished - the boy especially looks rather close to a PS2-era character model. Who knows. All I can say is: I want a griffon-dog for a pet.

UPDATE: Some folks [http://www.vg247.com/2009/05/20/leaked-trico-footage-is-real-talk-casts-doubt-on-e3-reveal/] have it on good word ("cast iron authority") that this is indeed real, though I think most of us figured it is by now. Furthermore, as many assumed, it's old footage - over a year old.

That's the good news. The bad news? Apparently the project might not be far enough along to show at E3. Unless Sony had been planning to show it for awhile now, it could be a no-show. If this leak prompts them to put something out there, then Team ICO doesn't have very much time to get ready.

Let's hope we haven't seen the last of gryphon-puppy-rat-cat-dragon for the time being.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
That chimera thing looks horrible...Its like they trying to make it cute and scary at the same time and fail at it.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
The boy looks horrid. Ps2 graphics, early gen. I hope this isn't for real, because it doesn't look like much fun. Or much you can do with it.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
oliveira8 said:
That chimera thing looks horrible...Its like they trying to make it cute and scary at the same time and fail at it.
I definitely don't think they were going for scary with it. But yes, it does took a little.. off.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Mr.Pandah said:
The boy looks horrid. Ps2 graphics, early gen. I hope this isn't for real, because it doesn't look like much fun. Or much you can do with it.
If it's real, it's probably concept footage that might be old for all we know. The creature and boy probably look drastically different now. If they're real.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
SharPhoe said:
oliveira8 said:
I definitely don't think they were going for scary with it. But yes, it does took a little.. off.
Maybe not scary but you know...threatning I dont know.

Look at the Colossus from SotC they look majestic and threatning. This...this looks like a giant clown horse. ^^

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Keane Ng said:
oliveira8 said:
Mr.Pandah said:
If it's real, it's probably concept footage that might be old for all we know. The creature and boy probably look drastically different now. If they're real.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I mean, I don't think the creators would leave the graphics like that. I'm more shocked that they would try some formula like this...I hope if they do release it, that they make it work. I just don't see them doing much with it other then "Big gryphon helps you reach platform, pet gryphon, gryphon loves you."

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeah, this looks more like concept renders than anything (aside from the opening shot with the chain). But honestly, I think I like the look of... I guess I'll call it the Beast. It's almost lolcat-cute in a way, but you also get the feeling that it could squash you if you ticked it off.

This is a team that made two extraordinary games, so I'm more than willing to trust them with this concept.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I thought that looked pretty awesome. I'm sure it's just a rough cut and will be a lot more polished when it really hits. What do you want, another brown and gray space marine shooter or something? At least this is pretty different and fresh.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Oh shit the giant bird dog thing was real... I saw a picture on another website and thought they photoshopped it

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm just waiting to see where the Sadness and Danger come in...

It is a Team ICO game afterall, they are very melencholy.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Hoky shoot! Some Trico info! I don't know whether to hope that this is real or if it's fake, but I'd rather just wait and see what Team ICO really have in store for us.

Also, I think I spotted some arrows on the bird thing's body at around 3:30. Can anyone confirm that?

EDIT: Yes, I do believe that those are arrows sticking out of the griffin's (?) butt. Interesting...

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Okay. Giant Puppy/Griffon and a little kid going on adventures. This is the best. Idea. Ever. I don't know why people are being so pessimistic about the game (of course I understand what Pedro is saying about the sadness and danger). Sure Team Ico have only made 2 games but they've been very good. Shadow was unique and interesting with new concepts for a game, so I'm sure they can pull off a little kid playing around with his giant puppy friend.
This might me the PS3 seller for me... eventually...

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Well I for one think it looked pretty sweet. Looks like the PS3 is gonna be at the point it finally has enough interesting games on it that I curse its massive pricetag for keeping me from owning one

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
I've played neither of the other games, but this one definately intrigues me. It would be cool to have a game with.... what's that word? Oh yeah, "emotion" in the story. From the talk I hear, this guy can do it. I hope this is real. Early footage, but real all the same.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Am I the only one who noticed the thing had spears sticking out of its body for the last part of it?
Yeah, someone noted that above. I thought they were stray feathers or something.

But I'll be watching for any further Trico info. This is a cool concept, though I'll bet that your pet dies at the end. It just would seem to be team Ico's style.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
I doubt they're gonna be that predictable - they already pulled that trick. I say it turns on you.
Hmmm. I only played SoTC, so I don't want to know more about anything, as I do intend to play ICO at some point :D

But you just KNOW that thing will turn out to be evil. There's just no way it won't be.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
I'm so incredibly psyched for this game. It could be a AAA Tamagotchi for all I care - I just want my own pet gryphon-rat.