Possibly Habitable Planet Confirmed By NASA

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
An average of 22C? So basically it'll be a hot, tropical planet? So either:

or

Sweet.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I, For One, Welcome Our New Kepler-22b Overlords.

We shall behave and do thy bidding.​

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Groovy. It's things like this that made me want to become a scientist, cool discoveries that push one's imagination to the limit, but forever out of your reach. I guess I should mention I'm studying to be a theoretician...

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
All fine and dandy but maybe we should start with, You know, baby steps. Like make a solid base on our own Moon first. Then possibly on Mars so we could start unearthing those long forgotten Martian artefacts that would let us finally develop a stable inter-stellar travel engine that will propel us across the universe before we even think of conquering planets 600 light years away from us...

That.. or kick the guys at CERN to develop those wormholes already.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"Possibly Habitable Planet Confirmed By NASA"

isn't this a conflict in terms?

EDIT: maybe not

Habitability be possible or impossible. Confirmation of Possibility.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Treblaine said:

No.

They've confirmed a possibility. Read the article, not the headline.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
This only makes me more depressed that I a.) Won't live long enough to see Space Travel or B.) Live long enough to see space travel, participate in space travel and then die during said space travel.

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
Great, but so what? Not to be a spoil sport, this is really cool and all, but its meaningless right now and I am guessing everyone knows it. I mean yes it can potentially support life as we know it but that doesn't mean that there IS life as we know it on the planet and as for getting there ourselves...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Korten12 said:
Let's hope that (at least for me) that it is more like Pandora, minus the smurfs.
Oh dear that image is bigger than I thought. I'll change it around.
Treblaine said:

Nope, the existence of the planet is confirmed, whether or not it's habitable is still not clear. Obvious, of course. For instance, it being warm and cozy is one thing, but I'd like the atmosphere to be breathable too.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Looking at planets is always going to have the inherent problem of how old the light is, even if we had the technology to get a look at the actual makeup from our position with information that is 600 years old anything could have happened.

Call me when we get magic quantum telescopes that let me look at what happened in a room 2 hours age (saveing it to a HD video file for posterity) and let me look across the universe in real time.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Quick, someone tell the US that there's, I dunno, space Nazis on this planet, thus pouring trillions of dollars into developing a fleet of warp-drive capable battleships, and colonizing Mars.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
600 lightyears only? According to google that is roughly about 5.676.317.040.000.000.000 km away.
While I'm partial not to have to commute so far I can't resist posting this: