Potential Save-Destroying Bug Found in Pokemon X and Y

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

Saving your game in the outskirts of Lumiose City may render your game unplayable.

Here's a quick PSA for anyone who's currently enjoying Pokemon X and Y: some users are reporting a game-breaking bug involving saving the game in the outskirts of Lumiose City. If the bug happens to you, your game freezes, and restarting the game causes it to just freeze again whenever it loads the save, effectively forcing you to delete your save file in order to progress.

A video of the glitch appeared on YouTube, with other players reporting the same bug on gamefaqs.com [http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67488169?page=17]. Users who have encountered the bug stress that there is "no workaround" and deleting your save data is the only way to get your game running again.

Specifically, the error occurs when you save the game in the the outside streets area of Lumiose City, the major capital city in the new games. The glitch seems to be affecting both physical and digital versions of the game.

We've reached out to Nintendo for an official comment on the glitch and its plans for a bug-fixing patch, but until we hear back from them, it's probably best to avoid saving in Lumiose City just to be on the safe side.

Source: Venture Beat [http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/14/some-pokemon-x-and-y-players-reporting-game-breaking-save-glitch/]

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Desert Punk said:
Steven Bogos said:

Saving your game in the outskirts of Lumiose City may kender your game unplayable.
Typo, unless you mean those annoying little fucks from Dungeons and Dragons 3.5.... :p

OT though, and I thought nintendo was supposed to be really good about this kind of thing not getting though to gold.
inb4 MISSINGNO. has returned.

*insert evil laughter*

Anyways, bad for people who lost their saves. Hope they find a fix soon.

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
I haven't experienced this (thank god) so I can't confirm, but the YouTube video lists these steps as a way to fix the save:

1. Start the game up with your wi-fi switch in the OFF position.

OR

2. Remove the SD card before booting the console up, then start the game. Relocate, save, then shut off system. You may re-insert the SD card.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Desert Punk said:
Gormech said:
Desert Punk said:
Steven Bogos said:

Saving your game in the outskirts of Lumiose City may kender your game unplayable.
Typo, unless you mean those annoying little fucks from Dungeons and Dragons 3.5.... :p

OT though, and I thought nintendo was supposed to be really good about this kind of thing not getting though to gold.
inb4 MISSINGNO. has returned.

*insert evil laughter*

Anyways, bad for people who lost their saves. Hope they find a fix soon.
MISSINGNO was so fun though! It didnt kill your game as far as I recall! Though that does bring back some nostalgia about my old days.

It only ended the entire universe.
<youtube=SaTqAwdyM1Y?t=47m4s>

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Desert Punk said:
MISSINGNO was so fun though! It didnt kill your game as far as I recall! Though that does bring back some nostalgia about my old days.
Missingno could kill your game. It didn't always, but it had the potential to.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
damn. Thanks for the heads up. Must be a rare instqance of this happening. However, I hope nintendo does something that allows you to save over there.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I always thought that bugs were rather weak in Pokemon?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

*slap*

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Wonder if they'll patch it? I mean they're putting out digital copies, so saying that they have no way to patch the games now just won't fly.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, I'm glad Nintendo can now patch their games, generally their games are VERY polished and bugs are quite rare, but not uncommon.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
There is an outskirt in Lumiose City or where is it exactly since I don't think the route count?

Either way thanks for the heads out since I still making slow progess in the game (I'm playing four games at once!) and I ain't ready to restart just yet (I still trying out the new Pokemons).

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
This seems to happen to Nintendo. Their games are really good and polished but when there's a bug it fucks you over bad (gamecube Paper Mario, Twilight Princess, now this.)

Still, they can patch it now, and it seems like there's ways to prevent it, so i's nowhere near as bad as it could be.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Nintendo does patches on their handheld games? That's news to me, never seen it happen before. It's times like these I'm glad I make it a habit to always save in a Pokemon Center. Don't know why I do it, it just feels right.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
VanQ said:
Nintendo does patches on their handheld games? That's news to me, never seen it happen before. It's times like these I'm glad I make it a habit to always save in a Pokemon Center. Don't know why I do it, it just feels right.
They patched out an exploit in Mario Kart 7.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Unfortunate, but not without a silver lining.

As already stated, now that Nintendo can patch their games, they'll undoubtably take notice of this. I'd expect a patch within the next couple of weeks.

Shame for anyone who has to wait for the patch/already restarted their games to fix it, though.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
yikes.
That is one hell of a glitch.

I'm pretty sure these will be fixed by Gamefreak soon in the coming weeks.

However someone on the forums stated that these bugs are common in Pokemon games. We just never see them because they are ironed out in Japan first before they come overseas.

Now that this is a worldwide release they don't have the luxury to fix glitches contained in one region before sending the games elsewhere.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Desert Punk said:
Apparently save glitches are a common occurrence in Pokemon games. For each installment there is always that ONE location that fucks up with the save process. We just never see them because they iron them out in Japan first before sending them to the rest of the world.

Having to restart the whole game though? Damn. That sucks hard.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I saw a top comment about this last night on the YouToobz. I told my little brother and everything, so we should be mostly safe provided this glitch doesn't apply to somewhere else in the game, too. I love bug Pokemon, but not bugged Pokemon. They need a patch for this ASAP.