Power Rangers To Be Rebooted in Live-Action Film from Lionsgate

vid87

May 17, 2010
In all my years of being a fan of the series, I never thought I'd live to see the day where I hear this news and respond, "No...for the love of God, please don't."

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Johny_X2 said:
what the power rangers series needs is less embarrassing writing and more self awareness.
The problem with trying to make a well written show out of Power Rangers is that nearly all of the fight scene footage comes directly from the Super Sentai series in Japan. So they are trying to create their own cohesive narrative while cutting and splicing to every different sets of footage together. It seems like they would be heavily constrained in what they could do. Even if they didn't want to do the trading card thing in Power Rangers, they didn't really have much of a choice.

Now the obvious solution would be to film it all themselves but I imagine the amount of money they save doing it this way is far more attractive than making a compelling show.

And I'm not going to defend Power Rangers as a "good" show, but it was definitely fun and exciting to watch as a kid. I'm pretty sure it's that basic principle that has kept it around for 20 years while so many other good kids shows have disappeared. Kids shows can be well written, but it seems the quality of the show rarely affects the shows popularity.

EDIT: Oops, messed up the quoting.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
I freaking called it.

Just last week, I was talking with somebody and I told him that there WILL be a Power Rangers movie within the next five years. My logic was this: nostalgia pretty much has a timer on it, and that timer is twenty years (do you feel old yet?). The people who first grew up with the show are now probably running Hollywood, or at least have enough say to sell it to the big producers.

Whatever they do with the show should be interesting. Here is hoping that its a character driven kung fu action movie with only a few seconds of the Zord, but I'll take anything. After all, there is no way it could be worse than Power Rangers Turbo.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I want to see this happen. I'm too old to enjoy Power Rangers as a kids show. But I'm down for a live action movie that takes the concept more seriously. And it's a reboot of the original Power Rangers. I'm so down for that. When I was a kid, I used to be the Red Ranger. And I had all the toys. I'm guessing a lot of you played with Power Rangers with your friends during childhood.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dontscrewitupdontscrewitupdontscrewitup....

...Ah, crap. Michael Bay's gonna be involved, isn't he?

The Gentleman said:
*sigh...* Can we not do this? Part of the charm of Power Rangers was its sheer campyness. Unless you're going to go for that, walk away from this project...
I wouldn't call it camp. It was closer to "so bad it's good."

Lizardon said:
Does it really count as a reboot of the franchise if the franchise has been putting out a new installment almost every year since 1993?
I would say so, considering we've been rebooting comics that have been running more or less constantly since the sixties or seventies.

Fasckira said:
If they can persuade Amy Jo Johnson (the original Pink Power Ranger) to be in it I will be delighted. Shes lovely. :)
I'm pretty sure it's going to be six Jason David Franks, two in dresses.

josemlopes said:
Obviously they are going to fuck it up and make an unnecessarily serious reboot with a tacticool uniform like this:
Too colourful.

DrunkenElfMage said:
I freaking called it.
You called something that's been talked about over the last 2-3 years?

It was a given. All we were missing was confirmation....

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
GOD. FUCKING. DAMNIT!

I wasn't really pissed about Michael Bay's transformers because, honestly, Transformers was before my time. It wasn't really my childhood that the movie industry was fucking with then, so I was able to enjoy them a bit more than the average fan.

But now we're starting to get into my childhood. HANDS FUCKING OFF, MOVIE INDUSTRY! HANDS FUCKING OFF! IF I SEE ANYONE REACH FOR THAT FORBIDDEN COOKIE, I WILL COLLECT YOUR FUCKING HANDS! GOT IT?

Next I'll be hearing about a Beast Wars gritty reboot by Michael Bay (now THAT was my Transformers, right there!).

EDIT: Of course, if they exhume the corpse Ivan Ooze and copy/paste the over-the-top personality from the first movie, we may be talking.

But this is HOllywood. Its gonna be "gritty", shoot for a Teen rating, and the characters will be one note, white, chiseled heroes. Fuck.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I don't have high hopes. Instead of staying with the fans who grew up with it, they just kept dumbing it down even further for the same age group it was originally for. The actors, the CGI or lack thereof, has just gotten worse progressively for several seasons.

Unless they make it more "adult", it's going to fail.

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
For a second there I thought they were talking about that dreadful grimdark fan film that's being slapped together, but this is almost as bad/good. Considering that my love for Power Rangers died after SPD, and the recent neo-Saban series have been absolutely wretched, any enjoyment I'm getting out of Power Rangers these days is purely ironic. I may end up watching it just to see if they miss the mark, which I have a feeling they will. Of course I may be surprised and see something that's on a par with a good season like Time Force, who knows. And if it does totally botch I can just rewatch Zyuranger, so no harm there.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It look like some members dream had come true (from the thread I made a week ago).

Still they got a tough job if they want to make it appealing outside of children demography.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Dear Entertainment Media:

Please make us some new things. We promise we like new things, even though we also like old things. Honestly, we prefer new things. New things are awesome.

--Morology!

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Marter said:
Dreadman75 said:
Seriously?! These are the movies you decide to cite as some of Lionsgate's best work? TWILIGHT OF ALL THINGS?! What is wrong with you? Saban, just saying this does not inspire confidence, especially if he wants a Power Rangers movie in the same vein as those listed above.
<url=http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=twilight.htm>Sure it does.

Have you seen how much money Twilight's made? That's what these people are caring about in that statement. They're talking about the ability to market these types of films.

The one you should be picking on is Divergent, which did nowhere near the numbers of the other two (although it was still a success).
Unless they want to market towards the Twilight audience.

I look forward to the Pink Ranger/Putty/Crab monster romance triangle.

"There was something different about Reginald. The way the sun twinkled in his eyes, the way his claws gripped the cafeteria dinner tray. But surely he was too cool to notice me. I was just a clumsy, stunning, world famous superhero slash gymnast. I was literally invisible to him - Because his compound eye picked up colour at an abnormal wavelength."

"Hello" I said shyly.

**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK**CLICK** he joked. His friends laughed in agreement. How cruel he could be to my delicate womanly needs.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Well...I'm happy, look on the brightside at least Lionsgate is a decent studio...

And lets hope we get some decently articulated Zord toys for once...

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Hahaha sure, I hope it's good or whatever.

You know I'm actually surprised it took this long for this to happen.

Luminous Chroma

Mar 10, 2010
As a twenty-something geek, I'm exactly the right age to have my nostalgia repackaged and resold like this. However, I suspect the movie will be one of thee things:

1) A bland, semi-decent but quickly-forgotten bit of action fluff.

2) Jaw-droppingly horrible. Full of bad writing, worse acting and the kind of 'humor' Saban favors. (I'm looking at you, Bulk and Skull/Spike)

3) Actually pretty good. Reasonable script, good effects, and a likable cast of charismatic young actors who can sell the audience on the glorious silliness that is Power Rangers.

I think Option #1 is the most likely outcome. I'll be pulling for #3, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think it's also worth mentioning that, for anyone interested in trying out the Japanese Super Sentai shows, we get several movies every year. They're smaller affairs, with production values a few notches above the weekly TV episodes, but they're always good, silly fun for kids and adult geeks who love multicolored, spandex-clad superheroes.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Okay, if we're really going to do this, I must set a few rules:

1) Give Trini a girl's costume, or give Kimberly a boy's costume. As a little kid, I always wondered why Trini didn't get a skirt. Of course, it wasn't until over a decade later that I found out the reason behind that, but still.

2) Do NOT turn Kimberly into 'that girl.' Do not make her smoking hot, or shallow, or mean, or an air head, or slutty, or anything else that seems to happen to so many female characters that get rebooted. The same goes for Trini, but I a less worried about her than Kimberly.

3) Get the actor who plays Tommy, Jeffery, to be in the movie. That man has fully embraced his legacy and he just rolls with it. He still appears in the new seasons from time to time from what I understand. Same thing for Bulk and Skull. Not new Bulk and Skull, but he original two guys.

4) Do not go for the gritty reboot. This is Might Morphin Power Rangers here. There is a certain childhood innocence that naturally goes with Power Rangers. Sucking that out will be like sucking out its very soul. You must find a way to balance that.

Follow these rules, and we'll see what we get.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

Enough with the remakes. Why can't you people make an entirely new film for freaking once?

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I'm heavily disappointed. The last thing the franchise needs is more Mighty Morphin wankery. There are so many other seasons out there to choose from, hell, they could even make their own original team. But once again, they focus purely on the first season because "BRAND BRAND BRAND BRAND BRAND".

Seriously, the whole thing reads like a damn marketing campaign - the kind you'd send to industry executives so they can put their stamp of approval on it, not the public kind you'd send to your prospective audience. And I'm not even going to get into the fact that this is going to be yet another reboot.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I am totally up for this. It can be super serious or silly and goofy as long it has the Power Rangers in their coloured armour I am up for it. Also they have to have like five different upgrades through the movie from getting swords to giant combined robots.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Fasckira said:
If they can persuade Amy Jo Johnson (the original Pink Power Ranger) to be in it I will be delighted. Shes lovely. :)

Teenage wet-dream nostalgia aside, I reckon this could be good if it were handled by the right people but sadly I dont think the right people work at Lionsgate. A reboot based on the original needs to be funny, cliché and over-the-top, whereas I think Lionsgate will try and make it a bit too self-depreciating, with too many "Urgh, look how retarded we are being!" moments in the script.

Meh, time as always will tell.

I bet they'll cast megan fox instead.. at which point all power rangers fans go and pledge their loyalty to lord Zed.

this is what would happen if Micheal Bay got a hold of the power rangers

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Reboot?...Why hasn't this series kind of become final fantasy at this point in that each new series doesn't try to line up continuity wise with the previous? Iunno I stopped paying attention after Turbo (That was the one where the Zord parts were vehicles right?)

Eh I don't really care yeah I watched the show as a kid but I certainly wasn't passionate about it nor have I let nostalgia convince me it was something more than it was or become territorial over everything that was part of my childhood (looking at you Turtles and Toy Robot fans).

So hey if they end up dressing the rangers up in Halo armor or whatever heh yeah I'll be in line to see how they "Dark Knight" this. Actually I'm starting to get really excited about how they'll "fuck this up"

I will say though if this were the next Michael Bay project and it was titled Beast Wars or Reboot I would be throwing a shit fit...