Pratchett Gives Thumbs Up to Discworld Cop Show

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Awesome. I loved the Hogfather adaptation, and liked the Colour of Magic one too. (Haven't seen the Going Postal miniseries yet, but I'm looking forward to Netflix picking it up too.) Hopefully the new series will match that quality; at least with the writing staff, in any case, that looks to be true.

Can't wait, and hope to see it here in Canada!

-- Steve

Wastedtime

Nov 18, 2009
To me this will come down the the cast and how well then can portray The Watch, still i´m hopefull :)

Feb 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
There's no indication of when the series will air, but hopefully, it will be relatively soon. With all the special effects needed to bring the Discworld to life, however, that seems rather unlikely.
I'm not sure on this at all. Discworld talks of many great things, but it's rare that any are seen. How many times is an actual spell cast in the Discworld novels? Apart from a few "furrinners", what's gonna take the cost? Apart from C.M.O.T. Dibbler.

However, I do hope that it's dealt with properly. Going Postal had its central message ripped out and replaced with something insidious.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
bahumat42 said:
Rylot said:
I'm actually looking forward to this. I was severely underwhelmed by the TV miniseries but having a show that pokes fun at either Cops or CSI could keep more with the satirical nature of the books (if that's the route they take). If they can some how pull off the visuals this will be the greatest thing ever.
which 1? theres been 3
Shit, really?... Now that I think about it might have been a straight to DVD movie with Tim Curry.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Do note that Prime Focus isn't the folks who did the various Sky 1 Discworld TV moviesL that was The Mob.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Huh, color me interested. I've read a few of the Discworld novels, though never any of the city watch ones, and I gotta say, Terry Jones is a perfect fit for this.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
This constant need to adapt anything even slightly popular into a different medium is kind of soul destroying. I love the Discworld, love Pratchett, love the watch, and have a great time reading them. The appeal and art of storytelling is vastly different between book and television, and I don't see how they can do justice to a bunch of characters that have such an intimately personal appeal to seasoned readers. The Sky adaptations have been an entertaining experiment at very best, and downright unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. A similar idea, but with other people writing the stories? No thanks.

The games were good though.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
bahumat42 said:
Good to know, I'll probably find it online later since I seriously doubt any video stores that haven't closed down are still carrying it.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Plinglebob said:
Oh dear.

Sadly, the specials that have been on the past few years have shown that Discworld really doesn't translate well to a visual medium and with the Watch books being among my favourites (Vimes is a DUDE!!), I can't imagine it working.
As someone said before me, Prime Focus didn't make the other TV specials. Also, the books focusing on The Watch don't have that many things that would require special effects. Additionally, the show could focus more on the day-to-day cases that don't threaten to destroy the world.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Hmmm, I think this is one of those things that will be either really awesome or absolutely awful. Really hoping for the former cause it has a lot of potential to be good :)

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
This could be really good, or it could suck. I'm really hoping for the former. The general idea sounds like it has a lot of potential though, and having Terry Jones as a writer is a good call in my opinion.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
Hmm, I'm not sure how much CGI this will need, because most situations the watch runs into are just crime drama's in nature. They don't often get close to magic, except the one where Vimes tries to arrest a dragon...