Pratchett Gives Thumbs Up to Discworld Cop Show

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
I really hope they get this right. The Watch are my favourite Discworld characters and, done well, a T.V show could be great. I'm not sure how to feel about the "crime-a-week" approach, depending on episode length it could spoil the tone or rush the character development. It would need to be an hour long an episode so as not to spread the character depth too thin. The opening episode will be hard to do as they will have to introduce the characters in such a way as to allow non-Pratchett fans to keep up. Still, I'd be lying if I claimed I wasn't hyped.

Fetzenfisch said:
If it can keep up the Quality of Color of Magic or even Going Postal, it would be brilliant. But the average Nightwatch story wont even need big effects. Its about crime in a wacky city. Its not CSI Narnia.
I would love to see CSI Narnia.
"As you can see, the spear entered Aslan's skull here..."

ace_the_poet

Feb 17, 2010
I very want this to actually happen. I don't even care if it sucks. I just want to see them take a shot at it. Heck, I've watched every episode of Legend of the Seeker, the adaptation of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series - those really sucked, but I still enjoyed them. Here's hoping.

slightly evil

Feb 18, 2010
I was worried until they said Terry Jones, now i'm optimistic.
If they ruin Vimes, Hoppip will be repaid in blood -__-

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
'Wait, I have a TV-Show about my books? When did this happen?'
'Last year, Terry. You were there, remember?'
/bad alzheimers joke.

I hope Pratchett's still up for this, his books are awesome but I've been noticing that the quality of writing on his part has been going down a bit. Not that the story's bad, it's just that some of the writing is seemingly redundant and repetitive.
I hope this turns out as good as the movies.

Oh, by the way, I'm pretty sure Vimes retired in the books.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
As long as they get it right, awesome. With Pratchett actually overseeing the thing Im hopeful.

If they get it wrong...

Lokithrsourcerer

Nov 24, 2008
I was just this weekend discussing Pratchett with a friend and said of all the stories I'd like to see made into film it would be the Vimes saga but it would have to be a series not a film to work this makes me a happy panda!!!! [>_<] - exited face

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
I hope this is done well. The Pratchett sense of humor is difficult to capture, and the existing films have been hit-or-miss to date.

Lokithrsourcerer

Nov 24, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
I really, really, really hope this is good. And that they leave David Jason to the side.
David Jason was great in the other shows in fact all the casting in Hogfather and colour of magic was good (not seen going postal yet just finished the book so its on the to-do list :D)

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
shirin238 said:
Hmm, I'm not sure how much CGI this will need, because most situations the watch runs into are just crime drama's in nature. They don't often get close to magic, except the one where Vimes tries to arrest a dragon...
Hopefully, none.

Bring back animation! It's probably never going to happen, though. I'd much rather see this
than this.
Seriously, I don't get the shift away from traditional animation. Is it because it's more expensive, or takes longer, or no-one else is doing it anymore? Even things like The Simpsons is partially CGI now.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The city of Ankk-Morpork is a little like the real world Budapest
I always saw it more as a representation of London with the river Ankk being like the Thames.

Can't wait for this though as I love everything to do with Discworld!

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I have only one question: WHO SHALL PORTRAY NOBBY NOBBS!?

It's a shame Pete Postlethwaite died; apparently Pratchett always imagined Sam Vimes to resemble him (albeit a slightly younger version of him). Still, it would also be interesting to see who gets his part too.

Oh, and before I forget: WOOOOOOO DISCWORLD TV CRIME SERIES!!!! Words fail to express my joy :D

Wakey652

Nov 1, 2010
The watch books are my favourite in the series as I'm sure they are for many others. I agree that the Vimes, Carrot and Nobbs roles are incredibly important to get right but can't think of any brit actors that could pull them off? Vetinari also needs to be someone who is able to act in a very understated manner.

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
Antitonic said:
shirin238 said:
Hmm, I'm not sure how much CGI this will need, because most situations the watch runs into are just crime drama's in nature. They don't often get close to magic, except the one where Vimes tries to arrest a dragon...
Hopefully, none.

Bring back animation! It's probably never going to happen, though. I'd much rather see this
than this.
Seriously, I don't get the shift away from traditional animation. Is it because it's more expensive, or takes longer, or no-one else is doing it anymore? Even things like The Simpsons is partially CGI now.
I'd love to see another animated Discworld adaptation like the Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music ones. I loved them as a kid, even before I'd read a single Discworld novel. Animated Thief of Time or Small Gods... mmmm...

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Heck, if they don't make any more TV-film versions, there should be enough material just in the existing books that can be mined for at least a whole season. They're quite dense after all, you'd need a few episodes to cover each one and there's a lot of different threads and subplots, some that get resolved or kick off halfway through rather than being constant.