Pratchett Talks Games

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
pigeon_of_doom said:
GothmogII said:
*Revs up chainsaw* My eyesight is a little poor, what was that you just wrote? -_^
Fun as his stuff is, he hasn't redefined fiction for a new generation or invented any techniques. He's admitted as much himself. No shame in him not being a Virginia Woolf, Tolstoy or Shakespeare though.

If that hasn't placated you then I better book my plane ticket.
(Wasn't all that serious about the chainsaw btw.) Actually...I've often wondered about that, who exactly can he be likened to if he's one of such a very few people to do fantasy/comedy and do it well? I mean, off the top of my head, the only person I can really think of is Piers Anthony, and even then, a lot of his work is punny to the extreme.

Even Gaiman, whom Pratchett has collaborated with a number of times tends towards dryer humour, if there is humor used at all.

I guess the question is, why can't a book be considered 'groundbreaking' or a 'classic' if it relies on parody or humour? If the only alternative is that it has to be a dry, in-depth examination of it's subject. Then I'd agree, I'd rather the Discworld stay right where it is.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Trivun said:
Wait, she's the daughter of Terry Pratchett? Awesome, I wonder if she'd ever consider making games based on her dad's stuff? That'd be great, especially after seeing the earlier Discworld based games, such as the first one on the PS1 a while back.
I think she'd prefer to be known as Rhianna Pratchett, instead of The-Daughter-Of-Terry Pratchett.
And why would we want her to work on Discworld games when her dad is still alive and kicking?

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Nooo...I thought it was going to be terry pratchett! I loved the point 'n' click discworld noir detective game.

That was awesome...

Stay away from the mundy case!

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
I was never disputing his huge place in the fantasy genre, although that's a rather limited sphere of influence. Humour and satire are nothing new in fiction, although Pratchett does it brilliant, he doesn't add anything new to it.

Anyway, back on topic,His daughter doesn't seem to be saying anything too revolutionary either. it's good that it's being acknowledged publicly but the common Hollywood tropes in gaming have been obvious since the mid to late 90's. Everything else was discussed by Daniel Floyd in this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jdG2LHair0].

Feb 13, 2008
pigeon_of_doom said:
Has she actually had any work published though? Unless she's been hired on the assumption that genius is hereditary, and even then, her dad is hardly a literary innovator.
Rhianna has been writing reviews for PC Zone & the Guardian for a number of years. Edge even counted her amongst the top 100 women in the Games Industry, an elite cadre to be sure. That's apart from her work on Overlord, Dungeon Hero, Mirror's Edge and a little known game called the Prince of Persia.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
It's so bad ass that Terry Pratchett's daughter writes for videogames. I think her writing is great. I loved Overlord. Frankly, this isn't exactly a new statement, though. People have been trashing videogame writing for ages. But I don't recall very many people talking about why it's bad, other than "well, it's more about shooting things than story." People have used writers as integral parts of their development process. Valve's guy is a published Sci-Fi author.

Ka_huna

Jun 23, 2009
Mirrors Edge had a story?
I liked the game but the plot consisted of 'jump across rooftops with bag'

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
a little known game called the Prince of Persia.
Which one? I almost hope it was Warrior Within, just for the hypocrisy. I haven't played it, but from what I've heard the design shift was in the direction she complains about here. Thanks for the information, but while game journalism is regarded as a possible entry into the industry "proper", wouldn't you need some kind of background in fiction as well to get the positions she's had. That's what I'm puzzled about, unless one of the developers just took a chance with her based on unpublished work or her vision.

I have played none of the games she's been involved in though so I can't really comment too much on them I suppose.

Boxpopper

Feb 5, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Aww damn it, am i the only one who thought this would be about Terry Pratchett? Got my hopes up for nothing.
You aren't alone. Oh well, I dunno if they could make a proper game for the Discworld universe. I could perhaps see a KOTOR-like game for The Color of Magic. You'd play as Rincewind and have Twoflower and the Luggage to be your starting party.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
pigeon_of_doom said:
Which one? I almost hope it was Warrior Within, just for the hypocrisy. I haven't played it, but from what I've heard the design shift was in the direction she complains about here.
A quick IMDB search...
She worked on the cel-shaded one (i.e. the latest), but apparantly she only did additional dialogue. Seems she didn't work on the actual story on that one.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Lexodus said:
We do need more writers involved in games. Not 'game writers' but actual writers. They know how to craft a story and make things special, and [b/]nowadays[/b] that's all being forgone for the latest graphics and 'gritty realism' (total bullshit).
Now that is bullshit. Game storys are getting better. Not amazingly so, but a lot of them can match up to hollywood action fliks. The games of the generation before last couldn't even do that.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
It must be much harder to write an interesting story for a game if you're not someone like Kojima who oversees the entire production process and is free to make the whole thing into a terrible anime rather than a game.

A game writer have to make lots of game dialog be about game elements and mechanics. Say the player needs instructing on how yellow goblins can tear down purple obelisks (or whatever). The writer is tasked with making the info getting to the player as smooth as possible, only that's close to impossible. The best you can really hope for in regards to those sequences is a pun or two.

She seems cool, and I've heard good things about Heavenly Sword's story, but then again I've heard horrible things about Mirror's Edge's so...

Now that is bullshit. Game storys are getting better. Not amazingly so, but a lot of them can match up to hollywood action fliks. The games of the generation before last couldn't even do that.
I'd say the overall quality is getting better, but there are still a few games in the past that overshadow most of today's productions, like Star Control 2 or Torment.

Drakey

May 17, 2008
Explosions first, talk later, the usual. Saves money, makes sales, but makes your customer base a bunch of one night stands. Its a reality that games are made with effects and play mechanics in mind first, then a loose story to hold the seams together. YAY it looks good on my 1080p tv, and the KaBooms! The Earth Shattering KaBooms! wait, hold on, the instant gratification is wearing off, wheres the booze? The story line, the story line should help me hold on to the excitement... HIRE A WRITER QUICK! does the audience care? ...you decide.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
nilcypher said:
All I have to say is that she is a woman very much after my own heart.
Quite.

One of the things that most easily destroys games nowadays is when "story" is left as secondary, as something to throw together and "paint over", and not done like the core element of a game that it is... The result is more often than not inadequate, and at the very least awkward, forced and plagued with Deus Ex Machinas.

Seriously devs, we've reached a point where you can't just sit back and baffle us with the newest technological advancement, mostly because the newest advancement is almost imperceptible. Give the WHOLE game some thought, the story is a core element to a good game as much as the very engine the game runs on... Start treating it like so.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I really hope that plots in games evolve: especially since I want to write them at some point.

I like this lady. I agree that gritty anti-heroes are far too prelevant nowadays. I enjoy the lighter side of heroes, like Viewtiful Joe or Link.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
How about they make a game where you try to commit a crime and not attract attention by shooting anyone or blowing things up. Many years ago when Sega still mattered they had attempted game called Picassio or Picassi, something along those lines, where you play an art thief that travels around the globe stealing famous paintings while avoiding detection of any kind since you are unarmed. Now imagine that game but with the added twist as any forensic evidence you leave behind makes he next heist harder as the police get closer to discovering who you are. Now sadly Dreamcast went up in smoke and thus many of the games became vaporware since.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
I agree and disagree with her.

I don't care about the hero. I really don't. All of the archetypes have been done, just with different back grounds.

I also don't care about the story unless the game is built around, or for, the story. I much prefer games where the story takes a back seat to the fun, and the story acts as a pace changer to the action. I.E. Diablo, Halo 1, Uncharted, etc.

Which, oddly, is how most games are done.

I do agree with her on the hero bit... sorta. Anti-heroes are boring unless done right, and most aren't done right. Max Payne... good anti-hero. The Bionic Commando guy? Pretty terrible. I feel this is why Nathan Drake, the guy from Uncharted, is so liked.

I don't agree with her massive weapons comment. They're fun. Realistic big weapons aren't, but unrealistic ones are. BFG's, for example. Or huge swords. Sort of what the guy in Overlord uses.

Feb 13, 2008
Meado said:
pigeon_of_doom said:
Which one? I almost hope it was Warrior Within, just for the hypocrisy. I haven't played it, but from what I've heard the design shift was in the direction she complains about here.
A quick IMDB search...
She worked on the cel-shaded one (i.e. the latest), but apparantly she only did additional dialogue. Seems she didn't work on the actual story on that one.
Wiki's usually a lot more indepth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhianna_Pratchett