Pre-Order Gods & Heroes, Get A (Real Life) Roman Helmet

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Pre-Order Gods & Heroes, Get A (Real Life) Roman Helmet

Have you always wanted a Roman centurion's helmet? Well, then, perhaps you should consider the new Collector's Edition of Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising.

The regular version of Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising is already out in stores, but the Collector's Editions are coming out both tomorrow and in a month. Fans of Ancient Rome may want to hold out for the Collector's Helmet Edition the game, since that version will ship with a genuine replica of a Roman centurion's helmet.

According to Amazon, this helmet is "fully wearable" and weighs a total of six pounds. Accordingly, it'll have "a pronounced red plume and is made of heavy gauge high carbon steel complete with brass accents and fittings."

Currently, Amazon has the version of the game listed at $219.99, and it's due out on July 21st. However, if this seems like your sort of deal, then you should probably pre-order the game soon. Amazon only has 200 of the helmeted editions in supply.

Source: Massively

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
manythings said:
... I really want that. Couldn't care less about the game though.
That seems to be the general consensus on the Web.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Cool. Not a $216 cool though, maybe $60. And if it's only 200 pieces, it'll be a war of the highest bidder real soon. Also; though the idea behind the game sounds cool, it looks like shit.
I'm not falling for it until they start handing out genuine suits of full roman segmentata armour.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
vansau said:
Fans of Ancient Rome may want to hold out for the Collector's Helmet Edition the game, since that version will ship with a genuine replica of a Roman centurion's helmet.
"a genuine replica"...doesn't that strike others as an odd phrase? Still, it's one of the best game give-aways I've seen.

Sep 14, 2009
that is frickin awesome, and someday i will get a full suit of armor like that (perhaps the myrmidon armors from troy, i really liked those helmets) but regardless if they start selling off full suits of armor like that helmet then you bet your silly ass i'll be goin for one.

too bad the game i couldn't really care less for...ah well

Wado Rhyu

May 19, 2010
i rather go to a local balcksmith and ask him to make it. would cost rougly the saem and i don't have to get that terrible looking game.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
IndianaJonny said:
vansau said:
Fans of Ancient Rome may want to hold out for the Collector's Helmet Edition the game, since that version will ship with a genuine replica of a Roman centurion's helmet.
"a genuine replica"...doesn't that strike others as an odd phrase? Still, it's one of the best game give-aways I've seen.
Yeah, that was kinda the point of the phrase. I find the idea of a "genuine replica" somewhat amusing.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
BrotherRool said:
Then I can pretend to be Rory the Roman :D

(Stepping up the nerdity since 1991)

Rory never wore one though ;)

(Nerdity to full, Cap'n!)
I see your picture and raise you an animated GIF

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llxujj8x4w1qfc60t.gif

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
vansau said:
IndianaJonny said:
vansau said:
Yeah, that was kinda the point of the phrase. I find the idea of a "genuine replica" somewhat amusing.
The term actually makes sense. If it was made out of plastic, but looked like a Roman helmet, I would just call it a replica. Considering the weight, it is probably made out of proper metal that would normally have been used for making it back in Roman times. Since that is the case I would call it a genuine replica because it is made exactly like a real one would be made.

Feb 13, 2008
BrotherRool said:
BrotherRool said:

That Rory is the Auton version which was removed and replaced by the real Rory Williams at the end of The Pandorica Opens because the Nestene Consciousness that was controlling him was annihilated.

Trust the Plastic. ;)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
BrotherRool said:
BrotherRool said:

That Rory is the Auton version which was removed and replaced by the real Rory Williams at the end of The Pandorica Opens because the Nestene Consciousness that was controlling him was annihilated.

Trust the Plastic. ;)
Okay, we're getting close to you winning now.

However, since Rory has memories of his Auton days, and his Auton reverted to "Rory" by eventually following the aim of single-mindedly guarding Amy forever, and because several later plots mention Rory reminding us how he waited that long for Amy (including Amy's mind screw in the Doctors Wife) I would argue that by the point that Rory starts guarding the Pandorica, he is Rory.

And that Rory has a hat
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lihj8bi3Gb1qc7bnqo1_500.gif

Feb 13, 2008
BrotherRool said:
And that Rory has a hat
HAD a hat.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17600000/A-Christmas-Carol-doctor-who-17676801-500-509.jpg

We've already seen him put it down, and he's not wearing it when they got dressed up for their wedding night...

Although, that would be rather odd indeed.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
IndianaJonny said:
vansau said:
Strictly speaking, is it a "giveaway" if they charge you $216? Seems more like you're purchasing a game and also a helmet.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
BrotherRool said:
And that Rory has a hat
HAD a hat.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17600000/A-Christmas-Carol-doctor-who-17676801-500-509.jpg

We've already seen him put it down, and he's not wearing it when they got dressed up for their wedding night...

Although, that would be rather odd indeed.
He's hidden it behind his sexy fringe :D

However I'm a fraud, I had to resort to wikipedia! I can't bear the shame and concede defeat to you. Having defeated me in battle only you are now the rightful owner of the the one true roman-replica-helmet of +1 nerdity. Wear it with gleeful pride, my worthier opponent

Feb 13, 2008
BrotherRool said:
However I'm a fraud, I had to resort to wikipedia! I can't bear the shame and concede defeat to you. Having defeated me in battle only you are now the rightful owner of the the one true roman-replica-helmet of +1 nerdity. Wear it with gleeful pride, my worthier opponent
A worthy challenge indeed. I hereby award you the Friendship of Rassilon for ninja'ing me in the first place. :)

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
666Chaos said:
IndianaJonny said:
vansau said:
Not really it actually makes perfect sense to me. When talking about something that would be considered an antique there can be both fake and genuine replicas.
You're going to have to help me along on this one; what's the difference between a fake replica and a genuine replica?