Preacher Finally Unveils Its First Unholy Trailer

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Preacher Finally Unveils Its First Unholy Trailer

AMC has finally presented its first Preacher trailer, and comic book fans won't be disappointed.

It's been a long road, but <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132072-AMC-Working-on-Preacher-TV-SeriesPreacher is finally getting its hotly-anticipated adaptation. Based on the controversial Vertigo Comics series from Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, Preacher follows Jesse Custer, a small-town preacher who travels America to find God after learning the Almighty abandoned Heaven. The original series was infamous (and beloved) for its violent and darkly blasphemous content - and after watching AMC's first trailer, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132837-AMCs-Preacher-Will-Need-to-Change-Some-Stuff>it seems Preacher will be faithful on that score.

The trailer is light on details, but introduces Jesse Custer as a man of the cloth with a dark past. After learning that a woman in his congregation is a victim of domestic abuse, Jesse decides to return to his old ways in a very public confrontation. Along the way we see quick shots of Tulip, Jesse's ex-girlfriend and mob assassin, and Cassidy, the Irish vampire who will become one of Jesse's best friends.

[gallery=4959]

What we don't see yet are Preacher's supernatural elements - such as Heaven, the Word of God, or the Saint of Killers. But the trailer wonderfully embodies the dark Western tone Preacher was aiming for, and that should be enough to get fans excited.

Preacher's first ten-episode season will premiere in 2016.

Source: <a href=http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-11/02/preacher-trailer-revealed>Wired

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wait...what? This is a thing that is happening?! I vaguely remember a newgrounds game of this; seeing all that insanity on the big screen sounds like a brilliant idea that should have happened sooner. Consider me invested. Err...with caution, obviously! *Checks around for witnesses of mistake*

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
still hoping Herr Starr's character arc remains unchanged, still they're keeping arseface in so maybe? on topic, it looks good, Dominic Cooper looks and sounds the part of Jesse, Cassidy seems to be perfectly cast as well, that line at the end was just the right amount of slimy mixed with Irish Charm, needs his glasses though.

[http://s282.photobucket.com/user/Soulrender95/media/AkULQ5u.jpg.html]

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Nothing in this trailer assures me that it is not going to simply have the name of the Graphic Novel, while having non of what made it liked by people. Well, except for tough preacher, maybe. From what I can understand about this trailer, n this particular series Jessie Carther is going to be a guy who does illegal stuff while posing as a preacher, and Tulip is just his pardner, with who he'll have the sexies. No Saint of Killers, no Genesis, no creepy rednecks (well, OK, those are not to be spoiled about), no Vatican and its enforcer Starr and Cassidy is apparently just a coocky sidekick with a dash of Irish to make him "funnier". Oh boy, can't wait to not watch it.

Also, apparently Tulip is black now. And before posting a reply about how etnicity doesn't make character, how nobody cares (or at least should care) about it as long as the character is good, answer me this: "Does it mean that in the next Blade adaptation it's OK to cast Brad Pitt instead of Whesley Snipes?".

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Literately don't care about Tulip's ethnicity. More concerned with the lack of supernatural and the ridiculous Irish Accent. No Word of God?

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Looks like shit. Jesse is a badass, but he certainly isn´t going around with a grainy voice everywhere he goes.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
There isn't a groan loud enough.

Okay, so, I wasn't a fan of Preacher back when it was relevant, mainly because of its immaturity and meandering storyline.

But now? 2015? Preacher is so 90's it hurts. The painful attempt at making an 'edgy' plot in which Christianity and God are the bad guys - hell, even in 1995 that stuff was dated. On top of that, it's full of Ennis' trademark flaws: pointless 'shock' scenes and the occasional wall of text.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Never read the comic but I'm still mildly interested in the show. Maybe it'll turn into a Watchman thing where I watch an adaptation before I check out the comic. I haven't really seen any other AMC series though so I guess this could, potentially be my first.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Mister K said:
Nothing in this trailer assures me that it is not going to simply have the name of the Graphic Novel, while having non of what made it liked by people. Well, except for tough preacher, maybe. From what I can understand about this trailer, n this particular series Jessie Carther is going to be a guy who does illegal stuff while posing as a preacher, and Tulip is just his pardner, with who he'll have the sexies. No Saint of Killers, no Genesis, no creepy rednecks (well, OK, those are not to be spoiled about), no Vatican and its enforcer Starr and Cassidy is apparently just a coocky sidekick with a dash of Irish to make him "funnier". Oh boy, can't wait to not watch it.

Also, apparently Tulip is black now. And before posting a reply about how etnicity doesn't make character, how nobody cares (or at least should care) about it as long as the character is good, answer me this: "Does it mean that in the next Blade adaptation it's OK to cast Brad Pitt instead of Whesley Snipes?".
You are comparing a secondary lead character to a major character who has like 4 movies would't it be more fair to make Mother's Milk played by Mark Acheson

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
How are they going to handle all of the gay and gay rape humor that made up the majority of the series? Only half of the comics, if that much, directly follow the plot as it is.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Shiftygiant said:
Literately don't care about Tulip's ethnicity. More concerned with the lack of supernatural and the ridiculous Irish Accent. No Word of God?
I seriously looked at that and thought, "that's supposed to be Cassidy?"

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Wow. So they're actually going to do it?

I have a REALLY hard time believing this will wind up being as dark and violent as the comic it's based on, but that doesn't mean it can't still be somewhat entertaining.

I'm really curious to see which actors they get to play the Saint of Killers and Jody (assuming they're in this). Jody especially may be one of my all time favorite villains.

Also minor point, but shave down Jesse's beard some. In the comics he basically only had a 5' o clock shadow.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Ihateregistering1 said:
Also minor point, but shave down Jesse's beard some. In the comics he basically only had a 5' o clock shadow.
But Dominic Cooper's a busy guy - Agent Carter has a second season coming after all. What's a Stark without the trademark facial hair?

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Joining the choir here:
Apart from having a preacher in it, this does not look like it has anything to do with the comic. Like, at all.

Time will tell, but I'm not exactly holding my breath,

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I am with the rest of the people here. I am barely familiar with the comics, so watching the trailer only shows the Preacher like sort of a badass that has a double life where he fights assholes in his spare time, the kind we have seen countless times in movies and TV. There are no references to any supernatural or religious undertones (he could be a street vendor as much as a preacher). I am holding judgement until it premieres, but that trailer was god awful (no pun intended).

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Starke said:
Shiftygiant said:
I seriously looked at that and thought, "that's supposed to be Cassidy?"
Well they did use an English Actor.

Like seriously are their no Irish actors who look like drug addicts?

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Mister K said:
The problem with adapting preacher is the same as doing it with the boys. it's filled with the same Garth Ennis "you know these things you love, I don't like them some going to show them as killer, child rapist, racist, sociopaths HA!" which can draw enough of an audience with the comic book but a TV show may drive too many people away with that attitude. It could explain why they're not showing the supernatural elements, or have completely removed those elements.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
This looks like sh!t.

I'd really appreciate it if I'm wrong and the show turns out to be great. But it doesn't look like Preacher and it doesn't sound like Preacher and I think it will be a turd.

Prove me wrong, AMC, I f**king dare you.