Predict this years "game of the year"

do_the_manta_ray

Jan 20, 2011
It seems to be a pretty good year for role-playing games. Skyrim, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex, Dark Souls, Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, Guild Wars 2; and I'm sure I'm missing any number of great titles here.
But something tells me that it'll be either Portal 2, or Arkham City that takes the greater amount of awards.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Bobbity said:
Skyrim has the lead here, but games like Mass Effect 3 and The Last Guardian will also probably do pretty well. I'm really not looking forward to the inevitable COD 8, and I kinda hope it'll flop, even if I know that it won't...

/edit
Portal 2! Can't believe I forgot it. That's going to get some serious awards as well.

/edit 2
Oh bugger, I forgot Uncharted 3 too. Probably a bunch of other games I've forgotten, as well :p
My pick would be Portal 2 as well. When everyone that's tried the game (so far, and in alpha/beta builds) says it's the best game Valve's made yet, then how can you NOT be psyched?

However, I don't think it's going to win. That is to say, I foresee the average gamer not only picking something else, but not even knowing what it is. Sad, really. There'll be many publications that will toss a bevy of awards it's way, I'm sure, but I'm also sure one of the higher profile titles will be proclaimed "Game of the year".

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
after playing Dragon Age 2 I'm hesitant to think ME 3 will be as good as I hope it will be.

But since it's biggest competition is from Bioshock Infinite it still might just take the cake.

Speaking of cake it would be remiss of me not to mention Portal 2 But if Valve doesn't take at least 6 years to make a sequel the game is probably going to suck as bad as Left 4 Dead 2 did. (When compared to L4D 1)

L.A. Noire is a game I was looking forward to playing but then I found out it was by Rockstar and their approach to sadnbox games are only slightly less entertaining than prying up my fingernails with an Icepick (GTA Vice City was fun. They should have quit while they were ahead)

Oh yeah and Skyrim... It'll probably be alright. Same with Arkham City. But I haven't got around to playing Asylum yet so.... yeah.

And I don't own a PS3 but The Last Guardian or what ever it's called looks good.

1) Mass Effect 3
2) Bioshock Infinite
3) Portal 2[ [sub]possibly first place but I wouldn't get my hopes up[/sub]
4) Skyrim
5) Arkham City

Oh Dear god they're all sequels. Kill me now

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
I'm split between Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, and Potral 2. Earth Defense Force: Insect Armegeddon gets sleeper hit of the year.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Chuck-Lee-Campbell said:
PureChaos said:
Chuck-Lee-Campbell said:
PureChaos said:
i'm going for Skyward Sword as that's the only game this year i care about
Really? So none of the other games interest you?
not enough for me to buy. i only have a Wii, plus i don't have a lot of time or money to get another console
Damn too bad.
yup. there are quite a few games i'd like to play so when i'm rich and famous i'll be working through the list

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
For PC, it will almost certainly be one of Portal 2, Skyrim, Diablo 3, or Mass Effect 3. All are from series that are critical darlings.

Guild Wars 2 could be added that list if it stood a snowball's chance in hell of coming out this calendar year, which it doesn't.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Game with the most sales: the next Call of Duty. There is no question, this basically a fact.

Game that is going to get the most game of the year awards: This one is going to be a bit trickier since Mass Effect 3 and Dues Ex 3 are both coming out this year. It depends on if these games are going to be either a Toy Story 3 or Spiderman 3. Skysim could take everybody by surprise if Bethesda FINALLY learns from it's mistakes.

Game most people are going to play: What ever the next Zynga game or the next big App will be.

Game that are going to be talked about the most about from this year: Portal 2 or Duke Nukem, no matter if it is crying out that it didn't meet everybodies expectations or if it is the game everybody says it is going to be. Special mention to Minecraft if it get's offically "released" this year.

retterkl

Oct 27, 2008
Well... technically Minecraft hasn't been officially released since it's still in beta, and although it won some GOTY awards last year it might still be a contender if they release it this year :)

But yeah, L.A. Noire should really take things this year. ME3, Skyrim, Portal 2 and Arkham City will really just be more of the same stuff we've already played, and although that's not bad they've got to be really special to compete IMO. Like LOTR:ROTK special.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Single Player: Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Online/Multiplayer: Guild Wars 2 if it releases this year, Star Wars: The Old Republic or Minecraft if it doesn't.

First-person shooter: Toss up between Deus Ex, Duke Nukem Forever, and Bulletstorm.
Reserving judgment for any unannounced shooters.

Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat 4

Other than that, I don't have enough information.

retterkl

Oct 27, 2008
I'm doubtful they'll get a sniff but thought I might as well just mention a few other contenders:

Beyond Good and Evil 2 (if released in 2011) - If it manages to do what the first game did and more it should actually be a good shout

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad - The last Red Orchestra games had a great balance of realism and playability, I prefer them to ARMA and Op. Flashpoint.

InFamous 2 - meh.

Mabye one of the Tribes games could be a surprise hit.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Tough one. I guess the two biggest contenders are TES: Skyrim and Mass Effect 3. I guess I have to wait and see some gameplay to finally decide