Predicting What's New on the Nostalgia Horizon - The PS1 Era

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Predicting What's New on the Nostalgia Horizon - The PS1 Era

Perhaps it would be worth examining gaming history and trying to make predictions based on the twenty year rule.

Read Full Article

Gul

Oct 27, 2015
The first couple Tomb Raiders are what first comes to mind when I think of this subject. Maybe they'd make a return: more of exploration and climbing and block puzzles rather than quick-time events and creepy misogyny.

sketchesofpayne

Sep 11, 2008
One thing we've seen in the last couple years is the return of space shooters, with things like Evocron Mercenary and Sol Exodus, and more recent developments like Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky and Star Citizen. In the late 2000's all we had was the X series to represent the genre. With Interplay putting the Freespace license up for sale I'm sure we'll see something from that.

Vegedus

Mar 8, 2010
Final Fantasy VII came out in 1997. It's remake will be coming out around 2017. You can already tell there's some nostalgic JRPG'ing going on with releases like "I am Setsuna". 20 year rule checks out.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Well, we've got Yooka-Laylee coming soon, and Bloodstained, which are both based on fifth generation console platformers. I think what we'll be seeing a lot of here is people going back to old ideas and essentially making them good, because the PS1, N64, and Sega Saturn were all a bit shit, because they were on the cutting edge of a new era, and things which are on the cutting edge of a new era always age the worst.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
sketchesofpayne said:
One thing we've seen in the last couple years is the return of space shooters, with things like Evocron Mercenary and Sol Exodus, and more recent developments like Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky and Star Citizen. In the late 2000's all we had was the X series to represent the genre. With Interplay putting the Freespace license up for sale I'm sure we'll see something from that.
Well space exploration sims really hit the big time in the early-mid 1990s with games like the Wing Commander franchise, the Descent franchise, Frontier: Elite II, and it's sequel Frontier: First Encounters(Elite III), and games like X-Wing vurses Tie Fighter... So I think we're going to see space sims make a bigger comeback as time goes on.

By the way [user]Yahtzee Croshaw[/user], you were wrong in your Drown Out of Elite: Dangerous, it's not a remake of the original Elite and Elite Plus. Elite: Dangerous is a direct sequel to Frontier: First Encounters, which is the direct sequel Frontier: Elite II, which is the direct sequel to Elite/Elite Plus. That's both in terms of game canon, along with in universe time-line. If you're still playing Elite: Dangerous, sometime in the not too distant future you can expect the return of Thargoids, the hostile space-faring alien bugs.

Edit: A good piece of lore that shows the progress is actually in the Cobra MkIII's description. It was the only playable ship in the original Elite/Elite plus. In Elite: Dangerous it's stated as having been developed by Lave Cowell & MgRath shipyard around the year 3100. The design and the shipyard have since been bought by Faulcon DeLacy, which is the Elite: Dangerous maker of most multi-purpose ships. Ships like the Python and the huge Anaconda. Faulcon DeLacy also bought up Zargon Peterson at some point. While the brand name remains, ships like the Adder and the Fer-de-Lance are technically Faulcon DeLacy ships, despite wearing the Zargon Peterson brand name.
Back on topic: With the release of the new Master of Orion, along with the resurrection of X-COM, it looks like earl-mid 1990s strategy games are coming back. There's another game like the Master of Orion, that came out earlier too, which also took it's inspiration from Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares.

Also Mech simulator games seem to be making a come back, again these were a mid nineties staple. With MechWarrior Online a few years into it's life already and Heavy Gear Assault being out now. I'm waiting to see if Armored Core and Metaltech/Earthsiege/Starseige make a comeback too.

Finally, we can hope for either a new entry in the Starsiege: Tribes franchise, or at least a spiritual successor. No online multiplayer game ever felt as fun as Tribes, because that's a game that gives every player a jet pack by default. It also popularized the concept of automated turrets, but in Tribes the player actually has a method to control them. Still Tribes was a great franchise, full of hectic twitch gameplay, being unique for the fact that death could literally come from any direction, at any moment. Tribes is also the franchise that introduced the concept of being able to kill other players, by ramming them, or running them over with a vehicle.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
The Sonic series has been stuck 20 years in the past since the release of 4 and is kicking off with Mania early next year. Also, the fighting genre seems to be having a resurgence with Skullgirls, Mortal Kombat X, SFV, KoFXIV, and Injustice 2.

Also, if the 20 year rule is correct, what about games like NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, and a number of other notable Saturn games, or even those "godawful" FMV games (Though, I've heard that they're often given much more shit than they deserve).

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The first two Tomb Raiders and the accompanying Voodoo/Voodoo2 masturbating that came along with them ;)

Anyway, I just recently started Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. I think that's 1997 or 8. Never played them back then, but my mate (who now has two kids and is 33) sure did! So the "Eternity Engine" RPGs as well.

Unreal (Tournament).

MechWarrior 4: I recently reinstalled it, but have been playing MechWarrior Online instead...

And of course your column, also back after a long hiatus :p

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
If this means they'll finally make another game like Tie Fighter, then bring on the nostalgic rehashes!

Transdude1996 said:
The Sonic series has been stuck 20 years in the past since the release of 4 and is kicking off with Mania early next year. Also, the fighting genre seems to be having a resurgence with Skullgirls, Mortal Kombat X, SFV, KoFXIV, and Injustice 2.

Also, if the 20 year rule is correct, what about games like NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, and a number of other notable Saturn games, or even those "godawful" FMV games (Though, I've heard that they're often given much more shit than they deserve).
Oddly enough, technology has advanced far enough that FMV games would actually look good if they put the money into one these days.

nitrium oxide

Jun 10, 2011
Brian Fargo is doing quite well for himself by throwing the 20 year rule to wind. Wasteland 2 (sequel to 1988 game) and Bard Tale IV (the last one was also 1988). Perhaps it's more the "20 to 30 year" rule, which really makes it a bit of a non-rule. But cashing in nostalgia is definitely a thing at the moment, the success of Stranger Things immediately springs to mind as well as the endless Hollywood reboots (Conan the Barbarian, Total Recall, Robocop etc).

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
JRPGs with insane grind.

I mean, COME ON!
Who doesn't want to pay for the 20USD DLC that gives you 10xEXP?

snave

Nov 10, 2009
We're rapidly coming up on 20 years since Deus Ex and System Shock 2, and publisher-bollocks aside, the rebooting of the former seems to be well-received. I'm imagining an indie revival of long, intricate RPG shooters. Not shooters with upgrade paths or Diablo-style RPG mechanics, but actual RPG mechanics.

Or alternately, we should be in the midst of an N64 era split screen multiplayer revival.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Will Smith riding a giant steampunk mechanical spider while shooting aliens and rapping the theme song using old music samples would definitely win me over I think. And nothing less. But that isn't entirely based on nostalgia more than it is a very appealing concept.:)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
There'd definitely be a market for it, but I don't picture early-3D-style games taking off in the same way that pixel platformers did in the indie scene... simply because I think one of the biggest factors in that boom was that there was a real significant void to fill, and there isn't quite as big of one in this case, since the mainstream gaming industry is still making low-poly 3D on the handhelds (where you don't have a 40-inch monitor to see everything on and so the marketing department doesn't start wailing if your graphics look anything less than Uncanny-Valley "photorealistic").

Again, though, there will be a market for it, and I'm predicting that one of the big new genres will be repeating what took off last time: remaking the seminal Mario game of the era being paid tribute to (in this case, Super Mario 64 instead of Super Mario Bros.), but with an arty visual style and one new gameplay gimmick.

I wonder if someone with Unity will make a 3D puzzle platformer in which all the SM64 glitches that pannenkoek2012 exploits will actually be incorporated as core gameplay mechanics. Like, specially designated hyper-speed-walking slopes and enemy glitch exploitation, and actually designing puzzles around that.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
Transdude1996 said:
Thanatos2k said:
There's already a couple of new FMV games on steam, and they're pretty good according to the reviews.
Her Story and Contradiction: Spot the Liar were released last year, while The Bunker was just released a few days ago.

Edit: Also, Tesla Effect: a Tex Murphy Adventure two years ago.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
In some ways, it makes sense. I can see people getting into gameplay design styles for the PS1 era; but I don't see people getting into nostalgia visuals as they did with pixel art, mostly because early 3D graphics (PS1 era) were god awful, more interested in looking advanced and cutting edge while working around the technical limitations than being visually appealing...

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Also Mech simulator games seem to be making a come back, again these were a mid nineties staple. With MechWarrior Online a few years into it's life already and Heavy Gear Assault being out now. I'm waiting to see if Armored Core and Metaltech/Earthsiege/Starseige make a comeback too.
This please.

Bringing back both old school shooters like Doom (and maybe Half Life?) and mech games would scratch my nostalgia itch and leave me a happy gamer for a few years.

Games where you use a joystick and it has a slider for speed and you have to use at least 20 buttons on the keyboard to operate all the functions and I can set up my gaming space like a cockpit again. I just wish I could afford (and have space for) some modern day VR stuff as well, get a complete mech pilot experience.

Ah, all the possibilities of old style games with modern day tech!

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Bobular said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
This please.

Bringing back both old school shooters like Doom (and maybe Half Life?) and mech games would scratch my nostalgia itch and leave me a happy gamer for a few years.

Games where you use a joystick and it has a slider for speed and you have to use at least 20 buttons on the keyboard to operate all the functions and I can set up my gaming space like a cockpit again. I just wish I could afford (and have space for) some modern day VR stuff as well, get a complete mech pilot experience.

Ah, all the possibilities of old style games with modern day tech!
That's kind of funny considering I have a Saitek X52 HOTAS with the optional rudder pedals. I never had to use any keyboard keys, because everything actually useful was bound to the HOTAS and rudder pedal set. Which made me a nightmare in MechWarrior 3 and 4 when they were still widely played. Also with rudder pedals... There is nothing quite as satisfying as stomping both pedals to use jump jets, which is how it works in the Battletech universe.