Predicting What's New on the Nostalgia Horizon - The PS1 Era

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
09philj said:
Well, we've got Yooka-Laylee coming soon, and Bloodstained, which are both based on fifth generation console platformers. I think what we'll be seeing a lot of here is people going back to old ideas and essentially making them good, because the PS1, N64, and Sega Saturn were all a bit shit, because they were on the cutting edge of a new era, and things which are on the cutting edge of a new era always age the worst.
Bah, ninja'd.

But yeah, Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained were the first things that came to mind.

And I agree. There was a lot from the PS1/N64 that could benefit from today's tech and methods. I mean, look what the Shivel Knight guys did: they made one of the best 8-bit games ever made...in 2014.

HumanShale

Sep 23, 2016
When I was in that era all I wanted was a decent cricket game with online multiplayer so I could face people and teams from all over the world with my friends on my team.

Now I've traumatized by a few years of the reality of competitive online multiplayer I?m not sure if I could stand an entire game of cricket with some arsehole telling me what a noob I am, although sledging is very much a part of cricket so I guess it really would be realistic.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Tanis said:
JRPGs with insane grind.

I mean, COME ON!
Who doesn't want to pay for the 20USD DLC that gives you 10xEXP?
they actually packaged this free with the FF7 rerelease, but with the usual stipulation of turning off achievements, and the catch of having to access their website that enabled the features after linking to their DRM.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
It's possible Resistance 3 got the ball rolling for FPS's that harken back to when the player could carry more than 2 weapons at once, shoot a varied host of different-looking enemies, need medkits to heal, and take more damage than the two pump chumps of today. The revivals/reboots/resomethings of Wolfenstein and DOOM are emblematic of that.
Xsjadoblayde said:
Will Smith riding a giant steampunk mechanical spider while shooting aliens and rapping the theme song using old music samples would definitely win me over I think. And nothing less. But that isn't entirely based on nostalgia more than it is a very appealing concept.:)
Based on the BO returns of Suicide Squad, Summer Action Blockbuster Will Smith is back in full force. 20+ years ago, he was always a sure thing, while More Serious Award Baiting Will Smith of later years was less so.
Transdude1996 said:
The Sonic series has been stuck 20 years in the past since the release of 4 and is kicking off with Mania early next year. Also, the fighting genre seems to be having a resurgence with Skullgirls, Mortal Kombat X, SFV, KoFXIV, and Injustice 2.
I thought fighters never really went away, just lost prominence to sandbox and Modern FPS games.
snave said:
We're rapidly coming up on 20 years since Deus Ex and System Shock 2, and publisher-bollocks aside, the rebooting of the former seems to be well-received. I'm imagining an indie revival of long, intricate RPG shooters. Not shooters with upgrade paths or Diablo-style RPG mechanics, but actual RPG mechanics.

Or alternately, we should be in the midst of an N64 era split screen multiplayer revival.
Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are prequels to Deus Ex, but yeah, that counts as nostalgia for Shooter RPG's with hacking mechanics.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I recently acquired a little system on a chip computer that runs Android and I've been enjoying playing Android ports of all sorts of games that came out anywhere between twenty and only ten years ago. I think there's a huge market there for the nostalgia crowd.

It's pretty incredible to play GTA San Andreas in 720p at full graphics on a computer that's credit card sized...

Gluff

Jun 15, 2016
I think that era already happened for a while now. Hell it might be ending in five years. I think this because the early 2000s is beginning to enter that era.

Or I could be wrong. The last few movies from the past decade were reboots or adaptations of 80s culture (Transformers, Robocop, etc.). Now there's more movies that center around 90s movies like Jurassic World or Independence Day. I think this nostalgia already happened for a while, it's just that companies are now understanding this.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
If what this article says is true, Sandbox games will get old just in time for their 20 year revival to bring them right back again!

As for me.. I can dream...

I can dream... (starts sobbing quietly)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Gotta say, of all the consoles I've played the Playstation 1 is my least favorite one ever. Why? Simple. The graphics problems mentioned here, plus the general feeling of joylessness I got from a lot of the games. Often, it felt like it took away the childish joy that video games used to have, but didn't replace them with anything but bleakness.

But the technical limitations were the biggest problem for me. I get that the first generation of 3D isn't gonna look great, but I can't name a single PS1 game that gave me a feeling that the developers actually managed to realize their vision. Every time, it felt as if they wanted to tell me "We didn't want it to look this way, but the technical limitations were crippling."