Prepare to Die with Dark Souls Console DLC

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Prepare to Die with Dark Souls Console DLC

The PC extras of Dark Souls will run you about $15 on consoles.

There's nothing PC gamers like more than a good challenge, which is why so many of them were pleased when Namco Bandai announced platform of choice [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Playstation-3/dp/B004NRN5EO]. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die will bring its signature toughness, minimalist story, and haunting aesthetic to PCs along with Artorias of the Abyss a mini-expansion that will add new areas, weapons, and bosses to Dark Souls's already staggering mix. There was some concern that while PC gamers got a bevy of new content, console gamers would be left out in the cold. Thankfully, Namco Bandai has allayed those fears. PS3 and 360 owners can die contented (not to mention repeatedly), since Artorias will make its way to consoles as a DLC package.

Unfortunately, console gamers will have to wait a few months before getting ravaged by the new Dark Souls content. While Prepare to Die will hit PCs on August 24, the console DLC will not be available until this winter; whether that means late 2012 or early 2013 is, as yet, unclear. Furthermore, while PC gamers will have the content included in the full retail price of the game, those on the PS3 and 360 will have to shell out 1200 Microsoft points or $14.99 USD. For those of you who paid $60 at launch, this will add up to an expensive experience. Thanks to a price drop, though, newcomers will likely end up paying a similar amount for the console title plus DLC or the PC port.

Most people who played Dark Souls can attest that it is a brutal but rewarding experience. Is the additional punishment worth the promise of even greater reward for $15? Knowing the Dark Souls fanbase, the answer is probably "yes," but expect to hear it through a lot of gritted teeth and groans of frustration.

Source: IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1224905p1.html]

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Can't wait for this to come out on PC, even if I already have it for Xbox.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Marshall Honorof said:
Most people who played Dark Souls can attest that it is a brutal but rewarding experience. Is the additional punishment worth the promise of even greater reward for $15? Knowing the Dark Souls fanbase, the answer is probably "yes," but expect to hear it through a lot of gritted teeth and groans of frustration.
Not really. Dark Souls isn't all that frustrating if you have a bit of patience and a decent memory.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm gonna have to get this, it sounds like the steam version wont use gfwl also which is awesome.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
I was expecting the DLC to be available much sooner than winter. This is disappointing.
But I can't wait to explore what they added. I hope there's lots of ground for players to litter their corpses with.

Sep 14, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Not really. Dark Souls isn't all that frustrating if you have a bit of patience and a decent memory.
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/fuck-that-*****-yao-pff.png

we are talking about humans...those are two characteristics highly uncommon among us ;)

OT: can't wait! this game sounds more and more awesome everytime i hear about it, definitely will be shellin out 60 bucks!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I do love this game...even if I've probably put one or two cracks in my controller due to holding it white knuckled so many times.

Sep 14, 2009
Kalezian said:
gmaverick019 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Marshall Honorof said:
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/fuck-that-*****-yao-pff.png

we are talking about humans...those are two characteristics highly uncommon among us ;)

OT: can't wait! this game sounds more and more awesome everytime i hear about it, definitely will be shellin out 60 bucks!
he actually has a point.

There is no real point in even leveling up, if you do it is to put points for a bigger health bar.

with enough patience, and decent equipment, you can block, side-step, wail on a vast majority of enemies, including some bosses if you are quick enough at dodging.
trolling aside there..doesn't that make it a well designed game then? it's scary as hell as a low level, but with the right skill and patience, you can overcome just about damn near anything? while say, if you are having extreme trouble or just need some better loot, you can go defeat some other baddies to level up or get different loot then come back.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
When I sold my PS3 the only regret that I had was that I didn't want to part with 'Dark Souls', I'm more than thankful that this is getting a PC release, especially considering I didn't even get past the 15-hour mark. The extra content is an added bonus and I can do nothing but commend Namco Bandai on their efforts with this.

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Oh, trust me, I'm pretty sure I can still manage to mess it up somehow. I finished Demon's Souls last Saturday, started Dark Souls that afternoon, and promptly died and lost all my souls after the first boss when I got knocked off of a narrow ledge by rats. Twice. That is likely going to be the first of many such losses.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
Meh too late and costs way too much, if they had made this and released it a lot sooner then I might have cared, but Dark souls is long behind me now and I really don't fell like going back to it.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I'm excited. I'll be getting the PC version (despite already owning the 360 version), but it's sweet to know that the consoles will be getting it too.

This is one game where $60 is well worth it, for me, and I have no issues with throwing more money FROM's way.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Ah, I've been eyeing this for X360, but it's reassuring to see it'll be coming to a real platform.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
So how exactly might I go about obtaining this DLC? Would I have to buy it over the PSN? Call me paranoid, but I don't think I feel like giving my credit card number to Sony.