Prequel Novella Sets Up BioShock Infinite

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Prequel Novella Sets Up BioShock Infinite

An upcoming e-book will delve deeper into the mysteries of Columbia.

Videogame novels are a little like videogame movies in that they generally run the gamut from "execrable" to "almost tolerable." Sure, every now and then you get you don't [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Fall-Reach-Eric-Nylund/dp/0765367297]. Still, novel tie-ins are a proven marketing technique, as well as a way for speculative fiction writers to play in some of their favorite licensed worlds. BioShock Infinite: Mind in Revolt is an e-book novella intended to set up the events of BioShock Infinite, and will debut about a month before the game.

Joe Fielder, one of the game's writers, fielded this project along with director Ken Levine. The novella came about as a response to fan curiosity. "Since we first announced BioShock Infinite, our fans have asked for more information about Columbia and the complex cast of characters that inhabit the floating city," says Fielder. "Players will have a better understanding of BioShock Infinite's world, the struggle between its factions, and the motivations of key characters." Although Fielder intends to drop a number of tantalizing hints in the book, he promises that it won't spoil any of the mysteries present in the finished game. At about 30 pages long, it's probably better to expect a teaser rather than a fully realized story.

At present, the book is only some other novels in the same genre [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Infinite-Mind-Revolt-ebook/dp/B00B2SO7NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358869758&sr=8-1&keywords=BioShock+Infinite+mind+in+revolt].

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It may be a good idea to edit the last paragraph to clarify that the Bioshock book was a prequel to the game, but was not published until after it's release. When I first read it I assumed you meant that the books content came after the game, not the date it was released.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I enjoyed many of the StarCraft novels and I've heard most of the WarHammer 40k novels are absolutely brilliant but haven't read them so can't attest to that personally.
If I had an e-reader I'd probably be willing to give it a try if it's a full length novel. $2.99 doesn't seem too bad for a non physical copy.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Article aside, I really like what they've done with the poster; inverted Uncle Sam message, both visually and textually... Brilliant! Also, props for use of the phrase "vox populi".

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Farther than stars said:
Legion said:
It may be a good idea to edit the last paragraph to clarify that the Bioshock book was a prequel to the game, but was not published until after it's release. When I first read it I assumed you meant that the books content came after the game, not the date it was released.
Well, to be fair, the title of the article does clearly say "prequel".
Not the book I was talking about. I specifically said the last paragraph where they were referring to the Bioshock: Rapture book, the one based around the first game.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Legion said:
Farther than stars said:
Legion said:
Well, to be fair, the title of the article does clearly say "prequel".
Not the book I was talking about. I specifically said the last paragraph where they were referring to the Bioshock: Rapture book, the one based around the first game.
Oh, yeah, it looks like I misread what you wrote. Sorry for the mix-up.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Well I'm definitely interested in more info about Columbia even if it is a small amount.