President Obama Asks for Research Into Game Violence

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
JonB said:
"I will direct the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to go ahead and study the best ways to reduce [gun violence]."
So gun violence is a disease now?

Because nothing solves gun violence like more gun violence!

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Sure have been a lot of stuff about guns lately. I hope this whole thing blows over soon.
Blindrooster said:
Holy shit a (loose) Republican on here! Finally, maybe there will be a little less overall bias on these forums.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Good leadership skills were revoked as a prerequisite for presidency a long time ago. Now you just have to act like a leader while your party pulls your strings. This isn't just Obama. This has been a problem since before I was born.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
scorptatious said:
Sure have been a lot of stuff about guns lately. I hope this whole thing blows over soon.
Blindrooster said:
Holy shit a (loose) Republican on here! Finally, maybe there will be a little less overall bias on these forums.
I'm a moderate who leans more towards the Libertarian party than anyone else (though I am definitely not in 100% alignment with them).

There is more variety around here than you would think! ;P

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Cade Aponte said:
Science has repeatedly shown that video games do not contribute in any non-trivial way to real violence. This shouldn't worry any gamer.
...or even if it does turn out that video games can or do contribute to real violence (even just in some subset of the population), we're all better off understanding how and why that is the case.

I have to give the government some credit on actually appearing to go about this sensibly by pushing for research rather than blind censorship or ignoring the possibility that entertainment media could negatively influence behavior.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Fappy said:
scorptatious said:
Blindrooster said:
I'm a moderate who leans more towards the Libertarian party than anyone else (though I am definitely not in 100% alignment with them).

I'd imagine there would be, but I haven't seen very many people that are as vocal about it.

I personally consider myself mostly a Libertarian. Although I was raised in a mostly conservative family, so I can never truly bring myself to hate on those who happen to be Republican.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
Fappy said:
scorptatious said:
Blindrooster said:

See you've got it right! People are too 100% agree with everything their party does and defend it to the death, and, honestly, they all make mistakes. It's not all black and white.
Captcha "Skid Row" Youth gone wild ya'll.......

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Well, it's good to know that they're not treating games as the only thing on the agenda.

The thing is, it won't really do anything. Like the birthers movement, the "Video games make people into killers" crowd doesn't care how many times we hand over proof, they won't be satisfied until there's one that agrees with their warped perception. There could be a hundred, a thousand studies that say no, but as soon as one says yes, in their minds it'll be vindication.

I look forward to see what kind of methodology this study uses though. Perhaps let someone play Call of Duty for an hour then give them a chocolate bunny and base the data on whether they bite the head first.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Funny how you can't criticize gun companies, auto makers, oil companies, etc. in American politics because ermagerd jerbs, but video game studios are fair game (unintentional pun).

OT: One needs only look at crime statistics to see an upsurge in violent video game sales hasn't materialized into a massive crimewave in America or any other country. Studies are fine but to review the same thing over and over until you get the result you expect is bad science and a waste of money.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Fair enough - maybe this will be a little more even-handed than studies commission by politicians that already had anti-game industry legislation all set up. Obama has no incentive to want incriminating results and the Center for Disease Control consequently has no incentive to skew the results either way.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
You know what? I'm kinda glad this is happening, because we all know that games do not cause violence, and this can be an official report to tell the ignorant why they are wrong.

[email protected]

Jun 18, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Fappy said:
I have absolutely no problem with people doing legitimate research regarding video games and it's affect on mental health, but I don't feel it should be funded by federal taxes and I am disappointed that it's existence is basically being fueled by blind fear.
If you want research done without bias or preconception, tax-funded research is the way to go. If you want proof- every single government funded study on drugs done here in the UK has resulted in the scientists involved arguing that some, if not most, drugs need to be legalised. The government subsequently chose to ignore them, but that's neither here nor there. Tax funded research has accountability.

You know who funds most private research? Companies with an axe to grind, or an agenda to promote. Climate change research done by oil companies. The effects of medication research done by pharmaceutical companies. The research done thus far on vidoegames has largely been done by private companies, and therefore it has mostly been highly suspect as a result. If a group with a name like Mums For A More Moral America (or similar vapid title) come out with a study on games and violence, the bias is already there for all to see. A tax-funded study at least has the chance for accountability, for even-handedness, and therefore for actual conclusive results.

And it's not as if research is all that expensive. America is currently still fighting two land-wars in the Middle East, and trading with most of the known world. You can afford one scientific study.
This is my contention as well.

*drops 2 cents into a jar*
President Obama has a laundry list of Exc. Orders he wants to initiate, but he also wants credible and "neutral" evidence he can point to for backup. Almost every study regard video games and violence has had some sort of bias accusation throw at it and it's findings deems "inconclusive" or refutable in some way, but if anyone has accused the CDC of biased research, I don't know of it (if I'm wrong, evidential correction would be appreciated).

That's all I got. :p

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I think it would be honest to do the same research with movies/tv shows, paintings, comic and books... Though video game has something that no other form of entertainment has, interactive immersion, that alone means games do deserve a serious research to end the debate once and for all.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
"We don't benefit from ignorance. We don't benefit from not knowing the science on this epidemic of violence."
Legitimate question: What epidemic of violence?
I thought youth violence is some of the lowest it's been in the last seventy years.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Mr. President I'd like to direct your attention to Jim Sterling's Jimquisition video on the subject.
Also video games have a fucking rating system in North America and in other regions so young minds shouldn't even be exposed to excessively violent video games unless they have irresponsible goddamn parents, so why is this still a bloody issue???

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Does this really have to happen every time someone under the age of 20 goes on a rampage? Never seems to be looked into when someone older goes off the deep end.

Even if violent video games increase non-trivial violent tendencies in children, Mature games are already being policed. I work for a retail store that sells video games and we're required to check IDs and obtain parental permission when little Timmy brings Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty up to the counter, as well as give parents of young children a heads-up on the content, generally by just reading why the game's rated M, which the parent/guardian could easily do on their own. That said, how many people under the age of 10 do you think I've seen walk out of the store with some of the most hardcore Mature-rated games of all time? And do note that this is a policy held by every major retailer I've worked for - if you never encountered it, they were supposed to do it and just couldn't be bothered. The point is that parents obviously don't care, so why should the government?