President Obama Links Videogames to Unhealthy Kids

Bendebec

Jun 18, 2009
It seems impossible to go a week without someone saying videogames are bad. My ears have recently become deaf to these kinds of storys.

ThePhobicMan

Jun 19, 2009
I agree w/ Obama. Playing video games, watching tv, etc. is fun, but after a while it might help to go outside if just for a few minutes. I always get headaches from electronics after a couple of hours, so I just sit down and read a book, or go outside.

Amaurus

Mar 30, 2009
I play video games more than anyone I know and I'm not fat or anywhere near "fatness".
Its most likely because most video game players eat lots of fast food. Blame fast food, not the games.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Knonsense said:
What he says is probably true.

More importantly, however, why is this any of the president's business?
I know the information in this link is in a fairly pale shade of brown and a rather small typeface but it points out why this issue has been put on the President's desk.

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0749379705001364

Chronic diseases such as heart disease and stroke are on the rise and have become rather epidemic. Because medical groups like the Heart and Lung association are trying to draw attention to the scope of the problem, it has been brought up as a national issue and one the President is expected to address. Luck of the draw for him.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Well i'm not going to deny it - it is unhealthy to spend 16h/7d playing videogames.
Everything is bad for you in large enough doses.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
At least he isn't one of those people who live in protective little bubbles and blame videogames for all societies problems. He doesn't seem to be targeting videogames, but he could have gotten the same effect by saying "TV" or "screens".

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I don't think Obama is radically anti-video games, I think it's more a question of moderation. He's not talking about chucking our 360s and PS3s in the river, he's saying we should be active outside as well as online. And I happen to agree. I do much more than sit around the house and play on the PC or the xbox, and I hope you folks do too. Obesity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes are plaguing this nation. I work as a professional athlete, and many of my students come to me wildly out of shape. It doesn't take much. Get off your couch for an hour a day and do something physical that you enjoy. Then maybe you can live past 50.

aww yea

May 3, 2009
gotta look at it this way

all the exercise we'd be getting from being outside would probably counter all the shit in our system from that homicidal McDonald.

also this being just part of the problem, which he acknowledged anyway, doesnt suddenly make it not a problem at all...

so go do stuff!

ill sit here and finish your game for you

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Fondant said:
Let's get the list out.

*Removes impossibly long, dusty-looking and ancient list*

Now, things bad for the health. Starting at 'A'... Arrmaggedon, Asbestos, Attilla The Hun, Bees, Blades, Blunt Instruments....

*Continues on for the next four years, until*

Ah, Videogames! Here we are: "Videogames are, like Television, Reading, Wargaming, Websurfing and drinking coffee, bad for one's health if one indulges in them in Extremis and neglects the other facets of a healthy life; like Movement."
The mental image I am getting from this just about made me laugh myself out of my chair. You sir, have just made my day!

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
wpheloung12 said:
As a republican, a gamer, and someone who hates people who think gaming is bad for you, I really, really, really want to attack Obama for this. But my amygdala is stopping me.
You and me both. I could go on for HOURS... But I won't. However, I can say this:

The President has a talent for pointing out the obvious. Someone give the guy a medal. He's discovered a link between inactivity and obesity! Stop the presses! I'm calling the New Yorker!

On another note, I have actually found that games motivate me to go outside a little more. While fun, video games make me miss the simple pleasures of hiking, fishing, biking, golf, shooting clay pigeons, etc. I make up for those sunny days I spend inside... Believe me!

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
I thought he was actually going to give me a reason to dislike him, but I actually quite agree. People should have a little bit of exercise each day.

TheProfessor134

Jun 20, 2009
Ha right, and whose the one buying the systems and the games for their kids? The parents.

If people are really that concerned and your kid really wants to play video games, buy them DDR.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
it's funny, not many of us are telling him he's wrong, but also point out other causes.

rubyblue

Dec 29, 2008
What I think we're missing is that he's not saying that video games are the Great Satan, he's saying that responsible parents should make sure that their kids don't spend all of their time gaming. I know it seems obvious, but anybody who spends any amount of time on Xbox Live can tell that it's a memo that some parents aren't getting.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Kuliani said:
One thing to note from his speech, he recognizes that kids are playing videogames. What did kids do before videogames? Play outside? No, they watched TV. If you simply take away videogames, the children will just watch TV.

The only thing that can get the kids outside is the parents. Madden football is fun, why don't you go and buy your kid a real football and see if they can reenact some of that in-game awesomeness? Hell, make it so that in order to play their games, they have to race you around the outside of your house/block first?
You sir, are AWESOME. And I am dissapointed in Obama. You would think he would get that logic. Oh well. I guess it isn't surprising since he supports gun bans.