President Obama Links Videogames to Unhealthy Kids

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
megapenguinx said:
Meh, just sounds like what any doctor would say. Go outside everyone once in a while. He isn't attacking videos games by saying get rid of them, just cut back a little.
Moderation is key.

And now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

(fine, I admit, that was just an excuse to use the G.I.Joe quote...)

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Kuliani said:
One thing to note from his speech, he recognizes that kids are playing videogames. What did kids do before videogames? Play outside? No, they watched TV. If you simply take away videogames, the children will just watch TV.

The only thing that can get the kids outside is the parents. Madden football is fun, why don't you go and buy your kid a real football and see if they can reenact some of that in-game awesomeness? Hell, make it so that in order to play their games, they have to race you around the outside of your house/block first?
Yes but, what did they do before all technology then? Played outside, at least more than before TV. Please note I am not a technophobe

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Kids SHOULDN'T be playing video games all the time. When you're a kid, that's when you develop the habits that will determine how you live your life as an adult. If all you do as a kid is play video games, then you're bound to be a lethargic adult (unless your passion for video games turns into a career.. in most cases it doesn't). I played games extensively as a kid, and I wish my parents had booted me outside from time to time, and I'm certainly going to be booting my kids outside when I have kids.

I don't see his concerns as particularly bad.. he's right.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Jumplion said:
megapenguinx said:
Meh, just sounds like what any doctor would say. Go outside everyone once in a while. He isn't attacking videos games by saying get rid of them, just cut back a little.
Moderation is key.

And now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

(fine, I admit, that was just an excuse to use the G.I.Joe quote...)
G.I JOOOOOOOOOEEEEEE!!!!
Moderation is key in life because excess of anything can kill you.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hooray! Our President gets it!

This is one facet of Obama that I can enjoy without reservations. Don't blame the games, just tell the parents to do their job.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Yes, sitting still is unhealthy. What's his point? People are going to do what they will, getting unhealthy is the consequence. He's not really saying anything new.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
JRCB said:
link670 said:
While he makes a fair point, telivision in general holds just about as much blame, stop singling out the gamers *goes back behind anti-politician bunker*
I agree.

Now move over. There's plenty of space in here for everyone.
Not for long, since we're all so fat from playing videogames all the time.

I don't really think Obama's trying to get children to stop playing videogames, it's just that he is acknowledging the fact that kids are not as active as they should be. I could have said "the internet/computer," but videogames strikes a chord with more people than those. He could have probably said that kids need to spend LESS time playing videogames, but then it sounds like you are unsure of what to do when you try to do everything.

The person who plays videogames for six hours a day and goes to the gym everyday was well is going to be healthier than the person who plays four hours a day but doesn't go to the gym. The problem is that people are playing for six hours a day without going to the gym.

Taniquel

Dec 9, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
Kuliani said:
One thing to note from his speech, he recognizes that kids are playing videogames. What did kids do before videogames? Play outside? No, they watched TV. If you simply take away videogames, the children will just watch TV.

The only thing that can get the kids outside is the parents. Madden football is fun, why don't you go and buy your kid a real football and see if they can reenact some of that in-game awesomeness? Hell, make it so that in order to play their games, they have to race you around the outside of your house/block first?
Yes but, what did they do before all technology then? Played outside, at least more than before TV. Please note I am not a technophobe
Exactally. The current generation of gaming kids are hardly playing outside at all. When they are not playing games it is TV. I remember when I was a kid I watched Sat morning cartoons and then went outside to play. I went outside because there was nothing else on TV that I wanted to watch. There was no Satellite TV with 24 hour cartoon channels!

I think that the main issue with kids playing too many games is that the parents are not interactive enough with them. If the kid won't go outside on his/her own, take away the game to limit the amout of time spent with it. Simple. Kids do not come with instinctual self control so parents are supposed to provide it, right?

SageOfCalm

Mar 14, 2009
Good job doing what Msnbc and Foxnews do Escapist. Making spurious titles to your article so that I'm intrigued enough to click it. Good job. At least you admit at the end of the article.

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
Obvious statement is obvious, but at least he's not making outlandish remarks that video games cause sweet, innocent children to become murderous criminals, because, after all, it is a proven fact that playing Gears of War for hours on end automatically makes you a murderous macho-man overnight.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Yes, because we all know that over-eating fat kids who watch Tv all day are fat because of video games... It's amazing how President Obama has the opposite beliefs than me on every issue he's brought up that I can remember.

1: Playing video games doesn't make you fat. It just doesn't keep you in shape.
2: Over-eating makes you fat, yet even though America is in a depression, we are still buying and consuming too much food.
3: Playing video games doesn't mean you don't get excercise. Blaming video games for being fat is like blaming the cat for taking the last donut. It didn't take the donut, and it's not going to buy any more donuts. Video games are not good or bad for your weight.
4: Food is already becoming more and more healthy in the weight department. Half of our food is either low fat, reduced fat, or no fat. Because of this, ever since I started working out just an hour or less a day, I lost 30 friggin pounds. None of my jeans fit anymore. Now, I've actually had to cut back on excercise, and I force myself to eat more than I want, and that's only to stay at my current weight. And I play about 5-8 hours of video games on a daily basis.
5: Some video games can even teach people the advantages of being skinny. In Fable 2, the fatter you get, the lower your attractiveness is. In fact, most main characters in video games are fit, so if we are playing the lives of fit people, why would we getting fatter? We play video games to play a hypothetical situation that would be ideal for enjoyment, and in these situations, we are fit. If anything, video games could help get and keep people fit if we were to use them right.

This is just propaganda against video games. Why don't people stop blaming other things for their own weight problem. I say, if a man has an Xbox360 controller in his hands, he has no free hands to eat that 3rd piece of cake today.

Doth

Apr 2, 2009
I like how everyone blindly agrees with whatever Hussein says.
If Gordon Brown said something along these lines you people would raise a huge shitstorm.

On the subject, no. Gaming, TV, or any other "indoor" activity doesn't spontaneously make you fat. A shitty diet does.
Eat healthy food if you don't want to be a fat fuck, don't eat too much of it either. It really is that hard.

Pathetic.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Yeah. Notice he didn't mention McDonalds or Burger King or any corporate sponsors. Fast food gets you fatter than games.

Short point, video games are only bad for your health when in excess! Like many have said before me. Anything in excess is bad.