Preview: DC Universe Online

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I got into the beta after my brother told me to sign up, and even then I wasn't really all that jazzed about it, but he kept suggesting I give it a try, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the look and feel of it. I don't want it to feel like every other MMO, since I already play WoW. I want something as un-WoWlike as possible, otherwise I don't have much of a reason to play. The superhero genre isn't one I've ever found especially compelling, except when it's overlapping with genres I do like (epic fantasy or space opera) but I do like good games. Here's hoping they can make it work.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Kiraxa said:
Name ONE DC hero that does nothing but spam powers. Every DC hero goes brawl-mode constantly.
Raven.

Actually theres quite a few who use nothin but powers. I dont think I've ever seen Fate do anythin remotely brawl like. Most of the magicians only go "brawl-mode" if their opponents gets all up in their business and even then its mostly just to whap them away so they can go back to usin spells.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I only ever play online on my 360, so when I get this (on PS3), I'll be looking for people to here to kick ass with....

WHY IS THERE NOT A USER GROUP FOR THIS GAME?!

Zolrak 22

Sep 9, 2009
jaketheripper said:
Wahful said:
Do you have to keep paying month after month for the PS3 Version?
no its just a beta, but you have to have playstation plus
Will you need playstation plus after the official release?
Or can those that just pay for the game play fine without it?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Having played the beta, I am very disappointed in the character creation system and power sets. Both feel very limited, and the costume pieces can be unlocked in-game, creating that katamari ball of Warcraft armor. And then you have to sift through menus to turn on which costume piece you want shown. Hurrah for tedium >_>

But hay; it plays well on the PS3, and the controls feel right. My one complaint is, and this just may be my experience, but it's annoying that I can't lower myself in flight. I can shoot straight up, but to go down I have to turn off the flying altogether.

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
If someone wants to start a user group I wouldn't mind joining it.

I felt a little miffed that they left out Lantern's power ring in the power choices, but after a little thought it makes sense. Being a Lantern is an appointed office, not some trait to be absorbed and distributed. I would like if they make a GL Corps expansion, possibly where you have to be so far to earn it, ala Death Knight or wtv from wow. If it does become available, I'm going lantern all the way.

Also, nay-sayers complaining about subscription, read:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/view-from-the-road/6500-A-View-From-the-Road-The-Subscription-Equation

I was also concerned, but damn, pay monthly for however long you'll still play and you can't lose.

jaketheripper

Jan 27, 2010
Zolrak 22 said:
jaketheripper said:
Wahful said:
Do you have to keep paying month after month for the PS3 Version?
no its just a beta, but you have to have playstation plus
Will you need playstation plus after the official release?
Or can those that just pay for the game play fine without it?
no you dont need it, its just that plus members get benefits, and it would be nice if plus counted as a subscription fee to the game when it comes out :p

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
Chill people. As you probably already know most of the previews tend to be more lenient towards games and these impressions may not be the sum of qualities and defects that the game has.

Also there is what I like to call the Aion effect: A MMO that is rather bland and unfinished as a whole but it`s opening levels are dynamite.

There is more rant somewhere deep inside me but I`ll keep that for myself for the time being. Anyway damn you Greg for making me aware of another MMO coming in 2011 other than Guild wars 2. I can`t fricking play two MMOs at once.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
i have the beta for PS3 BUT the update is a whopping 15gb yeah i might wait till later to play it maybe a week be4 i get my internet back and just spend it updateing

Dash85

Mar 21, 2010
Killerbunny001 said:
Chill people. As you probably already know most of the previews tend to be more lenient towards games and these impressions may not be the sum of qualities and defects that the game has.

Also there is what I like to call the Aion effect: A MMO that is rather bland and unfinished as a whole but it`s opening levels are dynamite.

There is more rant somewhere deep inside me but I`ll keep that for myself for the time being. Anyway damn you Greg for making me aware of another MMO coming in 2011 other than Guild wars 2. I can`t fricking play two MMOs at once.
I'd say wait for Guild Wars 2. I am, and I'm in the Beta for DCUO PS3. I've only played maybe an hour, so it might get better, but it made a resounding "meh" in me. But I have to wait, as I'm off to home for Xmas vacation, so I won't know for quite a bit if it gets better later.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Jaranja said:
Yeah. This game looks incredible. I'll definitely be trying it when it's released.
Trying it would cost $65 at the least, wouldn't it?

I'm assuming you'll have to buy the game before you get the privelege to pay for the game monthly.

It looks much better than when I first saw it, I'm still sure I'll end up dissapointed but I'm starting to believe more and more that they'll pleasantly surprise me.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Huh, very interesting. Super-hero MMOs haven't really ever done anything for me, but I am pretty interested in how this combat system will work.

Thanks for the review.