Preview: Fable 3

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Preview: Fable 3

Fable 3 solves a problem you may not even have realized its predecessors had.

Read Full Article

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
...But will it be like Overlord 2? While it's cool to have a sanctuary instead of menus to control everything but after awhile could it just become a frustrating chore of going form Point A to point B to Point C (With travel time going between these points, mind you) to do those menial tasks which you feel 'need to be done' but seem to be nothing but a bother.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Gather said:
...But will it be like Overlord 2?...after awhile could it just become a frustrating chore of going form Point A to point B to Point C (With travel time going between these points, mind you) to do those menial tasks which you feel 'need to be done' but seem to be nothing but a bother.

But thats what Fable 2 was.

When you weigh your options, it was always better to just horde your cash and spend what you earn rather than "invest" in homes and shops with garbage profits (unless you planned on playing this game A LOT, but in reality, the storyline is quite short). The upgrades were trivial and better weapons could often be acquired naturally over the course of the game.

As for Point A to Point B...how about the fact that when you arrived at Point B, you were made to run around killing more crap because you didn't have enough "renown" to continue?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
John Cleese is in it.

I'm glad to hear that I'll be hearing him a fair bit as I run around changing clothes.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
hansari said:
Gather said:
...But will it be like Overlord 2?...after awhile could it just become a frustrating chore of going form Point A to point B to Point C (With travel time going between these points, mind you) to do those menial tasks which you feel 'need to be done' but seem to be nothing but a bother.

Not really; when I say like Overlord 2 I meant in relation to the menus. Overlord 2 had the same idea; reduce menu's and instead put it all into a cool fort thing so in order to, say, change your weapon you had to go from one side of the sanctuary into a completely different one. Then, you want to change your appearance so you go from that area of the sanctuary to the clothing changing one (Which could be on the other side of your sanctuary) and finally to get into the action you sit on your throne and listen to the next guy who has a problem.

The Menu's in Fable 2 was not like that. I guess I should have said something about the replacement of menu's though; not gameplay.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Damn... Peter Molyneux is undoubtedly one of the best salesmen in the business of salespeople...
the elimination of experience sounded like shit... now it has this, now im interested
the elimination of menus sounded like shit... now they have a special world to substitute for it? now im interested.

really, this sounds AMAZING, and i loved Fable 2, but I'd like to feel more like a badass who makes tough decisions in Fable 3 (i think they're starting to lean more towards Sandbox instead of RPG... which might be cool)

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
John Cleese is in it.

I'm glad to hear that I'll be hearing him a fair bit as I run around changing clothes.
And Johathan Ross, and Stephen Fry, and Sir Ben Kingsley, and Simon Pegg!

Do we still have no release date for the PC version? =\ Anyway, my hype level is set to 0 for this, I know very little about it so hopefully it will surprise me. I see armor in that screenshot which is encouraging. I was devastated they removed all the awesome armor sets that affected your alignment and made you look like a mad ****.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Gather said:
...But will it be like Overlord 2? While it's cool to have a sanctuary instead of menus to control everything but after awhile could it just become a frustrating chore of going form Point A to point B to Point C (With travel time going between these points, mind you) to do those menial tasks which you feel 'need to be done' but seem to be nothing but a bother.
The Sanctuary fills with stuff automatically as you play the game. You don't actually fix it up, it just fixes up on its own. Find a hammer, it gets added to your armory. Buy an outfit, it'll be on a mannequin the next time you visit. And there's no time between point A and B in the Sanctuary. It's not a huge, sprawling location, just a small, orderly space.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Will a little message still pop up whenever I buy something informing me I bought something? The way I see it having menus isn't the problem. The problem in Fable 2 was horrid load times and not being able to drink/eat more than one thing at a time. Also I seem to recall the menu wouldn't remember where you were, so you had to scroll through the whole list over and over. They didn't have to scrap the whole thing, I have the feeling all this will just add more load time and frustration somehow.

Rallion

Aug 10, 2009
Didn't they already do the whole "location as a menu" in Black and White?

Wasn't it annoying and confusing?

Am I remembering this wrong?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Gather said:
hansari said:
Gather said:

Not really; when I say like Overlord 2 I meant in relation to the menus. Overlord 2 had the same idea; reduce menu's and instead put it all into a cool fort thing so in order to, say, change your weapon you had to go from one side of the sanctuary into a completely different one. Then, you want to change your appearance so you go from that area of the sanctuary to the clothing changing one (Which could be on the other side of your sanctuary) and finally to get into the action you sit on your throne and listen to the next guy who has a problem.

The Menu's in Fable 2 was not like that. I guess I should have said something about the replacement of menu's though; not gameplay.
True, but I think the problem with Overlord 2 was that it put all the stuff (minion homes, forge, building yard, etc, etc) in seperate, large environments that could not be quickly loaded, or had an annoyingly slow animation to get you there. HOpefully, Fable 3 uses either single, small rooms, or a single large room with everything in it for the Fable 3 'inventory'.

Either way, it is a good idea when it works - even in Overlord 2, I felt it was a much more interesting way to look at my stuff, but the loading/transport time between maps was just too damn long, and the amount of walking around you needed to do in the minion-lair area was just too much.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Fr said:
anc[is]Will a little message still pop up whenever I buy something informing me I bought something? The way I see it having menus isn't the problem. The problem in Fable 2 was horrid load times and not being able to drink/eat more than one thing at a time. Also I seem to recall the menu wouldn't remember where you were, so you had to scroll through the whole list over and over. They didn't have to scrap the whole thing, I have the feeling all this will just add more load time and frustration somehow.
The Sanctuary is a breeze. Seriously. There are still wicked load times during actual gameplay, like when you move from one geographic area to the other, but navigating through your Sanctuary is almost entirely stress-free. A few quirks, no question, but I was shocked by its elegant usefulness.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
The Sanctuary is a breeze. Seriously. There are still wicked load times during actual gameplay, like when you move from one geographic area to the other, but navigating through your Sanctuary is almost entirely stress-free. A few quirks, no question, but I was shocked by its elegant usefulness.
Forgive me, I wasn't skeptical of you personally, I was skeptical of Peter ;p Were you playing the PC or xbox? This interface sounds wonderful for PC, just point at what you want. But when I first read it I thought you would still have to 'scroll' through all the choices, a prettier menu perhaps, but still a menu, if that makes any sense at all. I'm probably just splitting hairs here now. Good article btw :D

Jun 26, 2009
Zing said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
John Cleese is in it.

And Johathan Ross, and Stephen Fry, and Sir Ben Kingsley, and Simon Pegg!
I was sold when I saw Stephen Fry.
OT: Cool I WILL buy it now.
For several reasons.
[sub]Stephen Fry is a legend...[/sub]

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
It all starts with the Hero's Sanctuary, a 3D representation of all the information you used to access from the pause menu. The Sanctuary is a suite of rooms, each with a different purpose - head down one hallway to browse through all of the weapons in your armory, or enter another hallway to peruse the trophies you've mounted on the walls.

At the center of the Sancturary lies your map, yet another clever way to communicate dozens of bits of information without forcing you to flip through menus.
Wait, so it's exactly the same as the awkward, overblown temple from Black & White? Well, if that is the case, hopefully it won't have the same annoying labelling problem that frequently led to mutters of "cock, wrong room" and having to go back.

OT: I refuse to get excited about this game. I just flat-out refuse. I won't let you hurt me again, Peter!

Just Craig

May 21, 2010
Anybody ever play the old SNES game Terranigma?
That also had basically the exact same setup as this new Hero's Sanctuary thing.
The character had a magic box he dove into, inside of which was rooms dedicated to all your stuff, books for combat tips, and a mirror to look at your stats.

...Of course, that wasn't in 3-D, so it was basically just a different-looking menu as opposed to something interactive.