Preview: Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Preview: Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

What are guns doing in my medieval war simulator?

Read Full Article

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
There were already guns in modulation packs, but I also love this game in a somewhat disturbing manner. Best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time, when M&B and M&B:Warband were 85% off on steam :D

Nice to see they are moving forward, but hopefully they do it well.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Can't wait to see how this turns out, I love Warband hopefully this only improves on it

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
I bought M&B early during the beta and played it disturbingly much, but I've never tried Warband. I'm always suspicious about adding firearms to a mostly melee-based game. Like how PVK is ruined. People who don't see it as a problem always present the "Well yeah but if you get close to them, they're dead!"-argument. There's the "if" in that sentence, meaning there's a propability of you dying before you even have a chance of fighting back. Dying to something like that, even if your team wins the battle in the end, doesn't make for good and fun gameplay.

Then again, they already did two games with no guns, so I guess it's okay if they make one with them, even if it happens to suck.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Hmmm i just hope they take out the "begging for babies" aspect of recruitment, i didn't like traveling halfway across the damn continent rounding men up.

course the reloading will give the gunpowder weapons a weakness, i reckon players will begin to use them as one-shot shotguns before legging it away to reload if they can.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
Pandalisk said:
Hmmm i just hope they take out the "begging for babies" aspect of recruitment, i didn't like traveling halfway across the damn continent rounding men up.
There's a mod called Diplomacy that fixes that, you need your own town or castle (not village). Then you can appoint a guy that recruits troops for you, up to 50 at a time.

OT: The Mount and Blade series is so good and fresh that in my mind they can't do anything wrong. I'd buy the next one ahead of any other game I could think of.
Well, maybe not ahead of KOTOR 3 if that ever happens...

BeastofShadow

Jun 29, 2009
Deadly. Just finished up a run through of warband. The change to a historical period is a little disappointing but whatever I have faith

BTW Poland, Ukraine, Sweden and Russia are north eastern Europe not western. Western is France moving to Portugal and central is around Germany.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
Looks pretty cool =3 Will probably buy it since I liked M&B + M&B Warbands.

edit: Wait... you can play as Swedes? AWESOME! =3

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Johnnyallstar said:
There were already guns in modulation packs, but I also love this game in a somewhat disturbing manner. Best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time, when M&B and M&B:Warband were 85% off on steam :D

Nice to see they are moving forward, but hopefully they do it well.
Couldn't say it much better.

I wasn't too excited for MB Fire & Sword, but the new setting and expanded strategy stuff looks like its enough of a change to pry me from MB:WB

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome can't wait! I loved the original Mount and Blade and i love Mount and Blade: Warband and i'm sure i'll love this. Another thing i would like them to add is the ability to have children so that if your planning on starting your own kingdom and becoming king you could get married have a queen and pop out little princelings. Is there a release date set yet?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Played M&B & Warbands to death & beyond, so wont pretend I'm not interested to hear this. Hope the strong mod support continues as they were central to increasing the games longevity & fixing bugs.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Wait it's finally translated to English? I've been waiting forever for this. The adaption of By Fire and Sword is one my favourite foreign movies of all time. This summer I watched the entire >12 hour trilogy.

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
This is excellent. Warband is a great game, and my gripes with it were very little (sparse campaign map, dumb-as-hell lords, poor interface in parts). This looks like it could be everything I wanted in Mount and Blade.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Wasn't Mount and Blade the game where they said they'd add all these things if we brought it early and then went and made new add ons into standalone packs instead?

Because i'm pretty sure it was, and it's bugging me

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
Oooh, I've lost so many hours to warband and the associated mods, I can hardly wait for this new one! Kinda sad my personal faves, the Rhodok, won't be in, but historical accuracy can be fun too.