Preview: Rift: Planes of Telara Makes MMOGs Dynamic (and Gorgeous)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Preview: Rift: Planes of Telara Makes MMOGs Dynamic (and Gorgeous)

Rift: Planes of Telara takes a gorgeous-looking twist to the standard fantasy MMOG.

Read Full Article

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Looks like WOW

But damn if I don't hate MMORPGs regardless

Hopefully this will contend. I don't want to play it, I just want to EVENTUALLY see WOW crash and burn

Oh how sweet a day that will be

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
It looks quite nice and the whole four seasons in one dungeon would be very interesting to see. I might try this out when its released

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Off topic: I reckon an MMO would make a great plotline for a doctor who episode

On topic: Another MMO for the pile by the looks of it. I just don't see the appeal in them, especially since they need a lot of time, and a lot of cash in the long-run!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
DividedUnity said:
It looks quite nice and the whole four seasons in one dungeon would be very interesting to see. I might try this out when its released
The Four seasons things is certainly very, very epic. I love it

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
(and how much do you want to bet that the other four are Fire/Water/Air/Earth, hmm?)
A safe bet considering one of the videos on their site actually says this :p

I loving the vid doc on their site, game looks amazing.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
This game is actually looking a lot better than WoW. Hopefully the inevitable monthly subscriptions will be cheaper than WoW's, if so I might actually play this game.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Damn, I was kind of hoping it would be based on the old Palladium RPG Rifts. I enjoyed that game stting even if the rules were terrible. It was a nice blend of fantasy and high tech what with the Mechs and mages running around.

Ah well, looks like another MMO I won't be playing.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
WHO WHO WHOA that looks pretty awesome :O
But im rly interested in the fresh ideas that they are gona introduce in the game :O
Could it be....could the WoW killer be on his way o_O
Hope not...im still half way tru my achievements :S

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Hmm... Seems interesting.

Of course, there's a big difference between interesting ideas and successful ones, but still, I wish them well.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
It's nice to finally see a developer admit that all MMOs are essentially pitched with "like WOW, but..."

When someone finally makes a game that is completely different to WOW I might be drawn back to MMOs. But for now, life > grinding.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Azmael Silverlance said:
WHO WHO WHOA that looks pretty awesome :O
But im rly interested in the fresh ideas that they are gona introduce in the game :O
Could it be....could the WoW killer be on his way o_O
Hope not...im still half way tru my achievements :S
Why do people always say this, no one can kill WoW except for Blizzard. Which from my recent free 7 days back and the fact that they are starting to sell in game items, I don't think it will be much longer.

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
Just wish to raise the point that the server "innovation" they are applying sounds very similar to how CCP have run the servers for EVE Online for the last four or five years.

Not devaluing the MMO by any stretch, I am quite interested.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Like I said in Funk's View from the Road, the standards should be in place so that a developer focuses on building off that base instead of changing the core elements that define the genre. A lot of it is so basic that it's really unnecessary to change it.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Wait...
So this Doesn't have anything to do with "Rifts" the old pen and paper RPG from Palladium?
Because that would make a pretty kick ass game.
Even mmo.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Good for you, you have learned phasing/dymanic environments! You are only 2 years late to the party!

Who's willing to bet that this will be hyped up as the game that will kill WoW 3 months before release and will be completely forgotten 3 month after release?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Well it does look interesting, even if not really innovative for a MMO (or any 'vidio' game on that matter), how much it will be overhyped depends on how much effort will be put into marketing division tho.

Will it be WoW killer? Frankly i dont give a damn about WoW and/or killing it in any way. It has its fan base, just like Starcraft has. Personally dont see anything amazing about either of those.

Sadly tho, its yet another fantasy mmo. Getting quite bored with those, there is already too many of them and each year several new sprout around. Where are decent sci-fi ones? Where are modern world-look alikes? Sure we got TOR and TSW on the horizon but thats really not much, and Star Wars type of sci-fi is not the droid im looking for.
Come to think Neocron was probably last cybeprunkish mmo created and noone decided to pick the genre up since then. Sad :<