Previews: Metro Redux Preview - The Definitive Metro Experience

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Metro Redux Preview - The Definitive Metro Experience

The Escapist gets a preview of Metro: Redux.

Watch Video

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
You spelled Experience wrong.

---

But, speaking for PC... I am all for the 2033 reboot as it is a full engine port... but they are incredibly greedy to re-release Metro:LL with nothing new except two minor features which could and should have been DLC.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
erbkaiser said:
But, speaking for PC... I am all for the 2033 reboot as it is a full engine port... but they are incredibly greedy to re-release Metro:LL with nothing new except two minor features which could and should have been DLC.
While I see where you're coming from, I think it's unfair for a number of reasons:

1) There are three releases being made, one for each game, and the double pack. If you don't think the updates to LL are worth it, you only need to buy the Redux version of 2033.

2) The games are priced fairly, at ?19.99 each. Why is that fair? Because the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is currently selling for ?54.99 on amazon.de. That's one game, released only months before LL, and you're expected to pay out full retail for it. In comparison, the Metro games are a good deal. Sure, TRDE - nice acronym - is not on PC, but the principle remains that neither Redux game is being sold at full/new retail price.

3) If you already own either of the games and pre-order, then you get each one for ?9.99. Offering half price on both games for previous owners is definitely on the consumer-friendly side of things. Again, nothing like that exists for TRDE, which is going to cost the same no matter what.

4) Even if you think the update to LL could have been DLC, isn't the ?9.99 price kind of what you might expect for such DLC? For context, the LL Ranger Mode DLC still costs ?4.99 (even though the price of the base game has been reduced), and the Redux edition will contain more than that.

Also, if you're buying the combo pack, strictly speaking you're paying ?19.98 for both, not ?9.99 for each, and TBH the enhancements to 2033 should be worth the ?19.98. If you look at it that way (which is subjective, and that's why I'm not listing it as a main point), you're pretty much getting the LL update for free, or nearly free, or however you choose to split the cost between the two games in the pack.

I don't think it's greedy at all. And given that both games will undoubtedly be on a Steam Sale at some point, there's very little to complain about in any case.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Since one 'feature' of LL:Redux is that it includes all the DLC for LL, I feel that people who already own all of it should either get LL:Redux for free, or a bigger discount. That's basically my issues.

Yes, I have been spoilt by Steam sales...

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
erbkaiser said:
Since one 'feature' of LL:Redux is that it includes all the DLC for LL, I feel that people who already own all of it should either get LL:Redux for free, or a bigger discount. That's basically my issues.

Yes, I have been spoilt by Steam sales...
I was just checking the Steam forums, and curiously enough I saw people arguing that the 2033 price was a rip off, but the LL price was a good deal precisely because it included all the DLC.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
I knew that waiting for a PS4 version of LL was the way to go, considering how much they had to gimp that game to get it running on older hardware.
Plus I don't own a gaming PC or a 360 so I've never played 2033 even though I've wanted to for some time, so I'll definitely be picking up the Reduxs... Reduxes?... Reduxen....
[small]Shit what's the plural form of Redux?...[/small]

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Madame_le_Flour said:
Reduxes. Redux only entered the English language in the late 19th century. *Reduces is undesired as a faux-pedantic plural as it causes confusion with the verb.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Madame_le_Flour said:
I don't think there is a plural, as 'redux' is just an adjective. There's nothing in the OED, and google turns up nothing definitive either. Sure, we use it as a noun, but we really shouldn't :)

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
erbkaiser said:
Madame_le_Flour said:
Reduxes. Redux only entered the English language in the late 19th century. *Reduces is undesired as a faux-pedantic plural as it causes confusion with the verb.
Oh okay, that's funny because I originally though that it was french and the proper pronunciation was "re-do," hence why it kept being applied to re-makes.
English is kinda funny like that sometimes.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Metro 2033 coming to Linux = will pay for it.

Seriously, I've been dying to play 2033 all over again but I couldn't be bothered to deal with Windows anymore.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
I really wanted to play this series when it first came out, hopefully some more good PS4 games come out to justify me actually buying a PS4.
Madame_le_Flour said:
Redix, teehee.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
Wow, That's pretty crazy to hear about what's going on with them in Ukraine. I'm thinking I might pick these up on the PS4

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Oooh want!

I loved the Metro games and a re-master sounds like a rely good idea. If they can fix the broken stealth and make some general improvements then I think these might be the games that entice me to enter the next gen. Any word on a release date yet?

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
I think 4A need to cool down on the modes. 2033 Hardcore Ranger mode and 2033 easy normal are two different games and only one of them are truely good (like best AAA of 7th gen. good). I really don't see how they are gonna make 3 versions work.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Recreating Metro 2033 in Last Light's engine and adding bits of levels to make the plot more cohesive: okay, I'm for that, but it's entirely unnecessary. For one, Metro 2033 is in no way dated and I doubt many people complain about the map transitions. For two, some of Metro 2033's features that were removed or changed in Last Light that people personally liked (hard to read filter times, set inventory slots, difficult stealth, having a knife slot, clumsier Shambler reload) are going to be gone. I know most of the changes I just listed were less annoying, but never knowing the right time to swap filters especially in the heat of the moment, messing around with the Shambler, and being able to bash with my knife are things I was incredibly sad that they changed.

Updating Last Light and bundling the DLCs: okay, let me say that recreating a game that came out scarcely a year ago is fucking retarded. However, selling the recreation for $25 and bundling all DLCs with it saves this game. I'd say it's the closest thing Last Light gets to a collector's edition or a season pass. I'd get this only because it's bundled with all the DLCs, and because I freaking love the Metro games.

I'd prefer an original game instead of selling last year's game with more animations, but whatever. I'm getting this because I freaking love Metro and I want to support the developers.