Prey 2 Countdown Grows More Mysterious - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Prey 2 Countdown Grows More Mysterious - UPDATED

The "Alien Noire" countdown now sports plenty of official-looking Prey 2 imagery, yet Bethesda Softworks says it has nothing to do with the site.

Things are heating up at the Alien Noire countdown site we stumbled across earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121894-Alien-Noire-Countdown-Points-to-Prey-2]. The clock is ticking away, obviously, but the site is also now topped with the Prey 2 logo, as well as those of Bethesda Softworks and Human Head Studio, and even offers an option to subscribe to... something. The source code has been updated as well, with a message stating, "Tommy needs your help with a stranded human who wants to go home."

Yet while the site has taken on an ever-more-official look, Bethesda Softworks insists that it has nothing to do with it. "I don't know what that is or who is doing it," a rep told Joystiq. "It's not something we're doing."

So who is behind it? The whois [http://whois.net/whois/aliennoire.com], as we've already noted, leads to "The Collective," with an address in Cherokee County, Oklahoma - Tommy's old stomping grounds. Subscribing to the site rewards you with an image of a heavily-populated alien world with the filename "exodus," which isn't exactly helpful either. As for the image itself, you're looking at it. Anyone recognize it?

One way or the other, we'll find out what's going on soon enough, because the countdown hits zero in about a week. You better believe we'll be watching.

UPDATE: The Alien Noire site is now pumping out "daily secret" images to subscribers and while I don't claim to be able to tell that they're photoshopped (even though I've seen quite a few shops in my life) there's definitely something "off" about them. The low resolution makes it difficult to be sure but the images look a bit to me like a mish-mash of elements lifted from different games, which of course makes the whole thing even more mysterious. Who would bother - and why?

[gallery=1066]

Three images have been sent out so far, and three more will presumably be sent out before the countdown hits zero. Perhaps the forthcoming images will make things clearer, but in the meantime, thoughts?

Source: Alien Noire [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/22/bethesda-prey-2-teaser-site-is-not-something-were-doing]

Apr 28, 2008
please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax

Prey 2 is one of the very few games that actually manages to live up to its CGI trailer. I want it. I want it very badly.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Really hoping Bethesda's just flat out lying and is in fact behind this. The game looks too good not to see a release.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I'm still very skeptical. I remember some time ago there was a countdown framed with a hi-res picture of Majora's Mask with the tagline "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" and it turned out to be an orchestral soundtrack of the music in the game, not a hi-def re-release as many were expecting.

Kudos to them if this is a legitimate release and they're playing dumb. I admit, the game showed great promise from the trailer (Then again, so did Dead Island). But we'll find out sooner or later.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
If this really didn't have anything to do with them, the website would have been hit with a takedown notice by now. Zenimax are pretty protective of their trademarks.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
Could it be one of the other people involved in the game who are not directly Bethesda? 'Oh, we're not behind that (but the guy sitting across the hall might be...)'

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
To be honest guys. The gameplay trailer for Prey 2 looked NOTHING like the actual first Prey game. I've been wanting a good sequel to come out, but what that piece of E3 footage showed us didn't really feel like an actual sequel. The original space-station was a terrifying mess of weird non-euclidian architecture, disgusting organic bits, cold metal bits, strange evil creatures, scary sounds, bone-chilling events, etc. etc. etc.

Prey is NOT Blade Runner in space! :(

So yeah, this excites me knowing that Bethesda has buggered off.

Alex Grey

Feb 20, 2010
I don't really get why people think a sequel to a game has to be EXACTLY like the first game and has to have the EXACT same setting and gameplay. I mean, yeah sure.. it can... but it doesn't have to. It's the same with Bioshoch: Infinite - the fact it was in Rapture in the begnning doesn't mean it has to always happen in there. It's the theme and the general idea that is mutual for both (human genome messing etc.).
With Prey it seems like the execution and gameplay might be different but the world it happens in and slight westerny theme stays the same:
Prey 1: Indian in space
Prey 2: Cowboy in space
I still do hope some of the portal/gravity/whythehellisthatguysobigohmyit'smewhoissmall fun is still there though as it is already developed that such thing exist as the part of this game universe so would be strange if they threw it all out completely. They could say that those were connected to the original sphere-ship from the first part which im not sure will be here - they have full right to write their world as they wish, only thing that matters is for it to be good.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax please be Prey 2 please don't be a hoax

Prey 2 is one of the very few games that actually manages to live up to its CGI trailer. I want it. I want it very badly.
I shall be assuming direct control of this comment. That is all.

GameChanger said:
To be honest guys. The gameplay trailer for Prey 2 looked NOTHING like the actual first Prey game. I've been wanting a good sequel to come out, but what that piece of E3 footage showed us didn't really feel like an actual sequel. The original space-station was a terrifying mess of weird non-euclidian architecture, disgusting organic bits, cold metal bits, strange evil creatures, scary sounds, bone-chilling events, etc. etc. etc.

Prey is NOT Blade Runner in space! :(

So yeah, this excites me knowing that Bethesda has buggered off.
I think we can safely say that you're the only one who gives a crap. Which I guess sucks for you but... come on, it's fucking bounty hunting in space. They could pretend it's a sequel to Cooking Mama for all I care.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Alex Grey said:
I don't really get why people think a sequel to a game has to be EXACTLY like the first game and has to have the EXACT same setting and gameplay. I mean, yeah sure.. it can... but it doesn't have to. It's the same with Bioshoch: Infinite - the fact it was in Rapture in the begnning doesn't mean it has to always happen in there. It's the theme and the general idea that is mutual for both (human genome messing etc.).
With Prey it seems like the execution and gameplay might be different but the world it happens in and slight westerny theme stays the same:
Prey 1: Indian in space
Prey 2: Cowboy in space
I still do hope some of the portal/gravity/whythehellisthatguysobigohmyit'smewhoissmall fun is still there though as it is already developed that such thing exist as the part of this game universe so would be strange if they threw it all out completely. They could say that those were connected to the original sphere-ship from the first part which im not sure will be here - they have full right to write their world as they wish, only thing that matters is for it to be good.
Pray 3:Soldier in space... wait... crap nm...(colonial marine just popped in my head..)

I hope Bethesda is lying... I actually want to play as space cowboy... please have bullet time...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Next image:

The dudes on the left are (pretty) clearly the guy that Space Johnny Cash was pursuing in the live-action Prey 2 trailer we saw some time ago. Doesn't mean they're not shopped, however. And the girl behind the bar is by all appearances a Twi'lek, so take it for what it's worth. The whole thing looks fishy.

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
Irridium said:
What he said ^^^

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
And, it turn's out to be a fan site that issue only a petition to convice bethesda to finish the game.

i almsot could sense the thousands of simultanious facepalms that occur when the countdown reached zero