PREY is getting Excellent reviews from everywhere

MrBoBo

New member
Jul 23, 2008
214
0
0
I agree, the trailers and footage made the game look incredibly boring. The enemies as well (basically black things) didn't help.
 

Darth Rosenberg

New member
Oct 25, 2011
1,288
0
0
B-Cell said:
thats only one review.
...unsurprisingly, I knew that'd be your exact response. If you wish to amend your thread title, by all means go ahead - if you actually meant 'Prey is getting excellent reviews from certain review bodies I approve of'.

beside i trust worthy youtubers than professional critics. they are used to of playing COD like FPS where you have explosion ever 3 second, scripted, regen health and cover system.
...please don't try to generalise about a review source you likely know nothing of. GC at Metro have been reviewing all sorts of games (as well as doing some of best interviews in the biz) over decades (in terms of lineage they technically go back to the mid '90's on Teletext, when it was known as Digitiser, though obviously it's now a completely different team).

YT has some excellent content creators, sure (George Weidman [https://www.youtube.com/user/bunnyhopshow] for one, Joseph Anderson [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhnYIvIKK_--PiJXCMKxQQ] for another), but it also has a large number of brainless, ignorant idiots 'reviewing' games, so I say go the Mulder route; Trust No One But Look At Multiple Sources And Gather A Variety Of Anecdotal Player Experience And Then Maybe Watch Some Of An LP And Then Ideally Maybe Try The Game Out Yourself. Pretty sure that was an X-Files line...
 

B-Cell_v1legacy

New member
Feb 9, 2016
2,102
0
0
Darth Rosenberg said:
B-Cell said:
thats only one review.
...unsurprisingly, I knew that'd be your exact response. If you wish to amend your thread title, by all means go ahead - if you actually meant 'Prey is getting excellent reviews from certain review bodies I approve of'.

beside i trust worthy youtubers than professional critics. they are used to of playing COD like FPS where you have explosion ever 3 second, scripted, regen health and cover system.
...please don't try to generalise about a review source you likely know nothing of. GC at Metro have been reviewing all sorts of games (as well as doing some of best interviews in the biz) over decades (in terms of lineage they technically go back to the mid '90's on Teletext, when it was known as Digitiser, though obviously it's now a completely different team).

YT has some excellent content creators, sure (George Weidman [https://www.youtube.com/user/bunnyhopshow] for one, Joseph Anderson [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhnYIvIKK_--PiJXCMKxQQ] for another), but it also has a large number of brainless, ignorant idiots 'reviewing' games, so I say go the Mulder route; Trust No One But Look At Multiple Sources And Gather A Variety Of Anecdotal Player Experience And Then Maybe Watch Some Of An LP And Then Ideally Maybe Try The Game Out Yourself. Pretty sure that was an X-Files line...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/09/prey-review/

theres RPS review. who dont give scores but they praise it. and its PC focus site.

point is. except few negative review who dislike it because its too deep for them. its been getting positive reviews.
 

Darth Rosenberg

New member
Oct 25, 2011
1,288
0
0
B-Cell said:
point is. except few negative review who dislike it because its too deep for them. its been getting positive reviews.
Is that a joke? The review I linked to - debunking your thread title - clearly didn't dislike it because it was "too deep", they disliked the lack of innovation in the setting, the bland enemy designs, and so on. It's just one opinion, of course, but so are all the other reviews.
 

Tomeran

New member
Nov 17, 2011
156
0
0
Its not bad. Its "worth-the-money, might consider a re-play eventually"-kind of good. So...yeah. Depends on peoples tastes. Most gamers seemed to treat the bioshock games as the second coming of christ(I found them entertaining but not a 10/10 experience), and im fairly sure that those people will appreciate this game greatly, since it has certain "bioshock, but in space"-vibes to it.

Its polished, well optimized, has fun combat mechanics, interesting-enough story and at least some re-play value. 8/10?

Not sure I consider it a game worth raising a ruckus about or placing on a pedestal though.
 

CritialGaming

New member
Mar 25, 2015
2,170
0
0
Darth Rosenberg said:
B-Cell said:
point is. except few negative review who dislike it because its too deep for them. its been getting positive reviews.
Is that a joke? The review I linked to - debunking your thread title - clearly didn't dislike it because it was "too deep", they disliked the lack of innovation in the setting, the bland enemy designs, and so on. It's just one opinion, of course, but so are all the other reviews.
I'm just gonna say I hated the game so much I refunded it on Steam. So there's that. I'm obviously not a certified review outlet or anything, just a guy who's been playing video games for 27 fucking years.

Funny how the moment you disagree with someone they just say, "Well you don't know WTF you are talking about."

It's fine to like something that somebody else doesn't, I don't know why people have to defend their game choices to the death.

Prey is not the second coming of video-game Jesus. It's not even good enough to be an FPS masterpiece as the 74 on metacritic will attest too. Prey is just a decent game, nothing more, nothing less. And like most decent games, people will either love it (like B-Cell, though im not sure he has played it yet) or hate it (like my mentally disturbed self)
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,789
1
0
JUMBO PALACE said:
No matter how many B-Cell threads I wander into I'm still equally shocked at how far someone's head can be up their own rear end every time.
And! It! IS! GLORIOUS! ... no, really. Thoroughly entertaining.

It makes me really wonder who/what he/she/it really is. My bets are on gunsexual male post-op transsexual lemure bodybuilder neckbeard with a limp in his left leg and a crippling addiction to MANdarins.
 

MrBoBo

New member
Jul 23, 2008
214
0
0
B-Cell said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
B-Cell said:
thats only one review.
...unsurprisingly, I knew that'd be your exact response. If you wish to amend your thread title, by all means go ahead - if you actually meant 'Prey is getting excellent reviews from certain review bodies I approve of'.

beside i trust worthy youtubers than professional critics. they are used to of playing COD like FPS where you have explosion ever 3 second, scripted, regen health and cover system.
...please don't try to generalise about a review source you likely know nothing of. GC at Metro have been reviewing all sorts of games (as well as doing some of best interviews in the biz) over decades (in terms of lineage they technically go back to the mid '90's on Teletext, when it was known as Digitiser, though obviously it's now a completely different team).

YT has some excellent content creators, sure (George Weidman [https://www.youtube.com/user/bunnyhopshow] for one, Joseph Anderson [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhnYIvIKK_--PiJXCMKxQQ] for another), but it also has a large number of brainless, ignorant idiots 'reviewing' games, so I say go the Mulder route; Trust No One But Look At Multiple Sources And Gather A Variety Of Anecdotal Player Experience And Then Maybe Watch Some Of An LP And Then Ideally Maybe Try The Game Out Yourself. Pretty sure that was an X-Files line...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/09/prey-review/

theres RPS review. who dont give scores but they praise it. and its PC focus site.

point is. except few negative review who dislike it because its too deep for them. its been getting positive reviews.

It only has a 70% metacritic. On Gamespot you promised repeatedly it would be best fps since Halflife 2.


I'm disappointed, it's no System shock.
 

B-Cell_v1legacy

New member
Feb 9, 2016
2,102
0
0
MrBoBo said:
B-Cell said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
B-Cell said:
thats only one review.
...unsurprisingly, I knew that'd be your exact response. If you wish to amend your thread title, by all means go ahead - if you actually meant 'Prey is getting excellent reviews from certain review bodies I approve of'.

beside i trust worthy youtubers than professional critics. they are used to of playing COD like FPS where you have explosion ever 3 second, scripted, regen health and cover system.
...please don't try to generalise about a review source you likely know nothing of. GC at Metro have been reviewing all sorts of games (as well as doing some of best interviews in the biz) over decades (in terms of lineage they technically go back to the mid '90's on Teletext, when it was known as Digitiser, though obviously it's now a completely different team).

YT has some excellent content creators, sure (George Weidman [https://www.youtube.com/user/bunnyhopshow] for one, Joseph Anderson [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhnYIvIKK_--PiJXCMKxQQ] for another), but it also has a large number of brainless, ignorant idiots 'reviewing' games, so I say go the Mulder route; Trust No One But Look At Multiple Sources And Gather A Variety Of Anecdotal Player Experience And Then Maybe Watch Some Of An LP And Then Ideally Maybe Try The Game Out Yourself. Pretty sure that was an X-Files line...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/09/prey-review/

theres RPS review. who dont give scores but they praise it. and its PC focus site.

point is. except few negative review who dislike it because its too deep for them. its been getting positive reviews.

It only has a 70% metacritic. On Gamespot you promised repeatedly it would be best fps since Halflife 2.


I'm disappointed, it's no System shock.
Game is not fully reviewed yet.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/prey

its 85 currently and yes it is modern day system shock. but more action oriented.
 

Darth Rosenberg

New member
Oct 25, 2011
1,288
0
0
CritialGaming said:
Prey is not the second coming of video-game Jesus. It's not even good enough to be an FPS masterpiece as the 74 on metacritic will attest too. Prey is just a decent game, nothing more, nothing less. And like most decent games, people will either love it (like B-Cell, though im not sure he has played it yet) or hate it (like my mentally disturbed self)
Nah, there's more than just those two: I'm spectacularly indifferent towards it. ;-) From what I've seen I'm about as indifferent to it as the creators were to any visual/artistic design worth a damn.

Charcharo said:
Consoles objectively have no pros at all.
Cost more, offer less, dangerous to gaming's long term future.

Those are the facts.
...no they're not (that's a perception of yours), but this isn't the thread for that.
 

RaikuFA

New member
Jun 12, 2009
4,370
0
0
Charcharo said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Bombiz said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Gaming is quite cheap if you play on a console.
also on PC. Don't hate PC just because of the PCMR people. makes no real sense.
I didn't hate on PC. I just prefer consoles because their pros are more important to me than the pros of PC gaming. There's quite a few people here that think console gaming has no pros at all.
Consoles objectively have no pros at all.
Cost more, offer less, dangerous to gaming's long term future.

Those are the facts.

Least I can put in a game and just start it up. Unlike on PC where I have to learn how to code just to start up a bunch of games.
 

RaikuFA

New member
Jun 12, 2009
4,370
0
0
Charcharo said:
RaikuFA said:
Charcharo said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Bombiz said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Gaming is quite cheap if you play on a console.
also on PC. Don't hate PC just because of the PCMR people. makes no real sense.
I didn't hate on PC. I just prefer consoles because their pros are more important to me than the pros of PC gaming. There's quite a few people here that think console gaming has no pros at all.
Consoles objectively have no pros at all.
Cost more, offer less, dangerous to gaming's long term future.

Those are the facts.

Least I can put in a game and just start it up. Unlike on PC where I have to learn how to code just to start up a bunch of games.
This is interesting. I, as a poor Eastern European have been on PC for 20 years. Even when I didnt know English I had little issues getting a game to work.

You see, you have an installer. Press install. Yes, yes, yes several times. Then an exe appears on scree and I enter the game. Even my 6 year old self that still thought my monitor is the Computer knew that if a new game is new, I probably had to just set options to low.

And that is why I didnt learn programming. If only I knew programming was the OTHER way to PC game, I'd not have had to study C and SQL just to get a job to live in poor PC Gaming Eastern Europe. Silly me.

*Seriously now, lying is dishonest.
And yet games like Amnesia and Vampire the Masquerade refuse to start up for me. I can get games like Magic to work though. After my computer went kaput 3 years ago I just gave up altogether. Also there'should barely any JRPG's on there so I don't see the point in using a PC.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
17,002
1,070
118
Country
Argentina
B-Cell said:
point is. except few negative review who dislike it because its too deep for them. its been getting positive reviews.
I thought I knew what analytical criticism was, because I've been doing it professionally for 7 years.
Then I read your 2deep4u and I realized I have a long, long way to go.
Thank you.
 

RaikuFA

New member
Jun 12, 2009
4,370
0
0
Charcharo said:
RaikuFA said:
Charcharo said:
RaikuFA said:
Charcharo said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Bombiz said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Gaming is quite cheap if you play on a console.
also on PC. Don't hate PC just because of the PCMR people. makes no real sense.
I didn't hate on PC. I just prefer consoles because their pros are more important to me than the pros of PC gaming. There's quite a few people here that think console gaming has no pros at all.
Consoles objectively have no pros at all.
Cost more, offer less, dangerous to gaming's long term future.

Those are the facts.

Least I can put in a game and just start it up. Unlike on PC where I have to learn how to code just to start up a bunch of games.
This is interesting. I, as a poor Eastern European have been on PC for 20 years. Even when I didnt know English I had little issues getting a game to work.

You see, you have an installer. Press install. Yes, yes, yes several times. Then an exe appears on scree and I enter the game. Even my 6 year old self that still thought my monitor is the Computer knew that if a new game is new, I probably had to just set options to low.

And that is why I didnt learn programming. If only I knew programming was the OTHER way to PC game, I'd not have had to study C and SQL just to get a job to live in poor PC Gaming Eastern Europe. Silly me.

*Seriously now, lying is dishonest.
And yet games like Amnesia and Vampire the Masquerade refuse to start up for me. I can get games like Magic to work though. After my computer went kaput 3 years ago I just gave up altogether. Also there'should barely any JRPG's on there so I don't see the point in using a PC.
Without more information I can not tell you what the issue is. But the very fact you can even play Vampire the Masquerade (game from 2004) on PC is... already making conslows obsolete.
I suggest getting the GOG version of Vampire the Masquerade and Amnesia. Those are often very cheap and include player made fixes for VTMBL.

As for JRPGs... due to emulation and backwards compatibility, PC is ahead of any other "gaming" device.
But I can't play Vampire the Masquerade. And why should I double dip? Plus add $1000 on top of that. Not worth it. Plus a few more hundred every few months for a graphics card.