PREY is getting Excellent reviews from everywhere

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Skatalite said:
Yeah, I'm sure it'll get excellent reviews. How many AAA games don't get excellent reviews?
Gears of War 4 (at least from the Youtube channels he's citing).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Is "everywhere" Turkish videogame website "Merlin's Kazani", whose review is the only one that has showed up on Metacritic so far because Bethesda has the game under an embargo at the moment?

Or is "everywhere" Worthabuy? My cat has more constructive criticism than Worthabuy.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Pass on this garbage. Espesially since they threw their legal boner at a indie studio for titling their game Prey of the Gods. YEAH BECAUSE YOUR LEGAL TEAM CONSISTS OF TIM LANGDELL!

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm unwilling to ackowledge its existence for the fact that Bethesda made it singlehandedly impossible for Human Head Studio's to ever release Prey 2. And HHS were nearly driven to bankruptcy due to this.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
B-Cell said:
Ezekiel said:
Why do you need some guy on YouTube to tell you what to buy? Why don't you just play the demo? Oh right... Screw you, devs. Steam's two hour refund policy isn't a substitute for the demo everyone else has access to. Sometimes (I mean, back when I still GOT to play demos) I play demos for more than two hours, because that's how long it takes me to see if I like it. Having 60 dollars taken out of your bank account and waiting two weeks for it to go back also isn't appealing. I have almost zero interest in this game. A demo might have grabbed my attention. I'm not gonna watch your one hour developer playthroughs, Bethesda. That's boring as hell.
Its a well optimize game as promise
Steam reviews are very positive
Its Half life meet System shock
Its Old school immersive sim with no regen health, cover system, xray vision, hand holding.
It has excellent level design.

and i could go on and on.

we dont get these types of games every year.
This is just a list of buzzwords that mean absolutely nothing. Also, I second the bioshock comparison

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Ezekiel said:
They show you extracts of the best parts whether it's a demo or official walkthrough. At least with a demo, you can get a FEEL for it. What's with this passive-aggressive master race bullshit? I've played Dishonored. That's it. Didn't think it was that great. But Prey doesn't even look that similar, so I can't use it as a comparison. Besides, even good developers make stinkers.
I don't recall a walkthrough ever showing the best parts. Watch Dogs showed pretty standard stuff the game offered. Splinter Cell Blacklist showed an entire mission that was basically standard. Prey showed the first hour that I very much doubt is the best part of the game. If you played Dishonored, you should know what to expect. Arkane is about quality over quantity with good open-ended level design. Just based on it being more shooter than stealth game, it should basically play like Bioshock but with far more player creativity and better level design. If you don't care for outside-the-box thinking with regards to gameplay, it probably won't be your thing. I've heard criticisms about Dishonored for being too easy, that's not the point of the game; the point was allowing the player to be creative vs playing it like say a Thief game. The combat probably won't be the greatest but probably better than expected for this type of game. Arkane has never been great with writing so the story shouldn't be anything special although I'm hearing positive things about it from a couple video reviews. No one else is making games like this in the AAA market, you either want to play it or you don't, it's not some unknown property.

Gaming is quite cheap if you play on a console, I can make money from buying and playing a game. I'm just tried of quite a few PC master race people here claiming PC gaming has all the pros of console gaming and none of the cons when it's pretty much a bold faced lie.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Still looks like a less interesting current-gen Bioshock with shit enemies.

I'll give it a look when it comes down to the price of a takeaway lunch.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I didn't know this game existed until about a week ago. Apparently its some MAJOR PC release which is good to know because I've got a new PC coming in soon.

I've learned to be CONCERNED when a game gets MASS praise. I find more often then not that there's a snowballing hype effect and after the dust settles we walk away with the reality of things. While the reality will probably not be negative, it could easily take a 10/10 experience and pull it back to reality as a 7/10 game.

The best example of this is probably GTA4. A game that hand tons of perfect review scores, game of the year reviews, mass player hype and positive reviews and yet after 6 or 12 months reality seemed to set in. Zelda: Skyward Sword is another excellent example for what its worth.

I wish Prey all the best, I'm definitely interested in the game based on what little I've seen but I'm in no hurry at all to pick it up. Maybe when its roughly half price during the Steam New Years Sale.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Now that I'm watching some gameplay videos, you know what? I can totally see a little bit of BioShock in it. Color me interested.

babinro said:
I've learned to be CONCERNED when a game gets MASS praise.
Don't worry, for the moment it hasn't actually gotten any.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Ezekiel said:
The walkthroughs always show favorable parts, like the demos. Often, they're even the same chapters.

Gaming can be quite cheap if you play on a PC. No one here pretends PC gaming doesn't have cons.
Demos and walkthroughs are marketing tools so they're meant to sell the product. It's not hard to see what the core gameplay is going to be no matter how much they jazz it up like Ubisoft does with the scripted voice acting with say Rainbow Six Siege or The Division. The way the gameplay is strung together is done in a manner to be smooth to where we know the AI is scripted to do certain things to show off certain aspects of the game within the allotted time frame. When you get the game, the odds are very likely things won't play out like what you saw but indeed everything you saw can be done. If you get good enough at most games, the player can make those game walkthroughs look pretty tame in comparison, have you seen a StealthGamerBR video? Arkane should use his videos to market the Dishonored games, the gameplay is more impressive than the pre-rendered Dishonored trailers.

On PC you have to wait for sales for gaming to be cheap, I can buy day 1 if I want and still get sale prices due to the ability to sell my game when I'm done. There's a few people here that think consoles have literally nothing going for them.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
does it have altered gravity like the first prey game? that bastard of a thing made me motion sick

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
pookie101 said:
does it have altered gravity like the first prey game? that bastard of a thing made me motion sick
Not quite like Prey 1, but it does have zero-G segments where you can spin around in multiple different directions and end up wrestling to figure out which way is up, if you got motion sick in Prey 1, I imagine those segments might cause the same issues.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
EternallyBored said:
pookie101 said:
Not quite like Prey 1, but it does have zero-G segments where you can spin around in multiple different directions and end up wrestling to figure out which way is up, if you got motion sick in Prey 1, I imagine those segments might cause the same issues.
thanks for that.. ill skip it then

Jan 19, 2016
Johnny Novgorod said:
Is "everywhere" Turkish videogame website "Merlin's Kazani", whose review is the only one that has showed up on Metacritic so far because Bethesda has the game under an embargo at the moment?

Or is "everywhere" Worthabuy? My cat has more constructive criticism than Worthabuy.
You should start a Youtube channel and have your cat review video games. I think it would be an instant hit and you could score some fat Patreon bucks.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
RaikuFA said:
Pass on this garbage. Espesially since they threw their legal boner at a indie studio for titling their game Prey of the Gods. YEAH BECAUSE YOUR LEGAL TEAM CONSISTS OF TIM LANGDELL!
because they let other company to change the name so entire game is bad. right?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
B-Cell said:
RaikuFA said:
because they let other company to change the name so entire game is bad. right?
I'd like everyone to take a moment to reflect on B-Cell arguing that a single negative element or decision does not ruin an entire game. Just let that sink in.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
I've been playing it for about 10 hours and I must say that it might be my GOTY. The story is intriguing and the mimics are spooky, though I do feel like some enemies are WAY to difficult to kill, so much that I pretty much have to avoid them.