Price Reveal for Gen 9: EDIT: I think based upon market data, not MS or Sony as youtube vid. suggest

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
But 2015 was it's second year?

November 2015 marked the console's second birthday, so bar a month it was basically it's second year.
Yeah, I'd say from the console's release in late 2013 upto about spring 2015 when some good games starting to come out it was pretty bad. So I guess that's 1,5 years where it had almost nothing to play.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Found the fake gamer.
I have these nice black boxes the wife doesn't even notice. She does not really even know what I have (black PS4 Pro and Xbox 1 X sitting next to a black cable tv box: below is a 4 TB black external drive for the Xbox, 8 TB for the PS4... I can just say it is all part of our cable package!) I get that white one, I'm a dead man. No way does she not see that. What I do to maintain a civil environment.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, I'd say from the console's release in late 2013 upto about spring 2015 when some good games starting to come out it was pretty bad. So I guess that's 1,5 years where it had almost nothing to play.
This is one case where I’m glad I don’t have a ton of time to play. I’ll still be chipping away at PS4 games by the time there’s a Slim model. Hell I was doing so with PS3 games until last year, and there’s still some stuff I haven’t at least played through.

The silver lining here I think will be that even if I don’t finish all my PS4 stuff, it’ll probably carry over to be playable on the 5 by that time.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I have these nice black boxes the wife doesn't even notice. She does not really even know what I have (black PS4 Pro and Xbox 1 X sitting next to a black cable tv box: below is a 4 TB black external drive for the Xbox, 8 TB for the PS4... I can just say it is all part of our cable package!) I get that white one, I'm a dead man. No way does she not see that. What I do to maintain a civil environment.
When you said it "clashes with my decor" for a second I actually thought it was your and not hers. I find this funny because I have a cousin in a similar situation, but "his decor" clashes with black instead.

Reactions: gorfias

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Hm, horizon zero dawn sequel and a cyberpunk cat game is enough for me to sell my gran at some point for the shiny new toy box. But only when they're out and professionally shaken down for bugs n parasites. The games I mean, not gran.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
When you said it "clashes with my decor" for a second I actually thought it was your and not hers. I find this funny because I have a cousin in a similar situation, but "his decor" clashes with black instead.
The boy moved out with our white 360. I still have a white Wii and silver PS2 slim in our exercise/family room in the basement. So, she knows I have "stuff". She just isn't sure how much and where! :) (She's seen me game in our main room: she just doesn't really know upon what). Wondering what your cousin has. I think there was a white PS4. ps4.jpg Not sure what else from Gen 8 but I totally feel your cousin's pain. ITMT: The Xbox Series X isn't much better. She is going to notice that fridge, no matter the color.xbox.jpg White Xboxes were a thing too.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I like the PS5 design, i think it looks cool. But I also keep my PS behind the TV so nobody in the room can see it anyway. *shrug* no big deal no matter what it looks like.

Not that the look of the system really matters, when it's the games that will make or break the systems anyway.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The PS5's GPU/CPU are designed with backwards compatibility baked into them.

With the PS3 the backwards compatibility was provided through custom hardware soldered onto the motherboard, making it a potential target for cost reduction.
Perhaps, but since an "all digital" version is standard right out of the box, and based on the console design seems to be the intended version of the console (the disk version looks like it has a tumor growing out of the side) I wouldn't be surprised if the "slim versions" were digital only, and that's not going to be backward compatible.

Backward compatibility with the PS4 is entirely predicated on having a blu-ray disk drive.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Backward compatibility with the PS4 is entirely predicated on having a blu-ray disk drive.
What would ever make you think that?

Digital game sales have skyrocketed over the course of this generation. Not having backwards compatibility on the digital only console would cut out large portions of game libraries for many users.

Backwards compatibility isn't predicated on having a Blu-ray disc drive.

The Blu-ray drive is nothing more than a means of getting the game data onto your console, there is virtually no difference between letting the user copy over the disc and letting the user download their copy from the internet.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
What would ever make you think that?

Digital game sales have skyrocketed over the course of this generation. Not having backwards compatibility on the digital only console would cut out large portions of game libraries for many users.

Backwards compatibility isn't predicated on having a Blu-ray disc drive.

The Blu-ray drive is nothing more than a means of getting the game data onto your console, there is virtually no difference between letting the user copy over the disc and letting the user download their copy from the internet.
Ok, I have a library of games on disks, how would I play them without a disk drive? Sure, playstation could let me download them online, but they need a way to authenticate that I actually own the game physically.

If the slim version doesn't have a blu-ray drive then it doesn't have backward compatibility with the physical library of games I own.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Why would Sony stop making PS5s with disc drives when it comes time to release their updated slimmer version? They're not gonna drop half their install base in the middle of the generation.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Ok, I have a library of games on disks, how would I play them without a disk drive? Sure, playstation could let me download them online, but they need a way to authenticate that I actually own the game physically.

If the slim version doesn't have a blu-ray drive then it doesn't have backward compatibility with the physical library of games I own.
Generally when a slim model comes out, the old model's production is stopped.

Why would they suddenly cut out half of their install base mid-generation?
Do you understand how absurd the hypothetical picture is you're painting?