Prince of Persia Is Back From The Dead... Kind Of

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Prince of Persia Is Back From The Dead... Kind Of

You can't turn back the clock in Prince of Persia: The Shadow and the Flame.

Remember when Ubisoft Montreal CEO, Yannis Mallat, told us the Prince of Persia franchise was being "paused" to give it time to "breathe and grow." I do, it was a little over two months ago. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121772-Prince-of-Persia-is-on-Hiatus] Well, apparently the franchise has done enough breathing and growing, as Ubisoft is already testing the waters with another HD remake of the original series set for release on smartphones and tablets.

The POP timeline is a little convoluted, so let me break it down for you. Prince of Persia: The Shadow and the Flame is a complete remake of Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame, which was released back in 1993. Much like its predecessor, Prince of Persia Classic (itself a remake of the first Prince of Persia game) The Shadow and the Flame loosely follows the structure of the original game, albeit with smoother animations and an aesthetic lifted from the Sands of Time trilogy.

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out. While the original Prince of Persia is an undeniable classic and a gaming milestone - without which we'd have no Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and so on - Prince of Persia Classic was more about cashing in on Sands of Time's success. Now that Prince of Persia has taken a backseat to Assassin's Creed in the jumpy-stabby sweepstakes, I'm not sure the franchise still has the clout to pull in the crowds, particularly if it's a tablet-only affair.

Source: YouTube [http://youtu.be/OXQLYySMMNU]

Cloake

Sep 26, 2007
I have fond memories of Prince of Persia 2. It was one of my favorites way back when. Unfortunately, I don't have a tablet or smartphone. Not sure why they wouldn't also go the Steam route on this one--it doesn't really seem wise to me to further limit the audience for an already niche game in the "classic PC platformer sequel pseudo-remake" genre.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Without any irony at all, hurry up and take my money, sold. I still have a guidebook for both of these games from back in the day. I also bought POP Classic for android as soon as I knew it existed. These games are absolutely classics and everyone should play them.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I could never do that damn run across the top of the collapsing columns to get to the damn horse... had to cheat to the next level.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
And this is why I'm glad I bought a Nexus 7 so that I can enjoy the benefits of being able to play an HD remake on the tablet to give it more purpose.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Gawddammit, Ubisoft, stop milking your franchise to death.

AND WHY IS THERE NO 3DS RELEASE >:C

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Prince of persia franchise is similar to Mario. no matter what they shell out people are willing to throw money at them, and this is why the breathing time is bad business practice. if you can shell out same thing over and over again and keep getting rich, why stop that?

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
I automatically hate this game on the grounds that the main character animation is not MoCap of a little boy in pajamas.
You had an opportunity here Ubisoft, and you blew it.
TJC said:
Blew it double time.

Jack Nief

Nov 18, 2011
TJC said:
Gawddammit, Ubisoft, stop milking your franchise to death.

Forget the 3DS, why isn't it on EVERYTHING? I'd have been massively inclined to get this were it on PSN or even Steam, but for some distinctively insane reason they wanted to make it be exclusive to tablets.