Prince Phillip dies age 99

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I do find it funny though, that the US republican party is apparently swinging back to royalty rule. Seeing how many trumpists actually believe that gahwd is choosing our presidents, and he's been divinely chosen, and all that shit. They think he's an actual king. I mean, that's literally the kind of shit we revolted against back at the founding. And these chucklefucks are bringing it back. Rulership by divine providence. That's democracy in their eyes!! *rolls eyes*
Faith in general is on the decline in the US, so the super faithful need a new messiah to get behind. They tried that whole Jesus said to love your neighbors, feed the hungry, help the poor and don't slut-shame women, and that didn't gel well with their desire to be white, rich, land and slave owning powerful warmongers who married girls off at 12 to make sure they're virginal.
And who better to be a messiah to people like that than Donald Trump?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And who better to be a messiah to people like that than Donald Trump?
What is a false God and Messiah to a non-believer? He ain't Satan either. That would be an insult to the Devil himself. Dude is nothing more than a greedy, pathetic, human. There are demons with more humanity than him and his followers. His slaves that claim to lack free will or personal responsibility.

Reactions: happyninja42

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I have no strong feelings about him. Condolences to his nearest.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Reading some of the obituaries, Phillip seemed like an interesting guy.

The funeral could be awkward. I wonder if Harry and Meghan are getting an invite.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Well, there is only so long the best medical care and dark magic that money can buy can keep you alive so long I suppose.

I'm sure this is all very sad for his family and friends, but boil this down to the bare bones and this is "Old Man Dies" and seeing as I never met the bloke, I find it very hard to give more than a cursory "meh". Its like when the Royal Clothes Horse or Yoko Ono pop out another hatchling, we are supposed to care when it boils down to "Woman has baby". The most annoying thing is that between now and his funeral there will be nothing else being discussed on TV and Radio. Its time to avoid both.

But hey, British people, fingers crossed for a bank holiday:)

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, there is only so long the best medical care and dark magic that money can buy can keep you alive so long I suppose.

I'm sure this is all very sad for his family and friends, but boil this down to the bare bones and this is "Old Man Dies" and seeing as I never met the bloke, I find it very hard to give more than a cursory "meh". Its like when the Royal Clothes Horse or Yoko Ono pop out another hatchling, we are supposed to care when it boils down to "Woman has baby". The most annoying thing is that between now and his funeral there will be nothing else being discussed on TV and Radio. Its time to avoid both.

I barely ever watch TV aside from on HBO Max, netflix, or online. Radio even less so. Unless it's satellite radio, but they'll say one thing and just move on to something else on most stations. So I don't worry much about people constantly talking about it.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I don't understand the relationship much of England has with the royals.
They are part of the national character: history, tradition, sense of identity. That means a lot to a lot of people.

And besides, they save us from the prospect of someone like Boris Johnson as president.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
They are part of the national character: history, tradition, sense of identity. That means a lot to a lot of people.

And besides, they save us from the prospect of someone like Boris Johnson as president.
The British just in general like the idea of certain people being born better than others. The general populace take it from the Royals sure, but you better believe they think they're better than people born in Asia, Africa, or the new world. The British may not have colonies and an Empire anymore, but they absolutely still believe in being superior to other "lesser" people. If you get the British to admit people aren't born superior, they lose over a thousand years of cultural identity.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The British just in general like the idea of certain people being born better than others. The general populace take it from the Royals sure, but you better believe they think they're better than people born in Asia, Africa, or the new world. The British may not have colonies and an Empire anymore, but they absolutely still believe in being superior to other "lesser" people. If you get the British to admit people aren't born superior, they lose over a thousand years of cultural identity.
Considering how many problems are rooted in our fabricated ideas of "cultural identity" , I don't see losing any of it as a bad thing. It invariably ends up getting blown out of proportion, glorified, glamorized, and eventually weaponized by someone else down the line, to try and push terrible shit onto people. Humanity is too obsessed with it's past, to spend enough proper time worrying about it's present and future.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Guess someone finally found his phylactery.
Yeah I was pretty surprised undead could die of old age, but I guess we have an anonymous hero to thank out there, I wish them the best.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

I don't really identify as British or English, though I am; I just exist. To me it seems a bit mad that people who never knew the guy are crying at the gates of Buckingham Palace.

And I'm irritated by the 'he was a person too though' concept. Because, like, if we went into mourning for all the people who died, we'd be in permanent mourning. Pretty sure a lot of the people making a big deal now are the same people who want us to sink refugees in the channel. Dirty flag-shagging bastards.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Less racism than the USA though, eh?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Ran out of infants blood to inject into his veins

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country

Yoko Ono?

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Less racism than the USA though, eh?
Huh, actually I'd put the UK and US on par for racism, its just the US has more vocal people on both side, pro and against. The UK is generally too polite/repressed to discuss it openly, but I think people of color are well aware white UK looks down upon them.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Huh, actually I'd put the UK and US on par for racism, its just the US has more vocal people on both side, pro and against. The UK is generally too polite/repressed to discuss it openly, but I think people of color are well aware white UK looks down upon them.
Yes, I think racism in the UK is probably more hidden rather than less prevalent.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The British don't really differ from many other countries. Any country that has had its day in the sun has an innate sense of self-importance: France, USA, even China, despite it's centuries-long humbling has a huge sense of its superiority. And the ones that haven't been quite so great still have a keen awareness of their place in the pecking order: name me a country in Europe and the USA where its people don't think themselves better to some extent than people born in Africa, Asia.

Yes, I think racism in the UK is probably more hidden rather than less prevalent.
I'd probably just use the term "different". There are ways that the UK was and is less racist than the USA, but there are ways it was and is more so, too. I would certainly say that the fact it was less racist in certain obvious structural ways also meant it was less inclined to confront its racism.

Last edited: