Prince Phillip dies age 99

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I just hope they can find the original owners of all of his organs. They're probably not doing so hot without them.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I do find it funny though, that the US republican party is apparently swinging back to royalty rule. Seeing how many trumpists actually believe that gahwd is choosing our presidents, and he's been divinely chosen, and all that shit. They think he's an actual king. I mean, that's literally the kind of shit we revolted against back at the founding. And these chucklefucks are bringing it back. Rulership by divine providence. That's democracy in their eyes!! *rolls eyes*
I mean the Democrats did try to go for another Clinton and failed and there is word of a 2nd Obama considering running. Also talk of Meghan running so enjoy that shitshow.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The British just in general like the idea of certain people being born better than others. The general populace take it from the Royals sure, but you better believe they think they're better than people born in Asia, Africa, or the new world. The British may not have colonies and an Empire anymore, but they absolutely still believe in being superior to other "lesser" people. If you get the British to admit people aren't born superior, they lose over a thousand years of cultural identity.
Not really anymore.
It's not "They're born better" the appeal of a class system based on birth is you can have £10 to your family name and a crumbling ancestral home and still be upper class in UK society. In the UK it makes it so the system isn't a constant push for wealth it creates a ceiling as such so money isn't the be all and end all of power. In the USA you social standing is (from what I gather) far more based on your income than your title as such so that push is there as your social position is all about those earnings. But in the UK it pushes the idea far more of peoples worth for what role they have as such.

Considering how many problems are rooted in our fabricated ideas of "cultural identity" , I don't see losing any of it as a bad thing. It invariably ends up getting blown out of proportion, glorified, glamorized, and eventually weaponized by someone else down the line, to try and push terrible shit onto people. Humanity is too obsessed with it's past, to spend enough proper time worrying about it's present and future.
I mean Corbyn at one point was hinting at abolishing the monarchy in the UK which would have been more about symbolically ending part of history too.

Huh, actually I'd put the UK and US on par for racism, its just the US has more vocal people on both side, pro and against. The UK is generally too polite/repressed to discuss it openly, but I think people of color are well aware white UK looks down upon them.
Not really the UK kinda actually got past the point the US had in this whole thing but US politics and culture pushing out globally kinda pushed things back to treating people of different groups different when previously the idea of special different treatment was actually being mocked by said communities.

For the less offensive version

For the more offensive version

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
On the actual subject of his death.

He will be missed and yes he's some old man but looking at what he's done and means really says a lot

He helped create the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme to help young people realise their potential and gain self confidence.
He's also been a constant companion and confidant as such to the Queen. It's worth remembering he was in he Navy and was being tipped to rise the ranks quite quick to become one of the most senior figures. He gave that up when the Queens father died and she had to take the throne. He gave up his career to support the woman he loved and to be beside her to offer that support and they've been together a long time. He also tried to rally the family round when Diana died to help William and Harry and tried to help Diana feel included in the Royal family when she initially joined. I've heard people very much say he's the one who looks after the family side of the Royal Family while the Queen did care for her family but she wasn't a fixer as such she was having to concern herself with "The firm" side of things as such like telling people off for stupid public antics.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I mean the Democrats did try to go for another Clinton and failed and there is word of a 2nd Obama considering running. Also talk of Meghan running so enjoy that shitshow.
I keep waiting for her to bait the hook so badly that SIS just assassinate her.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
We're a nation of idiots is the main thing.
My girlfriend's mother called to talk about it and how sad it was. I tried to remind her that even if he hadn't been a complete stain on society he was 99 and lived a life of unimaginable luxury. How could that ever be considered sad? What more could he possibly get out of life.

You might think you guys are a nation of idiots but they're your royal family. Imagine having to listen to Irish people lament his passing. Even sinn fein made a statement! Don't get me wrong, they didn't have to come out and sing ding dong the Prince is dead, but they could have just said nothing. Racist old toad, who's lived off the work of others for a century dies is not something we have to pretend is a tragedy.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
They are part of the national character: history, tradition, sense of identity. That means a lot to a lot of people.

And besides, they save us from the prospect of someone like Boris Johnson as president.
I mean you don't have to have a president if you don't have a monarch. We do but it's never been a seriously contested position, nobody really cares and we just made a leprechaun president for the optics.

Honestly that could be a good set up for you. You give Johnson a huge desk and no responsibility whatsoever and let him play grown up for 7 years.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You might think you guys are a nation of idiots but they're your royal family. Imagine having to listen to Irish people lament his passing.
Ouch. You win (or perhaps lose) this competition.

I mean you don't have to have a president if you don't have a monarch. We do but it's never been a seriously contested position, nobody really cares and we just made a leprechaun president for the optics.
We have a Governor General in Australia, who fills in for the Queen when she's not doing anything for Australia (which is always, and how it should be). Mostly ceremonial position.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Honestly that could be a good set up for you. You give Johnson a huge desk and no responsibility whatsoever and let him play grown up for 7 years.
He wouldn't take it, though. If you gimp the president to an all but powerless notional figurehead (just like the monarch), all the arseholes you don't want running the country aim for PM.