Prince Phillip dies age 99

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014

Programs such as the finale of Masterchef and EastEnders were cancelled to memorialize the Duke of Edinburgh, and people just lost their minds! I find hilarious how people are going "BBC has gone full Soviet Union!" or "BBC is making a big mistake with its North Korean-style coverage!"; like they didn't expect a freaking Monarchy to memorialize the death of their freaking royalty. Freaking hilarious...

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria

Programs such as the finale of Masterchef and EastEnders were cancelled to memorialize the Duke of Edinburgh, and people just lost their minds! I find hilarious how people are going "BBC has gone full Soviet Union!" or "BBC is making a big mistake with its North Korean-style coverage!"; like they didn't expect a freaking Monarchy to memorialize the death of their freaking royalty. Freaking hilarious...
I was raging when Red Dwarf got taken off the telly after Diana died.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Haven't had a chance to catch the news. Any updates?
He's still dead.

Damn, ninja'd me on that one....granted it was a day ago....but I don't check this thread that often. Not sure why this dead dude warrants 5 pages of comments. Being royal doesn't mean shit. Being a veteran doesn't mean shit, and doesn't exclude you from being an asshole, especially an old asshole from a very racist era. Trust me, I deal with asshole veterans every day. He's dead, it's no surprising, it's not noteworthy, or at least it shouldn't be noteworthy. I look forward to the day the world, and the UK in particular stop giving a shit about royals.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Do they not remember when Diana died? Holy fuck that funeral took up every channel all day for nearly two days. And given what’s available these days, just put fucking Netflix on and ignore the pomp and circumstance if you hate it so much.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Not for lack of effort.
Of course, now the question on everyone's mind is.......When is the queen gonna open the chocolate factory to 5 lucky children?

Sorry, got distracted there. I meant how long do we think Charles has.

Aside from 1 day before the Queen kicks off.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Of course, now the question on everyone's mind is.......When is the queen gonna open to chocolate factory to 5 lucky children?

Sorry, got distracted there. I meant how long do we think Charles has.

Aside from 1 day before the Queen kicks off.
Actually I think she’ll hold one long enough for Charles to either croak himself or be diagnosed with dementia. THEN she’ll pass on so that William can be King.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Actually I think she’ll hold one long enough for Charles to either croak himself or be diagnosed with dementia. THEN she’ll pass on so that William can be King.
Are we putting it past her that Prince Charles might meet with an "unfortunate accident"? Like he accidently hit his head on a candelabra....20 times?

I'm not even sure why I'm contemplating this, really. But if we're still talking about Phillip being dead, I mean, why not?

I made it weird, didn't I?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Ok, I am officially fed up with the constant news coverage of this bloke dying. Its not even as if I go out of my way to find it, its just everywhere.

At least he's got the good grace to have his funeral on Saturday and not hang around forever like the Queen mum or Diana did. Though I do feel slightly ripped off by the fact we're not getting a bank holiday out of it. Come on Royal family, what is the point of you if I don't get a day off when one of you dies?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

I saw some of them freaking out on twitter.

I'm from the UK but I missed most of the stuff because I tend to watch streaming / youtube / on demand programming mostly.

The thing is there's a lot of BBC channels and apparently they suspended all schedules on Friday with BBC one and BBC Two showing mirrored programming about Prince Phillip and BBC 4 just showed a message telling people to go to a major news source. Oh and BBC news 24 likely just covered the news constantly about it.

I have to say it's a bit much to do it across all channels. When Dianna died yes it went on for almost a week but they did try to contain it to just 1 channel at a time across the BBC and they only had 2 back then.

And he never lived to become king.
Not for lack of effort.
I hope you two are trolling here.............

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say it's a bit much to do it across all channels. When Dianna died yes it went on for almost a week but they did try to contain it to just 1 channel at a time across the BBC and they only had 2 back then.
Never underestimate the peasant mentality of this repulsive little country.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
We Americans have been asking that for centuries.

I was making a joke about how he lived to 99 yet didn't make it long enough to gain the crown. If you want to perceive that as mean-spirited, feel free.
Oh you were serious about the joke.............

Ok class is in session. Prince Phillip wouldn't have become King anyway as he's not from he direct bloodline to the throne so under the rules of succession the title will pass to the next blood heir which would be Charles and after him it will be his first blood heir which would be William. To put it in context Phillips claim to the throne was probably so far down the line basically most of the royal family who didn't marry into it would have to be dead for him to have become king and a number of the Queens distant relatives.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
We Americans have been asking that for centuries.

I was making a joke about how he lived to 99 yet didn't make it long enough to gain the crown. If you want to perceive that as mean-spirited, feel free.
Its not mean spirited, just wrong. Philip was married to the Queen, however he is considered Queen’s Consort. Just as Camilla Parker-Bowels would be referred to as King’s Consort if Charles ever becomes King.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Its not mean spirited, just wrong. Philip was married to the Queen, however he is considered Queen’s Consort. Just as Camilla Parker-Bowels would be referred to as King’s Consort if Charles ever becomes King.
I'm not entirely sure with Camilla due to the fact Charles divorced Dianna and remarried it gets weird in how it's counted but from my understanding if Camilla had been his first wife she'd be called Queen but only as long as he was still king. (See Game of Thrones where Cersei was considered Queen Cersi / Queen regent until Joffery took the throne officially but then Margaery marrying Joffery would then mean she was considered Queen Margery).

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Oh you were serious about the joke.............

Ok class is in session. Prince Phillip wouldn't have become King anyway as he's not from he direct bloodline to the throne so under the rules of succession the title will pass to the next blood heir which would be Charles and after him it will be his first blood heir which would be William. To put it in context Phillips claim to the throne was probably so far down the line basically most of the royal family who didn't marry into it would have to be dead for him to have become king and a number of the Queens distant relatives.
You're talking to Americans, none of us care about the rules of succession.