Prince Phillip dies age 99

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧

Shouldn't be so much of a surprise, given his recent illness and age, but this one hit me out of the blue. Feels like the end of an era. Always appreciated his sense of humour, even if it didn't always hit the mark.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I always wondered, if he'd made it to 100, would he have got a telegraph from the queen like all other British centenarians?

Shouldn't be so much of a surprise, given his recent illness and age, but this one hit me out of the blue. Feels like the end of an era. Always appreciated his sense of humour, even if it didn't always hit the mark.
Yes. It is a slightly odd feeling when a lifetime fixture disappears. Otherwise, I'm not any more upset than by any other 99-year-old dying. Condolences to his family.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The discourse on this is strange. Exactly how old did people think he was going to get?

If I wrote on here some of the things he quite cheerfully said in public, I'd be rightly banned.

Reactions: Revnak

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If I wrote on here some of the things he quite cheerfully said in public, I'd be rightly banned.
This.

Also, 127,000 people of his age group or less have died of covid in the UK, 53 today, a lot less of a fuss is being made about them.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I don't understand the relationship much of England has with the royals. Their lives are so far removed from the reality of ours, purely by being born into that family, that they might as well be a different species. It isn't even like when someone is born into a mega-wealthy family, they just have a completely different relationship with the real world than the rest of us. The fact that they age and die the same way we do (and, come on, he'd have died years ago with the level of care the rest of us would get) is about the only thing we have in common.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't understand the relationship much of England has with the royals. Their lives are so far removed from the reality of ours, purely by being born into that family, that they might as well be a different species. It isn't even like when someone is born into a mega-wealthy family, they just have a completely different relationship with the real world than the rest of us. The fact that they age and die the same way we do (and, come on, he'd have died years ago with the level of care the rest of us would get) is about the only thing we have in common.
Humans tend to have an obsession with elevating a select group of their own population, and then, I guess vicariously feel like this elevates them as well. We do it with celebrities, which are basically the secular version of this, without all that "divine right" shit that is built into the concept of royalty.

I'm not English, so I can only speculate, but I assume it's a form of nostalgia for power/grace/divinity/whatever, left over from centuries of cultural conditioning.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
We're a nation of idiots is the main thing.
If it makes you feel better, Australia is a lot like that as well. Got breaking news that he was dead, then for at least 2 hours people repeating that he was dead, that he was 99, than 99 is almost but not quite 100, that 99 is more than most people so most people don't remember a time before him, that the Duke of Edinburgh was connected with the Duke of Edinburgh awards, repeat.

Very annoying as it interrupted Vera, so now I don't know who killed the uni student that had buried his real past and adopted a new one.

Reactions: Kwak

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
We're a nation of idiots is the main thing.
I do find it funny though, that the US republican party is apparently swinging back to royalty rule. Seeing how many trumpists actually believe that gahwd is choosing our presidents, and he's been divinely chosen, and all that shit. They think he's an actual king. I mean, that's literally the kind of shit we revolted against back at the founding. And these chucklefucks are bringing it back. Rulership by divine providence. That's democracy in their eyes!! *rolls eyes*

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Very annoying as it interrupted Vera, so now I don't know who killed the uni student that had buried his real past and adopted a new one.
If that's the British Vera, some of that is filmed in my town.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I do find it funny though, that the US republican party is apparently swinging back to royalty rule. Seeing how many trumpists actually believe that gahwd is choosing our presidents, and he's been divinely chosen, and all that shit. They think he's an actual king. I mean, that's literally the kind of shit we revolted against back at the founding. And these chucklefucks are bringing it back. Rulership by divine providence. That's democracy in their eyes!! *rolls eyes*
That explains why the US is so enamoured of the Imperial system, whereas everyone else has gone metric.

If that's the British Vera, some of that is filmed in my town.
That's the one.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That explains why the US is so enamoured of the Imperial system, whereas everyone else has gone metric.
Sadly, it's more accurate to say it's because of "Murica!! Fuck Yeah!" mentality. And the hubris that everything WE do it better, BECAUSE it's american.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sadly, it's more accurate to say it's because of "Murica!! Fuck Yeah!" mentality. And the hubris that everything WE do it better, BECAUSE it's american.
Well, if you want the boring and true answer. It's more fun to say that Americas who like the Imperial system secretly want to be part of the British Empire again.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I mean, I can see why monarchy could appeal to some people. There's a certainty and security in it. No worries about who should get your vote, or whether they are fit for the job. The monarch was appointed by divine decree, so they must be right for the job. And if said monarch turns out a despotic tyrant, it's not your fault. No pesky guilt over having voted them in. After all, god put them there.

It's all so much simpler and easier, and above all, completely free of all responsibility. You know, like thoughts and prayers.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I mean, I can see why monarchy could appeal to some people. There's a certainty and security in it. No worries about who should get your vote, or whether they are fit for the job. The monarch was appointed by divine decree, so they must be right for the job. And if said monarch turns out a despotic tyrant, it's not your fault. No pesky guilt over having voted them in. After all, god put them there.
Could just not vote Tory though.