Prison Guards Arrest Cat Infiltrator Taped to Makeshift Escape Kit

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Prison Guards Arrest Cat Infiltrator Taped to Makeshift Escape Kit

A cat taped to a saw and cell phone marks an all-time high for prisoner ingenuity and an all-time low for kitties everywhere.

Face it cats, you're good at a lot of things-purring, sleeping, haughtiness, and even keyboards-but deftly breaking hardened criminals out of Brazilian prisons without getting apprehended in the process? Sorry my little feline friends, but I'm afraid not. One such South American cat recently learned that sad truth the hard way when arrested for attempting to smuggle a saw and cell phone past the gates of an Arapiraca prison by innocuously carrying them on its back with tape.

Yes, an ordinary white house cat was found nonchalantly walking toward the cell block taped to not only a saw and cell phone, but also multiple drills, some batteries, a memory card, an earphone and, of course, a wall charger for the aforementioned cell phone.

Currently, all 263 prisoners of Arapiraca are considered suspects in the case, though progress toward nabbing the purrpetrator has been slow. "It's tough to find out who's responsible for the action," explained a prison spokesperson soon after detaining the fluffy smuggler, "as the cat doesn't speak."

While there is zero scientific evidence ruling out the cat itself as the mastermind behind Operation Tape Saw, the prison guards saw fit to pamper it anyway, quickly sending it to an animal disease center for medical treatment.

Source: Yahoo News [http://news.yahoo.com/cat-caught-sneaking-saw-phone-brazil-prison-145407675.html]

Image: Reuters [http://news.yahoo.com/photos/prison-guard-holds-cat-objects-wrapped-around-body-photo-145849711.html]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
""It's tough to find out who's responsible for the action," explained a prison spokesperson soon after detaining the fluffy smuggler, "as the cat doesn't speak.""

You don't say? This is why I'm not a cat person, they're too smart for their own good.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
FelixG said:
In Rio you do not save cat from whirlpool, cat saves you.

Really though, whoever decided to tape these things to the cat needs to get smacked with a bullet.
I can get behind that sentiment quite easily. Although just removing that getup from the cat would likely be as traumatic for the recipient of the kit as it would be for the cat.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I don't know whether to be more amused at such an elaborate and ingenious way to escape prison, or horrified at the thought of getting the tape off the cat. I'm a wuss with bandages, so I couldn't even imagine.

Still, points for the imagination.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I'm not sure if i should laugh at this or not, still it definitely thinking out side the box, and at least who ever is behind the attempted break out doesn't have to worry about the cat 'ratting them out' :D

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
The cat doesn't speak, eh? Must be a hardened stone cold torture veteran. Well played, cat.

Seriously though- did they even try and cover that foil up? TELL me they at least tried to cover all that stuff up.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
It bothered me when I saw this on reddit the way he was holding the cat. And it still bothers me.
Also just found out I can type without looking, albeit slow and with much correction.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
FelixG said:
Ken Sapp said:
FelixG said:
In Rio you do not save cat from whirlpool, cat saves you.

Really though, whoever decided to tape these things to the cat needs to get smacked with a bullet.
I can get behind that sentiment quite easily. Although just removing that getup from the cat would likely be as traumatic for the recipient of the kit as it would be for the cat.
"Prisoner found dead today in Rio after having his throat ripped out by common house cat after prisoner attempted to remove tape packed items from cats midsection."

Man, I have seen a kitten get itself wrapped up in scotch tape one fateful week before christmas while packing presents, I cant even imagine the horror that this cat underwent.

Though as a bonus we got the tape off the cat with surprising ease, one friend holding the kitten while I used an exacto knife very carefully to trim the fur away from the tape a bit at a time an hour later and no damage to feline friend and hair cut to boot!
Same cant be said for my previous cat. One he got a piece of tape stuck to his paw. He tried to lick it off, it was now also stuck to his face.

Things kind of degenerated from there. Especially when my sister thought it would be a good idea to add more tape.

And for the record, he died of bowel cancer a few years later, not of ballistic rage due to tape.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I can't even, what? Gotta give props to the guy who came up with this plan though, a cat wouldn't be expected.

JSF01

Jan 19, 2011
How have they not solved this yet? Obviously it is Selina Kyle behind this.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I can't help but feel this is unrelated to the Escapist. But whatever, I'll play...

Even if it was a cat, how did they expect the cat to just prance around all the way to a cell without it being noticed? How did the cat know where to go? Why not use several rats? Rats in a prison sound more plausible.
Poor cat, though. PETA should be all over stuff like this, not Mario and its furry outfit.

There ya go. Now I made it relevant to the Escapist.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Well, give them credit for the idea at least. Surprised the guy even got the tape on the cat in the first place 0-0

Tiger Sora said:
It bothered me when I saw this on reddit the way he was holding the cat. And it still bothers me.
Same picture as here? It's honestly not that bad. Mind you not IDEAL, but not that bad for people who (most likely) don't know how to restrain cats. I've seen worse. Cat isn't being strangled, legs are being restrained, and there is another person. Odds are they held the cat like that temporarily to show the body. I'm a vet tech and sometimes people think some safe and commonly used techniques and devices are cruel. It's not unusual to grab the legs (he's a bit too low and perhaps could give more support), scruff, or cup the head.