Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: Ep 1 - Breaking The Ice

daemongarso

Nov 27, 2009
I have a small background in improv and acting, and I see two things that killed me the whole time.

1) Nearly everyone makes the "here comes the funny part" face as they are telling an obvious joke or making a reference. It makes the audience groan instead of laugh. So if that is the goal of the series, keep it up. I don't think I saw one real "ah ha" moment where anyone changed or discovered something new, made any non-one dimensional observations or anything. Personally, I love character development. If you put a puzzler and an FPS person in a room, funny things will naturally happen, but they don't have to be forced. Think Seinfeld, George and Krammer are fundamentally different characters with different motivations and those differences naturally created hilarious and sticky situations.
2)You guys look like friends. You look comfortable around each other. Somebody needs to be a dick and just cut stuff that A)isn't funny and B)slows the pacing of the story. Sometimes great ideas aren't great for a particular situation. However, if you guys are only together because of this project and you don't care about each others feelings then I am even more confused. Why did everything make it in and 5-7 minutes of relevant and funny things were -squeezed- into 14+ minutes?

And now I feel like a dick. Let me close by saying that I have hope and see serious potential. Furthermore, I am a lazy ass who sits in front of the computer talking smack and you guys are actually creating something. THAT is awesome.

PS please have everyone read "The Truth in Comedy: the manual of improvisation" by by C Halpern, D Close, K H Johnson. I am only referencing this because I was just stating less eloquently everything these guys do a great job communicating. Seriously, your show as a "Harold" would be mind bendingly amazing.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Why so much uneven microphone quality?!

It's an odd thing to bother me... BUT IT DOES. Three episodes left to make it better.

Gave me a couple of laughs though. Acting slightly improoved. Let's see what you have in store for me PGG.

EDIT: Odd thing to pick up, when was this filmed? Because the reference is to SCI since there are no Firebats in SCII and I sound nerdy even in my head...

loodmoney

Apr 25, 2011
I am liking this. RPG is genius. Also:

"You need to hit the button, it'll give you a question."
"You can hit my buttons aaaahh pushing on my buttons baby...."
STOP HIITING ON ME. HOW MANY DIFFERENT WAYS CAN I SAY IT?
"Alright."

--is totally excellent
Haven't watched the other episodes yet, but if you guys tighten up the script and delivery, I will definitely be watching this show.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Man, RPG is awesome. Also Puzzle is kinda cute :) Also I like Racing's pickup lines they're completely lame but funny

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
That was thouroughly uninteresting. I forced myself to stay until the end so that I had given it a fair chance but after that 15 minutes of boredom, I'm not going to be watching any future installments. I think the highlight of the whole episode was "I usually use X to pick things up". There were no laugh out loud moments, just lots of jokes falling flat either from the painful acting or just generally bad writing. I thought the pilot was ok but this just did not hold my interest at all. I'm glad that other people like it but I cannot see this appealing to me at all. Good luck with the show and I hope you can improve greatly over time.