Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: Pilot

Paul Hearding

Creator of Pro-gamer Gauntlet
Oct 1, 2010
Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: Pilot

Pro-gamer Gauntlet is a business that employs 11 elite gamers, each a master of a different genre. What does this business do? Well, simply put, they are personal trainers...for gamers.

Watch Video

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Eagerly awaiting new episodes.

See Jim, new shows don't give you bad press, bad ones do!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
The crazy eyes bit when he opened the door sold me on this but didn't he say she'd be one of ten? *goes back* Yes he did.

NeuroticDogDad

Apr 28, 2010
Looks interesting. Especially at the end with the parkou- sorry, "Platform" guy playing baseball.

Intrigued as to where the plot (if there is one) is going to go.

Also: "Unofficially the girl in the short-shorts". Nice self-awareness.

Greenansatsu

May 21, 2009
This series looks like it has a lot of potential, I really enjoyed what I saw except for a bit of overacting in places. I am going to have to wait to see where the plot goes, my only hope is that this series has a planned ending, instead of being infinitely episodic.

Cheers on the new series and best of luck. (great casting decisions btw)

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Still waiting for an explanation on why a 'third person shooter' is the 'first person shooter' master.

Oh yeah, and the Retro guy is a bit too over the top for me.

EDIT: Also, unless your filming out in public street with random pedestrians... put some black tape on the end of Lara Crofts guns. The bright orange really kills immersion.

Looking forward to future episodes.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Is it just me, or does the lady who played FPS look like she could be Graham Stark's (of LRR) little sister...

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Interesting concept, this seems like it could turn out to be pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing the next episode.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
I rather liked that actually. Not sure exactly why but hopefully more episodes will convince me!

Butah P

Mar 15, 2011
Other than Retro Guy, it looks to have a lot of promise. His acting is way too over the top.

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
The guy dressed as a king was funny, but that's about it. Tomb Raider isn't an FPS btw.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Not my cup of tea. I also have to agree with Sober Thal that it seems odd to have an iconic TPS character heading up the FPSs.

Sober Thal said:
Still waiting for an explanation on why a 'third person shooter' is the 'first person shooter' master.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Really bad up front, I won't lie. But the stuff during the credits actually made me want to see more, and so I shall look forward to doing so.

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Hungry Donner said:
Not my cup of tea. I also have to agree with Sober Thal that it seems odd to have an iconic TPS character heading up the FPSs.

Sober Thal said:
Yeah, this was brought up when it originally aired in the contest. I hope they answer in the next episode. I'm going to give this another try, I hope it gets better.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Wait how much does the job pay? Are you hiring another pro? Well I need to brush up gaming skill to pro level.

This look like it will be a good show. I will be watching more of this.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I quite liked it. The best line was probably over the credits "don't look at me like that, he kidnaps people."

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Well, after much deliberation in my head we have finally came to a consensus. Welcome to the weekly video line up. Now, more game related comedy and more awesome parkour platform guy.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Really bad up front, I won't lie. But the stuff during the credits actually made me want to see more, and so I shall look forward to doing so.
I wish I had been able to get to the credits. Thought this was awful.

mannaroth

Aug 19, 2009
One of the best series openings I've ever seen on the Escapist!! It was really funny and I was looking forever to find the forum post about this just so I could say how awesome it is.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
Overall, I'm looking forward to it, especially for the horror and RPG masters. Not big on the retro gamer. His acting is way to strong.

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
To make it clear for everyone: We will be releasing our first four episodes here next week and many of the issues that you are bringing up have since been addressed.

We have definitely addressed the Lara Croft costume "issue." It's actually a part of her character development. So, you'll see what's in store and that costume does change by episode 3.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's what helps us make the show better. We are glad to be here on the Escapist and we look forward to producing the best video series that we can.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Good idea and awesome Platform Master. If the acting improves, this will be really interesting.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
This show has some potential, and judging from the post above, they're aware of the things that need to be fixed.

There were a few solid jokes in there, which is a great start. Looking forward to seeing the improvements and changes. Sometimes it takes some time to settle in and find what works. Look at Top 5, for instance.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
I have a hard time understanding what is this though, is it some LARP show or are they going to provide "training" for video games?

EDIT: I am saying this because even the more simple games would require at least ten episodes, if the episodes are at the regular Escapist length of 5-7 minutes. For more complex games time can become a big issue - Day9 does a one-hour long daily show about how to improve at Starcraft and he is at Episode 300. I'm having problems seeing this timeframe available for PgG.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Well. Good idea, RPG master and Platform are almost perfect. Retro master needs to set up his acting slightly he seems great in some shots and than acts unnatural in the others..
Horror seems solid. A better microphone would not hurt on all the actors.

But overall, a very interesting concept. Looking forward to the next show. On what time basis will you be releasing them?

umbraticus

May 4, 2011
not the greatest episode i've seen on the escapist, but i do see great potential in this series!

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Our schedule is going to be as follows:

One full-length episode every 4-6 weeks. Our full-length episodes are ~15 minutes long.

On the weeks that we don't have a full-length episode, we will release a 3-5 minute mini-episode involving some or all of the characters from our show.

Next week, we will be releasing all four of our full-length episodes that we have ready right now. Really, we've come quite a long way from this video. So, hopefully, you all will be pleasantly surprised next week with a lot of content.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Paul Hearding said:
Next week, we will be releasing all four of our full-length episodes that we have ready right now. Really, we've come quite a long way from this video. So, hopefully, you all will be pleasantly surprised next week with a lot of content.
Uh, well, that's nice, as you guys are already mile above Jimquisition and The Show About Game Show, so knowing you get better can only be good news.

This made me laugh, so I'm definitely watching the next one :)

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
now you've done it
i thought to myself... that looks weird let's check it out next week
but then the very last bit... the rpg master badmouthing FF13?
totally destroyed the illusion

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
My my my aren't the escapist starting a lot of new features recently (PS : not a bad thing)

Interesting concept, funny, I like it

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
This was in the Escapist Film Festival this year, wasn't it? Is it replacing Creature Caster Masters? Either way, good stuff and I look forward to the next episode.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
This show has me cautiously optimistic, I hope it can be better than the last few shows that came by here.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Paul Hearding said:

One full-length episode every 4-6 weeks. Our full-length episodes are ~15 minutes long.

On the weeks that we don't have a full-length episode, we will release a 3-5 minute mini-episode involving some or all of the characters from our show.

Please don't tell me you changed Retro. He had me laughing out loud more than any show I've seen on the escapist.

Cheesy overacting (when done correctly, the small glance at the camera kinda bumped me) I can dig. It shows the actors are invested in the idea and don't care who knows.

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
I'm not a huge fan of the chick, but the rest of the cast looks like it has potential for hilarity.

ConnorCool

Master Assassin
Apr 23, 2009
Looking forward to more, very good.
Only thing that bugged me was the Intro tune, why does every game related show recently have an 8-bit style theme? I get it, but its begging to become unoriginal.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Adequate. I wasn't exactly entertained, but it could go somewhere good once everybody gets settled into their characters and some plot gets underway. Short-shorts needs some stage presence though.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Excellent. I remember seeing this in the video contest and quite enjoyed it. Great to see it getting a full run. :)

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
itf cho said:
Is it just me, or does the lady who played FPS look like she could be Graham Stark's (of LRR) little sister...
Nah, she looks nothing like Kate.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the viewer's choice from the film festival back on the site. Good on the staff for hiring you guys!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
This seems promising. I wonder what The FPS Mistress's mission will be.
Also I wonder what The CEO is like.
Oh, ya and who was the first FPS master?

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Intriguing. Definitely gonna give this one a few weeks to see where it goes.

Archmike

Oooglybooglyboo!
Sep 9, 2008
That was really awesome! Keep it up!

Ignore the "that was crap" brigade. Unless they give constructive criticism it's not worth reading. You guys have a decent set up here, I personally cant wait for next week :D

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Well, it's more promising than any show on the Escapist lately, but that's not saying much. I did like some of the jokes (the patching one in particular), it shows potential. Could go either way, since it wasn't a great episode by any means, but there's potential there all right.

I'll definitely check back on it.

MrDefo

Jun 7, 2010
I'm not exactly sure what the premise of this show is. It looks promising, but I hope things become clearer with the next episode.

eafkuor

Nov 2, 2010
I don't understand the people saying it wasn't funny enough. What do you want, just joke after joke after joke?
They were trying to introduce the characters and the concept here, and given the show's complexity I'm amazed they were able to do it in just 5 minutes.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
rpg reminds me of brian blessed.
still its good and i want to see more of these ''gaming masters''.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Random, silly, way over the top... perfect for geek television.
Considerably better than Jimquisition in both production value and entertainment. Any more new shows lined up?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Waaait a minute. This was in the film festival and got an honorable mention. It was my favourite of the entire festival, so I'm very happy to see it here, but I can't help but wonder how it got here??
Anyhow, now that you are on the payroll (I assume) that means you are vulnerable to constructive criticism, so here goes. Loved the script and can really see this show moving forward, a lot of story potential. But your performance needs work. The guy seriously over-acted, it felt like he rehearsed every line a few thousand times and performed it as quickly as he could to get it over with. I could tell, cuz that's the way I imagine I'd act in front of a camera. When I watch it, I'm very much aware that I'm watching actors trying to read lines, I'm not engrossed in the world at all, there's no immersion. I didn't see enough of the others to make any other comments. But regardless of a few minor setbacks, I very much enjoyed it, again, my favourite of the festival. I'm only saying this to help, you did say you wanted constructive criticism and these are things to consider.

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Not getting a first impression. Especially when your "FPS Master" looks like Lara Croft when she hasn't even been in a single FPS game or situation. So umm bad costume choice there.

Retro gamer as they have said is way over the top to the point where it was bad and not corny or funny. You needed a straight man and there was no straight man or actors that run the business to make the quirky "masters" stand out to be hilarious. Instead it was the other way around and it made it look strange because you essentially had the person who is supposed to love FPS games only quirk be pull out a toy gun on Retro. While you had Retro be all quirky and anti-sociable yet he was supposed to be part of the backbone and experienced member of the group.

The script didn't help pick a role for Retro at all. One moment he was quirky and then small moments of straight man and it never works that way. Retro would be PERFECT for the straight man because he is meant to be the experienced one of the group of old games where he has a foundation and familiarity of all the masters where he can manage them.

Anyway just a critique of mine. Take it for what you will.

AnneSQF

Sep 22, 2009
Yay! I love new shows and this one looks promising.
I can't wait until next week or when ever the 2nd episode airs.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Country
United States
The patch bit was pretty funny, and to be honest, this was a lot better than what I thought it would be. Since the FPS master's costume will be explained, I will not comment on it, but so far I think it's pretty good.

I am intrigued.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
Nice idea, average acting.
I like the Retro Master actor. He did it acceptably.
I used to find these things okay and normal, but then I saw something like Smosh, and I demand BETTER QUALITY.
But well done!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
*blink* *blink*

Er... Not that I'm sorry to see this or anything (it was one of the entries I rather liked in the Escapist Film Festival) but the rate at which new series are coming and going lately is a little disturbing.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
O gratz for getting picked up by the escaptist! man those short film contests are great, even if you don't win there is still the chance you'll get picked up in the end as the winners fall through with their contractual obligations :D

looking forward to seeing a new episode

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
That wasn't too bad. Not totally impressed, but it's a step up from Jim. The Platformer "patching" the wall hack made me giggle. The RPG master bit was pretty good too, for the most part. A bit of the comedy fell short for me, and came across as very awkward and not well written or delivered, but that's just my personal taste coming into play. I'd like to see how you guys improve as you move forward. I'm intrigued, but not yet impressed.

Verok

Jun 3, 2009
Nice to see you guys have a show on here now. I have watched you guys since you made a post on the Pure Pwnage forums and tried to make a spin off. I would like to say that your new series has a lot more potential and i hope you get a good long running series.

Gilgamesh00

Nov 22, 2008
Awesome new series! Looking forward for the next episodes. Tuesday is it?... *writes mental note*

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Oh, you did some editing :D

(I've already watched the later episodes. Aren't I special?)

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Haha, I've already seen this at ScrewAttack =P Still, it's a fun video series and I enjoy it! Glad to see it getting some more publicity.

Sleepingzombie

Dec 7, 2009
I like. The perfromance of the man who opened the door (with the crasy eyes) sold me, and the "king". i will be watching future episodes, with interest.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
I am looking forward to see more. It looks much better than "Show About Games Show." Will be interesting to see it all fleshed out.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
I love the retro guy. His crazy eyes and intense over acting reminded me of a buddy from high school. Funny as hell.

danhere

Apr 5, 2010
"Rough neighborhood," huh?

It'd be funnier if you had like 3 more locks at the 4:10 mark. :s

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I think this show's got potential. I'd like to see the next episode for sure.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
That was surprisingly hilarious! I can already tell that the RPG Master is gonna be one of my favorite characters! I'm excited for more!

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Interesting...?
Good premise I think, but execution has a long way to go.
Why is most video game comedy really damn awkward?

The little "patched" part was pretty funny.

On the plus side, that trailer for The First Templar felt so low-budget that this looked better by comparison.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Eh, I'll watch next week's and see if it's any better. It has potential, but this episode wasn't funny or entertaining at all, in my opinion.

In the future, be sure to put more jokes in there. The plot isn't interesting enough to survive on its own for longer than 20-30 seconds.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I don't know......I din't laugh one time. Maybe I'm degeeking and I just don't get it anymore? I'm just really sad we lost Lisa Foiles and got....this. Comedy doesn't seem on par and this has a whole team behind it.

I'm not convinced I'll follow this.

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming. The plot hasn't even kicked off yet, so no worries. There is a lot of writing behind the actual episodes. This is just the 5-minute pilot we managed to throw together for the film festival.

Caramel Frappe said:
..Whow. First time I ever heard the producer actually 'offering' to improve the series due to reading comments
We have always been open with our viewers. The viewers are the reason that shows exist in the first place and we make a point to emphasize the importance of your feedback to our project. There doesn't have to be a huge divide between content creators and the viewers.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I think this was great, especially the retro and rpg guys, I'm looking forward to see more of this.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
This looks amusing; The production could be improved and the line reads could be better but I'll keep watching to see how it goes.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Just when I thought Escapist couldn't get more addicting...

Damn it you people, quit making my day less productive!

Brinnmilo

Mar 18, 2009
Not too keen on Ms Croft, the pulling the gun thing at the beginning with the "cold" look in her eyes made me cringe so much, also the bit regarding a "severance package". HOW EVER on the whole I liked it and am looking forward to more, but I also like the Jimquisition so apparently I'm crazy.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Took me back to babysitting my cousin seven or so years ago.
"Do ten Raging Demons in a row, then I'll make us lunch."
Now he's a better Akuma player than I am, so yeah...

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Haven't been a fan of some of the more recent additions video-wise, but this, I like this. I really like this. A new favorite is born.

"Where is your helmet? Why have you not yet equipped it!"

Thespian42

Apr 5, 2009
The writing and the casting are both pretty solid, and the overall concept works. The acting could use a bit of work, but that'll come with time.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
The only redeeming quality of this was the RPG 'Master'.

It might be because it's in it's earliest stages as of now, but this just didn't hit any of the right spots with me.

I'm starting to wonder where the Escapist keeps finding all these people and more than that, why they're seemingly so eager to throw money at them...

This makes the 3rd possibly 4th new show in a row that I've just not wanted to watch past the pilot.

As usual though, I will, if only to give it a chance.
Something that so far only Jim has managed to make me go back on...

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Loving it so far. :) I see this has real potential. Let's just hope it's not another Good Knight's Quest.
Yeah, I went there...

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
I'm 50-50 after that episode. There was some good bits and potential. With your next few episodes I'll be sure to watch and hopefully I'll be won over. This one was ok, but nothing to write home about.

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Nice show!

Looks like fun. I hope they film her task based movements FPS style.
like the DOOM movie.

Phlakes

+15 Dagger of Socks
Mar 25, 2010
I actually liked it. Quite a bit. Although the best part was that last line from RPG master in the credits-

"Letting T-money be a gaming master is like letting Final Fantasy XIII get published. It should have never happened. ...But here we are. Screwed."

Now I have something to improve my Tuesdays which, if you followed the recent thread about it, is people's least favorite day of the week.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Paul Hearding said:

Woah. Now this impressed me. Very nicely release schedule although I'm a bit worried about the second part. Even though it would be unbelievably awesome you do not want to shoot too high at the start mainly because people will get used to such sudden burst of good content and will whine to you about not releasing as much.

Still, if you can pull it off. This is getting more and more interesting, first live "Story" type show that might do release schedule right.

SteelShark

Jun 24, 2010
I really don't mean any offense by this but can you guys please learn to act better before you make more of these. I just really think it would be a waste to make more with none of them being enjoyable.

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
lordlillen said:
rpg reminds me of brian blessed.
still its good and i want to see more of these ''gaming masters''.
Brian Blessed is the PERFECT role model for RPG Master.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Yup, as i said it when i first saw it, : i want more.
Well, i think i said that, but that was a long time ago so i can't be sure, okay?!
Anyways, the RPG master is just so damn classy, you can't beat it.
Really looking forward to the next episode.
Also, damn. The Escapist is getting a lot of different stuff (mostly very good, some not so...). Cool.
Also, as i just read, we'll be getting four full-length videos at once? Pretty epic. R

really looking forward to it, and having high hopes! Please don't break 'em :D!

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
Caught my attention. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next.

And I totally agree with RPG master: FF XIII never should have happened

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
I normally don't care for new series, but this, was awesome.

Looking forward to many more.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
o_O The only thing that stuck to my mind is: "Whoa, she gotta gun" which reminded me of that scene in Falling Down.

"...I don't want lunch. I want breakfast."
"Well hey, I'm really sorry."
"Yeah...well...I'm sorry too."
"He's got a gun!"

Flutterbrave

Dec 10, 2009
Should I be the party pooper who remembers the Zelda thread from a while back where it was summarily pointed out that Zelda is NOT an RPG?

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
Wait, is this taking over the internet. First your own website, then Screwattack, now this. It's official, PGG is taking over the web.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
I like it, I like it alot :)

Acting and filming a bit rough around the edges, but I look forward to this show :D

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Paul Hearding said:
We have definitely addressed the Lara Croft costume "issue." It's actually a part of her character development. So, you'll see what's in store and that costume does change by episode 3.
Admit it, she's gonna hook up with puzzler, then start wearing an orange jumpsuit/Aperture science tank top.

KiraTaureLor

Mar 27, 2011
I like the horror games master, and the rpg games master, their acting and line was priceless. Oh, and I can't tell weather this is a legitimate business or just a show. I mean are they actually the best of the best, or just decent gamers that are acting like masters.

constantcompile

Sep 9, 2010
What the hell was this?

When I saw the premise, I was excited. The perspective of 11 gamers from 11 different genres? Sign me up. Instead, awkward unfunny skits with one-bit characters.

Between this and Jimquisition, it really seems like The Escapist is having a rough time finding new content. Surely there can be food for thought in videogames beyond making them (Extra Credits) and reviewing them (Zero Punctuation). Why not get a pro gamer to actually talk about playing games, rather than making unsubtle pop-culture references?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Hey, I remember this. Great concept... less than great execution. Still I'm eager to see what they'll bring to the table, and what sort of adventures will befall Girl in Short Shorts.

Retro Master pulls the 'innappriately excited' thing perfectly.

...Hey, this doesn't mean 'Show About Games Show' is done for, is it? I shall display my sorrow through a large emoticon, do notice that more underlines mean more sorrow: T______________________T

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Penguinplayer said:
The guy getting "patched".

That made my day.
Same here... Never knew they sold aimbots and hacks in the back alleys...
Only in America I guess...

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Um.. Does the logo remind anyone else of the Pure Pwnage logo at all..? Seems awfully familiar..

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
Not confident in the writing. Might tune in again at episode 30 or so to see how things have changed and improved. Acting and pacing could use a lot of work, too. I'm unmoved.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
The concept is great - the RPG Master chewing the scenery is wonderful, but the rest of the jokes would be substantially improved by tighter editing. For example, the ending "Rough neighborhood" line is about a three-second joke that goes on for over ten seconds.

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
I didn't really know what to think, its a bit over the top, the concept is questionable. Although, like many people have said, it has potential and it'll be interesting to see where it goes next. Good luck I guess.

On a different note, I believe that more shows should be scouted for there considerable previous success (e.g. LRR, Yahtze and the like). The film festivals produce about one in three good shows. Doomsday Arcade is the only great one I can think of at the moment, though there might be others.

CygnusMal

Sep 19, 2010
I have to be honest, that was painful to watch. I think there's an interesting premise in there somewhere, but it just felt like gamer-culture reference or stereotype after another with out really much of a point or punchline. Oh look a Zelda reference! Oooh an achievement unlocked! That character is dressed like Lara Croft (which isn't an FPS by the way)! But why?

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Well, that was fun o.o

Although I have to admit I'm not quite sure if the girl was actually signed on in the end or not >.>

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Thanks for all the awesome feedback! We are glad to be here on the Escapist.

This is a very plot-driven series which you all will have the opportunity to dive into next week! It wasn't quite clear in the pilot, but we do have 12 main characters each of which is very unique. So for those of you who like plot and character development (as well as comedy) you're in for a treat!

caladors

Mar 17, 2011
I loved the RPG master at the end "It's like letting FF13 be published, it should have never happened" I don't hate the game or the FF series it was just the way he said it.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
Butah P said:
Other than Retro Guy, it looks to have a lot of promise. His acting is way too over the top.
But this show isn't meant to be that serious (it ain't Lord of The Rings). On that note- I think everyone else is under-acting, and he seems to be the only one enthusiastic about being in the show.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Can't wait for the future videos. For some reason the video took FOREVER to load, and I've never had the same problem with any other videos :/. Kinda slow at the beginning but definitely shows tons of potential.

tristan_n

Sep 29, 2010
I've gotten to see some of PgG's upcoming episodes, and so I can honestly say the Escapist is in for a treat. The charm stays intact, but the comedy gets tighter - and he's got big plans for the story arc. So really, this is no lightweight new series entry - it's gonna be boffo with extra drizzles of boffo sauce.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I remember this one from the Video contest, and I enjoyed it then and enjoyed it again now. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of this series.

Captcha: first tioretie

I guess "tioretie" means "Episode" or "Webisode" in Captcha-land.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
SIXVI06-M said:
But this show isn't meant to be that serious (it ain't Lord of The Rings). On that note- I think everyone else is under-acting, and he seems to be the only one enthusiastic about being in the show.
It's a bit out of place is the point. He's not really acting like a retro gamer, who I imagine would be more like Comic Book Guy from the simpsons. It'd be like having Patrick Stweard in a Transformers movie, in full Picard mode, complete with a Picard Speech among the idiots, douchebags, and the two ni... ebonics-bots.

Tower 87

Oct 14, 2010
Paul Hearding said:
We have always been open with our viewers. The viewers are the reason that shows exist in the first place and we make a point to emphasize the importance of your feedback to our project. There doesn't have to be a huge divide between content creators and the viewers.
Haven't you guys already made the first 4 (5 including the pilot) episodes? as well as the mini "ask a master" segments over at http://www.progamergauntlet.com? How are you going to incorporate feed back if you have already made the show? or are you starting new just for the escapist?

MNRA

Jun 8, 2009
Greenansatsu said:
This series looks like it has a lot of potential, I really enjoyed what I saw except for a bit of overacting in places. I am going to have to wait to see where the plot goes, my only hope is that this series has a planned ending, instead of being infinitely episodic.

Cheers on the new series and best of luck. (great casting decisions btw)
Seconded. Instead of writing my own thoughts I'll just quote this person. It's roughly how I feel.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
The Random One said:
...Hey, this doesn't mean 'Show About Games Show' is done for, is it? I shall display my sorrow through a large emoticon, do notice that more underlines mean more sorrow: T______________________T
If I had to guess, sense it's not on the new vid scroller, that more likely this is a replacement for Creature Caster Master,

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
This COULD be awesome. But I agree with the random poster #4, retro guy was a bit overacting.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
In a dictionary, the definition of nerdasm is this video.
I love the reference mixing. Its hard to pic favorite parts when all are so good. I personally favored the "sandstorm" and "Youve been Patched" parts.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
OniaPL said:
This COULD be awesome. But I agree with the random poster #4, retro guy was a bit overacting.
I think it is part of the character. That he is kinda fakish. Consider the part when he is freaking out about the first FPS person then on the phone instantly goes back to overly cheery.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Saelune said:
I think it is part of the character. That he is kinda fakish. Consider the part when he is freaking out about the first FPS person then on the phone instantly goes back to overly cheery.
I understand that. But I felt like the show failed a bit in bringing the "real" retro guy alive. No problem with the overly cheery marketing/business mode.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
THis looks AWESOME

maybe

Well not as awesome as Pure Pwnage
but still awesome

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
This is... not funny to me in the slightest. I'm sorry, it seems that you guys worked really hard on this, but this just isn't working out. Maybe I'm being overly harsh, after all pilot episodes are usually saddled with having to explain the concept in question. Maybe when we get into some actual scenarios next week the show will be funnier. However, I'm not holding my breath on that.

Shorty11857

Oct 4, 2010
Good concept and definitely a lot of potential even if some parts felt a bit off. Made me laugh though so I'll definitely keep watching

Jimtopia

Slaving away over a hot laptop.
Oct 3, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
If I had to guess, sense it's not on the new vid scroller, that more likely this is a replacement for Creature Caster Master,
Your guess would be incorrect sir. ;) http://jimtopia.tumblr.com/post/5158616949/creature-caster-masters-status

More on-topic, I'm glad to see you guys did end up getting picked up by The Escapist, you really took a lot of time with your series and it shows, I'll definitely be checking these out, and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

eNTi

Sep 8, 2007
how is it, that the quality of some escapist videos is so much lower than those of others? i mean, how cheesy can you get? please, stop trying to be college humour, WHICH TOO SUCKS 9/10, and do the things you do best. you're not actors at any rate. actually all of your episodes with real people acting are absolutely atrocious.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
intriguing. the acting is..painful, but im looking forward to where they go with this

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'm liking it. One of the better shows to have come out of the escapist in a while. Glad this one made it past the pilot contest last year.

Kavachi

Sep 18, 2009
vivster said:
now you've done it
Are you implying that the Master of RPG's should be liking the horrible game that is FF13? Any RPG-fan can see how that game was utterly rubbish :S

OT: I have mixed feelings about this show right now, so we'll see where this goes :D

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
The random throwawy scenes, and the stuff in the credits, were genuinely funny, whereas the humour of the main story seemed somewhat forced. Perhaps a little more of the former, and this show could be damn well worth watching.

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
I was skeptical at first, but the more I watched the more it...drew me in...I laughed at parts which was nice :D

Jackle_666

Feb 23, 2010
Going to show not all pilots have to be disasters, I can't wait for more and to talk to those characters more.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
This wasn't hilarious but it seems like it could be good if given some time to develop and I did actually laugh at several points in the video (which is more than I can say for some other shows we've had here on the Escapist). I look forward to episode 2.

Verrenxnon

Nov 17, 2009
I'd find the concept sound were it not just a tweaking of existing videogame-saluting shows. All this really does is reference and stand on the shoulders of video games without being anything particularly unique and interesting.

Given the documentary, I was hoping for a really interesting documentary.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
itf cho said:
His little sister looks different. Or was that Kathleen's little sister? Its like 3 episodes back on phailhaus.

Adventure master was clearly the best because he has a crown.

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Acting is a bit stilted.

It reminds me a little of Doomsday Arcade. I'll with-hold judgement, but I'm not overwhelmed

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
I Like where this is going. So,if the regal looking guy is the RPG master, who's the JRPG master?

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Paul Hearding said:
Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: Pilot

Pro-gamer Gauntlet is a business that employs 11 elite gamers, each a master of a different genre. What does this business do? Well, simply put, they are personal trainers...for gamers.

Watch Video
Hmm....Curious. From seeing this,I say you guys got a bright future here. Heh. Good point. Who DOES read it anymore?

zeda12123

Aug 29, 2009
I'll b ehonest, It's pretty funny and I'm looking forward to more.
The acting could use some work and the comedy plot-wise seems strained but over all this was only a pilot, so I'm hopin' things will improve!

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Awesome, I remember this from the contest, looking forward to more!

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
Kavachi said:
vivster said:
now you've done it
Are you implying that the Master of RPG's should be liking the horrible game that is FF13? Any RPG-fan can see how that game was utterly rubbish :S

OT: I have mixed feelings about this show right now, so we'll see where this goes :D
i am saying that a neutral gamer will see the merits of the game that stand out against many other games
while trolls will pretty much repeat what every other troll is trolling since the release of the game

you know what's utterly rubbish?
to call a game with a score of 85% from 59 different reviews utterly rubbish
a game that is being praised by several well established western reviewers
yeah but why the hell care about stuff that professionals tell you
it's much easier to copy and paste what any troll on this planet already said

god i love this earth

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
vivster said:
Kavachi said:
vivster said:
now you've done it

i am saying that a neutral gamer will see the merits of the game that stand out against many other games
while trolls will pretty much repeat what every other troll is trolling since the release of the game

god i love this earth
It wouldn't be a huge stretch to assume an "RPG" master is a "hardcore" gamer.

FF13 is like a casual FF game. Just because a game is rated well, doesn't mean a 'hardcore' player would like it. The assumption that a hardcore gamer could be neutral is laughable.

The fact you would take this trivial issue as a reason to hate the entire planet indicates to me that YOU are not neutral. I'd go as far as to suggest fanboyism, but I better not.

GamerMage said:
stinkychops said:
Acting is a bit stilted.

It reminds me a little of Doomsday Arcade. I'll with-hold judgement, but I'm not overwhelmed
That's why I liked it.
The Doomsday Arcade nostalgia or the stilted acting? :p

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
stinkychops said:
vivster said:
Kavachi said:
vivster said:
now you've done it

god i love this earth

FF13 is like a casual FF game. Just because a game is rated well, doesn't mean a 'hardcore' player would like it. The assumption that a hardcore gamer could be neutral is laughable.

The fact you would take this trivial issue as a reason to hate the entire planet indicates to me that YOU are not neutral. I'd go as far as to suggest fanboyism, but I better not.
i really hope you're just trolling with this
the fact alone that you divide between hardcore and casual rpgs is ridiculous

and then your last sentence?
who said i'm hating all people because of this single comment?
my hate for all people goes way back
things like that stupidity just keep piling up and reminding me of the misery
and thanks to you i won't forget about it today either

i love this earth

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
vivster said:
stinkychops said:
vivster said:
Kavachi said:
vivster said:
now you've done it

god i love this earth

i really hope you're just trolling with this
the fact alone that you divide between hardcore and casual rpgs is ridiculous

and then your last sentence?
who said i'm hating all people because of this single comment?
my hate for all people goes way back
things like that stupidity just keep piling up and reminding me of the misery
and thanks to you i won't forget about it today either

i love this earth
You have such a hard life.

People forming opinions that differ to your own? WHAT IDIOTS!

I'm glad that variety isn't the spice of life.

On a non-sarcastic note, I've always found that misanthropy was a sign of immaturity and lack of perspective. Theres this great theory called "the least assholes theory". Basically, you assume the right perspective on a situation is the one with the least assholes in it. Are you the problem or is EVERYONE else?

I enjoy the fact that you didn;t actually comment on anything I wrote, and just called me a troll and insinuated that I'm an idiot. Mad props for that attempt at weasling bro.

Are you honestly telling me that there aren't separate hardcore and casual gaming demographics within RPGs?

gardyna

Jun 7, 2010
Paul Hearding said:
To make it clear for everyone: We will be releasing our first four episodes here next week and many of the issues that you are bringing up have since been addressed.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's what helps us make the show better. We are glad to be here on the Escapist and we look forward to producing the best video series that we can.
awesome to see PGG on the Escapist but I thought you guys and Screwattack had some kind of a deal or something(the first four episodes are there at least)

anyways love the series RPG is probably my favorite couse he's an unpredictable deuchbag. he's the character I love to hate and the series itself remins me of the office in a way

Kavachi

Sep 18, 2009
vivster said:
Kavachi said:
vivster said:
now you've done it

god i love this earth
It smells like fanboys in here.....

Also, most reviews should not be trusted, because it is hard to stay objective when you want to keep your job without many game studios out for your blood. Also, implying game reviewers are "proffesional". There are almost no proffesional reviewers, and any gamer can review. Also, with trolls you might be refering to the actual gamers that played FF13, that are actually not under any pressure to falsely praise a rubbish game because they fear their job.

Just sayin'

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Looks good so far.

I enjoy seeing these sorts of things as I don't get to play any games these days.

It is good to see the FPS master being someone different than you would expect.

As an aside, I also remember seeing Counterstrike being used in a story about hostage kidnapping in Iraq down to the "the hostage has been rescued" and this was on the government broadcaster you would not expect to do something like that. Don't know if it is online though.

samonix

Nov 17, 2009
nice concept, bad acting, sloppy effects, and that final fantasy line... really? that joke's still funny to people?

CosmoK

Oct 25, 2009
"I will make a man out of you... if it's the last thing you do..."

Hehe.

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
I want to see more of RPG Master, thought I didn't like what he said about Final Fantasy XIII, but then again, I'm part of the small group of people that think that game was good and isn't afraid to say it. Oh, alto the Terror Master.

But... Puzzle, RTS, RPG, Terror, Platform, FPS, Retro, Fighting... Am I missing someone? Because I don't think we have seen 11 masters.

restoshammyman

Jan 5, 2009
was the creature caster master guy fired?
and then they just moved to the next guy on the film festival list?

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
Sperium 3000 said:
But... Puzzle, RTS, RPG, Terror, Platform, FPS, Retro, Fighting... Am I missing someone? Because I don't think we have seen 11 masters.
The 11 are:
Puzzle
Retro
FPS
RPG
Horror
Platform
RTS
Fighting
Racing
MMO
Sports

Paul Hearding

Oct 1, 2010
{Edit} Double post. Sorry. So, I might as well make it productive...

There's also a 12th main character that will be introduced in Episode 1.

Zearus

Nov 2, 2010
Sperium 3000 said:
Racing, MMO and Sports

SIR DOOM

Nov 30, 2009
Ya know. I felt like a certain amount of the "cheesiness" of the retro master fit the character. I enjoyed it all for what it was. Looking forward to the next installment.

omega 616

May 1, 2009
Besides seeming a little too low budget (nice bright orange tip on a gun you have there) and the Retro guy laying the cheese on pretty thick, it was pretty good.

I would have changed the guns for BB guns atleast, they look real while being alot safer than a real gun.

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
Makes sense that Retro Master as cheesy acting skills, because retro games are all about that. Also, wouldn't make sense to have a Shooter/Shooting Master insteado of FPS? Because not every shooter is in first person, you know.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
Certainly my cup of tea, and I hope to hear more from the RPG master, we seem to be on the same Wave Length... "It should have never happened, but here we are, screwed."

Dodgeboyuk

Jul 25, 2010
well for the first person shooters first job my guess would be
getting a total nOOb to LEAD his targets with certain weapons!
or teaching a nOOb to use the Commo-Rose correctly(like enemy boat spotted on dry land ROFL!)

EXAMPLE BELOW:
when i play bf2142 and i try to shoot down a transport with a pilum the first thing i do is predict two/three possabale paths with red lines drawn in my mind!

the next thing is harder judge the speed and rate of assent/decent

then pick a point on the red line to get the kill make adjustments on the go and fire so the shell arrives when the enemy is also arriving at that point
its a simular deal with using tanks to shoot down transports

J.J

Aug 24, 2009
Pilot had me laughing pretty good. I'm excited for the next 4 episodes (if I read an earlier post correctly).

Not sure what to make of the Retro master quite yet, as wacky would make sense that a lot of the old school games were indeed silly. But once he really sits into his character/I can grasp what kind of character he is, I think this series will be pretty solid.

I'm hyped :) Good stuff!

The Moehlinator

Mar 25, 2011
Ha, I liked it. Really, I am pretty full up on opinion pieces. I mean, we have so many intelligent, sarcastic, cynical, witty, inspiring, and sometimes depressing articles/videos concerning what is happening to gaming today, where the industry is headed, what games where crap and which ones where 'must have'....I could go for some light, nerdy humor. Thumbs up.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
Kinda funny but also kinda dumb. I'm interested to see what they have to offer in future episodes.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Before a lazy Sunday let me watch it I thought it was a real life serious people teaching others to play games, but that was awesome. Can't wait for the next one.

"Where is your helm? Why have you not equipped it? *Kicks sand in face*

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
That black dude was hillarious! He made the whole episode for me :D
He should have been the combat trainer tho....why did you guys have to put that weird white guy X_X He looks like he gets his ass kicked alot not the other way around X_X