Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: Pilot

KiraTaureLor

Mar 27, 2011
I like the horror games master, and the rpg games master, their acting and line was priceless. Oh, and I can't tell weather this is a legitimate business or just a show. I mean are they actually the best of the best, or just decent gamers that are acting like masters.

constantcompile

Sep 9, 2010
What the hell was this?

When I saw the premise, I was excited. The perspective of 11 gamers from 11 different genres? Sign me up. Instead, awkward unfunny skits with one-bit characters.

Between this and Jimquisition, it really seems like The Escapist is having a rough time finding new content. Surely there can be food for thought in videogames beyond making them (Extra Credits) and reviewing them (Zero Punctuation). Why not get a pro gamer to actually talk about playing games, rather than making unsubtle pop-culture references?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Hey, I remember this. Great concept... less than great execution. Still I'm eager to see what they'll bring to the table, and what sort of adventures will befall Girl in Short Shorts.

Retro Master pulls the 'innappriately excited' thing perfectly.

...Hey, this doesn't mean 'Show About Games Show' is done for, is it? I shall display my sorrow through a large emoticon, do notice that more underlines mean more sorrow: T______________________T

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Um.. Does the logo remind anyone else of the Pure Pwnage logo at all..? Seems awfully familiar..

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
Not confident in the writing. Might tune in again at episode 30 or so to see how things have changed and improved. Acting and pacing could use a lot of work, too. I'm unmoved.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
The concept is great - the RPG Master chewing the scenery is wonderful, but the rest of the jokes would be substantially improved by tighter editing. For example, the ending "Rough neighborhood" line is about a three-second joke that goes on for over ten seconds.

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
I didn't really know what to think, its a bit over the top, the concept is questionable. Although, like many people have said, it has potential and it'll be interesting to see where it goes next. Good luck I guess.

On a different note, I believe that more shows should be scouted for there considerable previous success (e.g. LRR, Yahtze and the like). The film festivals produce about one in three good shows. Doomsday Arcade is the only great one I can think of at the moment, though there might be others.

CygnusMal

Sep 19, 2010
I have to be honest, that was painful to watch. I think there's an interesting premise in there somewhere, but it just felt like gamer-culture reference or stereotype after another with out really much of a point or punchline. Oh look a Zelda reference! Oooh an achievement unlocked! That character is dressed like Lara Croft (which isn't an FPS by the way)! But why?

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Well, that was fun o.o

Although I have to admit I'm not quite sure if the girl was actually signed on in the end or not >.>

Paul Hearding

Creator of Pro-gamer Gauntlet
Oct 1, 2010
Thanks for all the awesome feedback! We are glad to be here on the Escapist.

This is a very plot-driven series which you all will have the opportunity to dive into next week! It wasn't quite clear in the pilot, but we do have 12 main characters each of which is very unique. So for those of you who like plot and character development (as well as comedy) you're in for a treat!

caladors

Mar 17, 2011
I loved the RPG master at the end "It's like letting FF13 be published, it should have never happened" I don't hate the game or the FF series it was just the way he said it.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
Butah P said:
Other than Retro Guy, it looks to have a lot of promise. His acting is way too over the top.
But this show isn't meant to be that serious (it ain't Lord of The Rings). On that note- I think everyone else is under-acting, and he seems to be the only one enthusiastic about being in the show.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Can't wait for the future videos. For some reason the video took FOREVER to load, and I've never had the same problem with any other videos :/. Kinda slow at the beginning but definitely shows tons of potential.

tristan_n

Sep 29, 2010
I've gotten to see some of PgG's upcoming episodes, and so I can honestly say the Escapist is in for a treat. The charm stays intact, but the comedy gets tighter - and he's got big plans for the story arc. So really, this is no lightweight new series entry - it's gonna be boffo with extra drizzles of boffo sauce.