Producer Explains Why NieR: Automata Will Not Release on Xbox One

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Producer Explains Why NieR: Automata Will Not Release on Xbox One

Square Enix also releases new trailer showcasing weapons and combat.

The release for NieR: Automata is fast approaching, and Square Enix has released a new trailer for the game, 'Arsenal of Elegant Destruction,' which you can check out below.

The game will only be releasing on PlayStation 4 and PC for now, and Producer Yosuke Saito recently spoke with Express UK [http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/768303/Nier-Automata-Xbox-One-update-release-date], stating that there are "currently no plans to release" the game on Xbox One.

"The main reason for this is that the Japanese market for Xbox One is not strong, so the decision was made to focus on PlayStation 4 rather than to split our efforts across two platforms," Saito explained. "The biggest benefit to developing on one platform is that we did not have to split our time, allowing us to focus more on the quality."

"It is not about whether one platform is better than the other, it's that from a development point of view were can devote more time to one platform."

There is currently a demo available on the PlayStation Store. You can check out some screenshots from that below.

[gallery=6957]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So Japan got second class treatment in regard to the XB1 launch, no marketing, resulting in no sales when the console did eventually launch there, Microsoft stops publishing its console sales figures... and now developers are seeing multiplatform developments for the XB1 as a waste of time.

I know its far from a failure, but is anyone really calling the XB1 a success anymore?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
gigastar said:
So Japan got second class treatment in regard to the XB1 launch, no marketing, resulting in no sales when the console did eventually launch there, Microsoft stops publishing its console sales figures... and now developers are seeing multiplatform developments for the XB1 as a waste of time.

I know its far from a failure, but is anyone really calling the XB1 a success anymore?
Xbox fanboys are. I know a few.
(Though at least one has a PS4 and another simply can't afford it.)

goofsg

Feb 9, 2017
in other words 55 million vs 20 million because the xbox sold so poorly domestic and worldwide and the ps4 has alot of users it make sense to stick with it and not have to split time trying to make every port of the game work

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
gigastar said:
Is that all a product can be? One thing or another?

I'm not even sure the XB1 can be called a failure in Japan; to fail, you first have to try...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
gigastar said:
Is that all a product can be? One thing or another?
I acknowledged it as not a failure, so no.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
gigastar said:
True, but my point was it's relative - it is a failure and a success, defined as having decent sales and a footprint in key regions.

In context of the whole platform's lifetime it's quite easy to call the XB1 a roaring success bordering on a miracle, given how bizarrely awful, self-defeating, myopic, and misjudged the reveal and initial launch was. Mattrick can't be blamed for it all, of course, but he was the figurehead of a clearly terrible (i.e. misguided, out of touch/overambitious) culture at MS with regards to the Xbox at the time. To make things more frustrating, the machine's developed into a fine system (core specs aside), so Xbox's fate could've so easily been so much greater across all regions had they dialed back on the Mattrick-era nonsense (including ditching Kinect) before launch.

Fittingly enough, Phil Spencer's apparently in Japan at the moment (or will be soon) trying to drum up support from 3rdP publishers [http://www.gamezone.com/news/phil-spencer-will-be-over-in-japan-this-week-recruiting-3rd-party-publishers-to-bring-more-games-to-xbox-one-3451016]. I don't see how he can begin to turn around things in that region for MS, but at least he's prepared to attempt to fight such an uphill battle (personally, I don't tend to care for Japanese games, so a lack of their support doesn't bother me. missing out on stuff like The Last Of Us and Horizon's a shame, though).

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
gigastar said:
True, but my point was it's relative - it is a failure and a success, defined as having decent sales and a footprint in key regions.

In context of the whole platform's lifetime it's quite easy to call the XB1 a roaring success bordering on a miracle, given how bizarrely awful, self-defeating, myopic, and misjudged the reveal and initial launch was. Mattrick can't be blamed for it all, of course, but he was the figurehead of a clearly terrible (i.e. misguided, out of touch/overambitious) culture at MS with regards to the Xbox at the time. To make things more frustrating, the machine's developed into a fine system (core specs aside), so Xbox's fate could've so easily been so much greater across all regions had they dialed back on the Mattrick-era nonsense (including ditching Kinect) before launch.
Well ill toast to that. Though in more of a sense of 'Not even Mattrick could sink the Xbox brand', im keenly aware of the fact that Sony needs competition on the market, and im glad that Xbox still exists in a capacity to provide it... if nothing else.

Darth Rosenberg said:
Fittingly enough, Phil Spencer's apparently in Japan at the moment (or will be soon) trying to drum up support from 3rdP publishers [http://www.gamezone.com/news/phil-spencer-will-be-over-in-japan-this-week-recruiting-3rd-party-publishers-to-bring-more-games-to-xbox-one-3451016]. I don't see how he can begin to turn around things in that region for MS, but at least he's prepared to attempt to fight such an uphill battle
Well thats straight up admirable of him to even try, but depending on what tales Platinum are telling of Scalebounds recent downfall it might just be a lost cause.

Darth Rosenberg said:
(personally, I don't tend to care for Japanese games, so a lack of their support doesn't bother me. missing out on stuff like The Last Of Us and Horizon's a shame, though).
Based on my eperience of The Last of Us youll probably get more enjoyment out of it from watching a lets play.

As for Horizon, time will tell when it gets into public hands next week.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
gigastar said:

Luckily we still have Media Create that seems to publish an accurate report of sales every week and apparently, the Xbox One sells a few hundred units a week in Japan, if it's lucky.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Seems fair enough of a reasoning.
Of course it is a little narrow minded to only look at their national market.

As for the XB1. The best thing for me to come out of it was "play anywhere". Allows me to play XB1 games on my PC, which I did with Re-Core.
On the other side it made the console very redundant. Not even sure if it still works... haven't switched it on in ages.

But to be fair my PS4 is not better off by that much. Aside from Tales of Beseria and Uncharted 4 it has been an extraordinary dust collector as well.

This generation thus far was more promise than delivery. Hopefully Nier and Horizon change that a bit for the better.

goofsg

Feb 9, 2017
bluegate said:
gigastar said:

Luckily we still have Media Create that seems to publish an accurate report of sales every week and apparently, the Xbox One sells a few hundred units a week in Japan, if it's lucky.
if all goes well Nintendo could provide the competitionan dont bring up the it has no games argument when the ps4 and xbox didnt start picking up steam until 2 years later

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
gigastar said:
Well thats straight up admirable of him to even try, but depending on what tales Platinum are telling of Scalebounds recent downfall it might just be a lost cause.
Agreed, Xbox never really made an impact worth a damn there, and last gen's earlier era of actively supporting and publishing, say, Mistwalker's content, for example, clearly didn't endure or lead to much in the way of significant long term collaborations or shared interests/goals. For a variety of reasons the Xbox remains a very North American and European platform, and some of those issues are surely things MS simply can't ever solve.

I suppose they can't just officially quit in Japan, though.... so good luck to Spencer on whatever they're trying to salvage.

Darth Rosenberg said:
Based on my eperience of The Last of Us youll probably get more enjoyment out of it from watching a lets play.

Horizon's world seems well crafted enough to maybe make it worth getting just for that - its gameplay is seemingly very conventional. As for TLoU: yeah, I found a no commentary/no subtitles LP, so I'll be going through that sometime.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
gigastar said:

Horizon's world seems well crafted enough to maybe make it worth getting just for that - its gameplay is seemingly very conventional. As for TLoU: yeah, I found a no commentary/no subtitles LP, so I'll be going through that sometime.
Ehh, for TLoU i would reccomend a commentary LP. The game was slow paced enough for me that i was poking holes in the plot during dialouge sequences.

The actual gameplay sections are just boring, tried and tested TPS action with the occasional obnoxious floating pallette puzzle which i swear are obnoxiously there to pad the games length.

And trust me youre gonna see some really retarded shit, especially if you watch Left Behind as well.

And according to Iggen's[footnote]IGN, i dont refer to them by thier proper name, because theyre shit.[/footnote] review the couple dozen or so mechanoids you can encounter have parts you can selectively destroy to cripple them in combat. Id say this places it a fair bit outside of conventional gameplay, since most devs dont bother going that far to offer those kinds of tactics. Especially not in a AAA release like Horizon.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
goofsg said:
bluegate said:
gigastar said:

if all goes well Nintendo could provide the competitionan dont bring up the it has no games argument when the ps4 and xbox didnt start picking up steam until 2 years later
And where did that comment come from exactly?

In what situation would I bring up the "Switch has no games"-argument exactly? I'm a tad bit confused here...

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
*_* Mein gott, that trailer. The combat flow is all the whooshy-whooshy melee impact that I've been missing since Metal Gear Rising.

Hmm, no xbox? Makes sense. Apparently the console just can't seem to find a place in the Japanese market.

goofsg

Feb 9, 2017
Rip Van Rabbit said:
*_* Mein gott, that trailer. The combat flow is all the whooshy-whooshy melee impact that I've been missing since Metal Gear Rising.

Hmm, no xbox? Makes sense. Apparently the console just can't seem to find a place in the Japanese market.
i forgot to write out please dont say
it was preemptive because alot of people are shitting on the switch.over the course of 5 months t will have more games then the ps4 and xbox did when those launched

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
goofsg said:
Rip Van Rabbit said:
snippety snip
Oh that's wonderful. You know, at first I thought the Switch was shaping up to be the worst traits of handhelds & consoles smashed together, but --- wait a minute! I've been bamboozled. >_>
I think you quoted the wrong person.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Honestly, I'm thinking the reason there's no Xbox One version lies with Scalebound's cancelation. Although I'm not disregarding the stated reason. If I recall correctly, MS never got a proper foothold in Japan.