Professor Layton's Medical Mystery

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I'm not sure if he's mad that he has to decode the puzzle or the message it gives him. Either way good show.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Greg Tito said:
AntiChrist said:
Wait, is it Tuesday already?
Whoops! Well, you get an early release of Critical Miss for this week. Do with it what you will!

Greg
Dear god,
the black ice queen of Gnyth'gor is gone for like, what, a month?, and already the fortress is falling apart from the inside. Whats next, you'll start letting Jim videotape himself with blowup dolls? Get it together Sir Titos (he who is known as the black knight of the bile bear), or else your faithless imps just might free her from your dank prison to rule over these lands once more.
Kind Regards,
Grand Inquisitor Thiosk

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
This is too out of character to be a believable joke; Professor Layton would never look unhappy at being offered a puzzle.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Yopaz said:
Leonardo Huizar said:
Shot in the dark: "You have Cancer"

...but why would you need x-ray for that, clinics usually test blood for a higher than normal white blood cell count. #unlessimwrongaboutthecancer
Leukaemia is white blood cell count, lung cancer is chest X-ray followed by MRI, breast cancer is mammography and skin cancer is detected by taking a biopsy. This is all very simplified because I lack complete knowledge surrounding the procedures of detection and some of it might be wrong. However there are lots of ways to detect different kinds of cancer.

Also you were right with your solution. Good guess.
Confirm by biopsy in pretty much all cases except a straight leukemia. A mass alone only indicates the presence of a tumor. Elevated white cell counts are very non-specific, mammography has a very high false positive rate (it's a design feature - better to check out anything than let breast cancer slip by), a lung mass could be quite a few things, and even seeing a tumor on MRI or CT does not confirm it's cancer.

Not that benign tumors can't kill you too.

And it turns out the next Jumble says, "It is an unresectable small cell carcinoma I'm so sorry the prognosis is dismal you are just boned." Takes an hour to solve, but really helped Prof Layton take the news well.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
thedoclc said:
Yopaz said:
Leonardo Huizar said:
Shot in the dark: "You have Cancer"

...but why would you need x-ray for that, clinics usually test blood for a higher than normal white blood cell count. #unlessimwrongaboutthecancer
Leukaemia is white blood cell count, lung cancer is chest X-ray followed by MRI, breast cancer is mammography and skin cancer is detected by taking a biopsy. This is all very simplified because I lack complete knowledge surrounding the procedures of detection and some of it might be wrong. However there are lots of ways to detect different kinds of cancer.

Also you were right with your solution. Good guess.
Confirm by biopsy in pretty much all cases except a straight leukemia. A mass alone only indicates the presence of a tumor. Elevated white cell counts are very non-specific, mammography has a very high false positive rate (it's a design feature - better to check out anything than let breast cancer slip by), a lung mass could be quite a few things, and even seeing a tumor on MRI or CT does not confirm it's cancer.

Not that benign tumors can't kill you too.

And it turns out the next Jumble says, "It is an unresectable small cell carcinoma I'm so sorry the prognosis is dismal you are just boned." Takes an hour to solve, but really helped Prof Layton take the news well.
I suspected biopsy might be needed for confirmation regardless, but I wasn't sure, thanks for confirming that for me. I didn't know the details about mammography though, I've just heard that it's quite inaccurate, but not the details.

Being corrected can be fun if you learn something from it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
OtherSideofSky said:
This is too out of character to be a believable joke; Professor Layton would never look unhappy at being offered a puzzle.
The answer is why he was unhappy. After all this is the Professor we're talking about, he got that shit solved 2 seconds after he was given it...

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
This reminds me of 'Professor Layton and the Malignant Growth', although in that one, it turns out he's been carrying a massive tumour under his hat for years. I can't post it here, because it's a bit sweary, but it can be found in several episodes on YouTube.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
I figured the answer was 'you have cancer'. I did the puzzle anyway. I picked 'alvin' instead of anvil initially, but I suspected it would be wrong- you never use proper names for these things...

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
They also have something really wrong with their ribs. In order for the clavicles to be straight like that, the projector has to be slanted up. Those ribs are WAY to curvy.

The lungs look clear though... must my microscopic.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
AliasBot said:
ROast eVAdE CUrrY ANvil CHasE
ROVAECUYANCHE
YOUHAVECANCER

Yeah, Leonardo got it right...definitely spend longer looking at this comic than I normally would, so that's a win for them, I guess...
I came hoping to see a post like this.

I am not disappointed XD.

Greg Tito said:
AntiChrist said:
Whoops! Well, you get an early release of Critical Miss for this week. Do with it what you will!

Greg
I chose to be pleasantly surprised!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Poor Professor Layton (Professor of what? The same field as Robert Langdon?). He can't make it one day without encountering a puzzle. But wait, is it possible he suffers from a rare mental disorder that WON'T allow him to read anything straightforward, thus resorting to wordplay to get any information?

Aug 31, 2011
...Um, given 'Dead Grey Art Day,' is this comic telling us something about results of the 'elaborate quest' from what was 'supposed to be a routine medical exam'? Should I be worried?

O_O

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Greg Tito said:
AntiChrist said:

Greg
Time to tell the Editor in chief about this slip up, only he can fix it. Oh wait...

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I'm just wondering does professor is pissed because he already solved the puzzle and knows the diagnosis
or it's because he's sick of puzzles everywhere.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
For a Second I thought it was going to come up with "Big Arse Tumors".

...because the Black spot on the lung is big... And probably a tumor.

The "You Have Cancer" bit was surprisingly mundane. Why Do I always expect the most complicated answer first, and the most commonly expected answers second?