Professor X Gets Steampunk Wheelchair

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Professor X Gets Steampunk Wheelchair

A steampunk wheelchair is cool enough on its own, so how about Professor X's steampunk wheelchair?

Professor X's wheelchair didn't do very much when it was first conceived, but later became a hovering, futuristic device. Daniel Valdez imagined what it would look like in a steampunk universe, and made his ideas a reality as well.

He took a late 19th century reupholstered rocking chair and put it on a power wheelchair base. Everything was modified and decorated with objects such as pistons from a 1930s ironworks. A custom audio system was put into the chair that includes speakers and a subwoofer, which emit different sounds depending on whether the chair is idle, turning, breaking, and so forth. I also love the multi-colored battery indicator, and while watching the video my reaction literally was "Holy sh*t, it smokes," as smoke came out of a pipe in the back.

The best part of the set-up, however, is the vodka-cranberry mix encased in the bubbling tubes attached to the back of the wheelchair that can be dispensed through the front. It even has an ice tank to keep it cold. This concoction would apparently be distributed to the steampunk X-Men when not on an important mission. I knew Professor X liked to be the life of the party, but I didn't know he liked to get his drink on so much that he had to affix a bar to his wheelchair.

The drink dispensary sort of takes the project away from the "realism" of what it should be in my mind, but I suppose there must be a dimension where Professor X can't go a minute without a vodka-cran. Perhaps Tony Stark and Professor X are two peas in a pod in the land of steampunk.

(Via: BoingBoing [http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/07/steampunk-professor.html])

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
if I ever lose the use of my legs, I would want something like this to get me about.

Or just get me plastered.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Can you imagine driving that whilst pissed?

I can't think of anything that could make me happier.

Unless it involves boobies.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Didn't someone make a whole bunch of steampunk X-Men costumes (including a Prof. X chair)? I'm going to have to google it because I seem to remember Wolverine looked hilarious.

Hehe, found it. The chair isn't as impressive though.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
First Prof. X's chair gets a drink dispenser. What happens next? Cyclops gets beer-goggles?

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Steampunk is so unappealing to look at, but a lot of work must have gone into it so I think that's cool.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Nothing says "nerd" like steampunk.

Nothing says "nerd we want to hang out with" like working a booze-dispenser into your hobby.

...though even without the booze I'd hang out with this guy, but then I like steampunk.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Oh god remind me to make sure my uncle never sees this, he lost the use of his legs many years ago while serving in the ADF, and he's a big uber geek, as big as me, and he'd so badger me to help him make one of these.

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
He actually used a ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY year old rocking chair?

wtf? how stupid is this idiot? He couldve made it out of regular wood, restored the 150 year old one and sold it for a fortune to a collector><

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Outlaw Torn said:
Didn't someone make a whole bunch of steampunk X-Men costumes (including a Prof. X chair)? I'm going to have to google it because I seem to remember Wolverine looked hilarious.

Hehe, found it. The chair isn't as impressive though.

That's the same chair, and its user! LOL
Love the sound effects, would give quite the atmosphere to whenever the Prof came into a room. Especially a classroom.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'd prefer just a regular Prof X chair.
I'd prefer the use of my legs.

Actually, it's kind of cool but what would you do with that? Seems like a lot of work.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I vote for this to be his new chair! For it is full of epic and win!