Project Eternity Breaks $2 Million

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Ugh...I made the mistake of playng Icewind Dale AFTER Baldur's Gate 1 & 2....Bored the snot out of me. Qhy couldn't they just say it would be more like Baldur's Gate? Is it because Black Isle Studios is back & might actually make BG3?

I'll buy it anyway; I was still clung tenaciously to 2.5D when everyone else was clamoring for fugly polygons.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Cid SilverWing said:
Developers need to fucking stop getting in on this "stretch goal" shit.

It's not incentivizing them to make their products better, they're just baiting players into pre-ordering something they don't even know the first thing about, which really needs to be pre-emptively considered fraud.
That's not really a criticism against stretch goals, more against the entire idea of crowdfunding, no?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Cid SilverWing said:
Developers need to fucking stop getting in on this "stretch goal" shit.

It's not incentivizing them to make their products better, they're just baiting players into pre-ordering something they don't even know the first thing about, which really needs to be pre-emptively considered fraud.
Firstly, as Monsterfurby says that's nothing to do with stretch goals but rather the entire method of funding. And secondly, why the hell do people keep claiming it's fraud? It's investment, plain and simple. Someone asks for money for work they will do in the future. Either you trust them do so and give them some money, accepting that there is always a risk the work will not actually get done. Or you don't trust them and don't give them anything, accepting that if the work does get done you won't benefit from having invested ahead of time. As with any investment, there is always the possibility for fraud, but that certainly does not mean that any investment opportunity must always be fraud.

As for stretch goals, if that was what you actually meant to complain about, I don't see any problems there either. Doing things takes time and money. If someone wants to make a game, they'll need a certain amount of money to do so. If they want to make a bigger game with more content, they'll need more money. Stretch goals are simply a way of letting people know exactly how the game will be expanded depending on how much extra money they get. What's wrong with that?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
OniaPL said:
Why are people always mentioning bugginess when it comes to Obsidian? My experiences with their games have been pretty bug free and enjoyable.

Really looking forward to this. Hopefully they won't have to postpone it.
Because yours isn't the majority experience.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
thebobmaster said:
David Bray said:
I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down. This is Obsidian we're talking about.
You mean, the game company that constantly releases games that have promise, but are buggy, and then blames it on the publisher?

To be fair, Lucasarts is responsible for what happened to KOTOR II, and Obsidian did want to fix that, but couldn't. But that excuse only works once, not on every single game they ever make.
But it's also factual that they weren't the ones who were allowed to QA Fallout: New Vegas, Bestheda insisted that Bethseda do the QA on it.

Besides, Obsidian have never failed to release a well written game and it's fair to say that the writers on this game have been responsible for nearly every game that people hold up as the best written games in our industry, apart from KotoR and Psychonauts

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Remind me, when is the first Kickstarter-project actually hitting the shelves? When is Psychonauts 2 or Wasteland 2 showing up, for instance?

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Woodsey said:
OniaPL said:
Why are people always mentioning bugginess when it comes to Obsidian? My experiences with their games have been pretty bug free and enjoyable.

Oh really? What other genius insights do you have, oh Nostradamus?

No shit it isn't the majority experience, but I also am willing to bet I am not the only one. People always start in any Obsidian- related thread rabbling about them and act like whatever they put out is bad on the tech side and buggy as hell 100% of the time, but clearly that's not the case.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
I'm in a same situation as the above poster, I have never had any problems with an Obsidian game

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
Wait, it says that Mac and Linux support are done and added.

Seriously, that's all it took? Sounds like it took them all of 5 minutes to accomplish that. If it's as easy as that then why the hell are developers so stingy about providing the support for other OS's? Does Microsoft dole out money to convince developers to stick with the DirectX API or something?

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
Realitycrash said:
Remind me, when is the first Kickstarter-project actually hitting the shelves? When is Psychonauts 2 or Wasteland 2 showing up, for instance?
FTL was crowdfunded, IIRC.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
OniaPL said:
Woodsey said:
OniaPL said:

Oh really? What other genius insights do you have, oh Nostradamus?

No shit it isn't the majority experience, but I also am willing to bet I am not the only one. People always start in any Obsidian- related thread rabbling about them and act like whatever they put out is bad on the tech side and buggy as hell 100% of the time, but clearly that's not the case.
Well then why are you fucking confused about them complaining about buggy games? People are always mentioning bugginess when it comes to Obsidian games because most of the time, they're fucking buggy. And those people who are complaining will have had a buggy copy. So they'll complain about it. Because it was buggy. They don't need to vouch for every single copy to make you feel better.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
For everyone getting cynical about Kickstarters: It may seem like a passing trend now, but it represents a future free of publisher tyranny. Think of how many studios and games have been ruined by terrible oversight. Even if Kickstarters don't survive, the concept has been established. And it's an excellent way to see just what your playerbase will want and cater to that without having to rely on the demonstably bad judgment of a lot of publishers.

Stretch goals too, are a good idea. That way you don't just have people give you 2 million dollars and then are somehow disappointed when you produce something that is only worth the original goal.

Finally Obsidian will have no-one to blame if the game is buggy. But I get the feeling that won't be a major issue.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
StashAugustine said:
Realitycrash said:
And what's the difference between kickstarter and crowdfunded?

Sushewakka

Jul 4, 2011
Realitycrash said:
StashAugustine said:
Realitycrash said:
Kickstarter is a method of crowdfunding, but not the only one. That is, all kickstarter projects are crowdfunded, not all crowdfunded projects are kickstarters.
That said:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light?ref=live
FTL was a kickstarter crowdfunded project.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Sushewakka said:
Realitycrash said:
StashAugustine said:
Realitycrash said:
Kickstarter is a method of crowdfunding, but not the only one. That is, all kickstarter projects are crowdfunded, not all crowdfunded projects are kickstarters.
That said:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light?ref=live
FTL was a kickstarter crowdfunded project.
Alright, and when do they actually come out? And same for FTL.

Sushewakka

Jul 4, 2011
Realitycrash said:
You can already play FTL if you want to.
IIRC, Double Fine Adventure is projected to come out at some point in summer next year, and Wasteland 2 after that.
EDIT: Here, have a review:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/ftl-is-firefly-by-way-of-the-rogue-like-genre-and-its-punishingly-brilliant

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Sushewakka said:
Realitycrash said:
You can already play FTL if you want to.
IIRC, Double Fine Adventure is projected to come out at some point in summer next year, and Wasteland 2 after that.
EDIT: Here, have a review:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/ftl-is-firefly-by-way-of-the-rogue-like-genre-and-its-punishingly-brilliant
The Kickstarter for Double Fine Adventure was not only for the game, but also for a documentary making-off of the game. And they have been releasing parts of the documentary for the backers, along with "sidequests" which are extra material they filmed but won't be in the final documentary. They're also publishing developer diaries in the backers-only forums.

The videos released so far are quite fun, and to me it's already worth more than what I paid as a backer. I believe it's the same for other people who are interested in the game development process, and it may be even better for people actively participating in the backer forums (I'm not). I wish all Kickstarters had a team making a documentary of the game's development.

Sushewakka

Jul 4, 2011
tautologico said:
The Kickstarter for Double Fine Adventure was not only for the game, but also for a documentary making-off of the game. And they have been releasing parts of the documentary for the backers, along with "sidequests" which are extra material they filmed but won't be in the final documentary. They're also publishing developer diaries in the backers-only forums.

The videos released so far are quite fun, and to me it's already worth more than what I paid as a backer. I believe it's the same for other people who are interested in the game development process, and it may be even better for people actively participating in the backer forums (I'm not). I wish all Kickstarters had a team making a documentary of the game's development.
True. I am enjoying the videos a lot as well, and the T-shirt fits like a glove.