Project Eternity Breaks $2 Million

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Project Eternity Breaks $2 Million

Obsidian's Kickstarter RPG adds a new stretch goal as it cruises into the multiple millions.

I don't think there was any real doubt that Obsidian's Project Eternity Kickstarter was going to be a success. The question now is how big a success it will ultimately prove to be. At this point, it looks like the answer will be "pretty big," and perhaps even "really big."

With 20 days left on the clock, Project Eternity has blown past the $2 million dollar mark, with more than 47,000 people pledging their money to a game that, when you get right down to it, nobody really knows anything about. Hitting that goal means Obsidian will add customizable player houses to the game, where players can store surplus equipment or partake in the sacred Elven ritual of "chillaxation."

The next "stretch goal," at $2.2 million, will add a new faction, new companion and translations into French, German and Spanish, while $2.3 million will add the new "Godlike" races, similar to the planetouched [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetouched] races of Dungeons & Dragons, and three different gameplay modes: Expert, Trial of Iron and Path of the Damned. Trial of Iron will give players just one single save spot for the entire campaign that's deleted if they die, while Path of the Damned will be akin to Icewind Dale's ridiculous Heart of Fury mode, making combat "much more difficult for everyone involved."

Stretch goals at $2.4 million and beyond are still being determined, but with 20 days to go it seems very likely they'll be needed.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Obsidian has some MASSIVE BALLS.

Constantly they ***** that 'it's their partners' that cause them to release buggy/semi-broken games.

Now they're getting the kind of support that they will show that either they're a good as they think they are or..

Or they'll need to 'take it like a man' if the game is as wonky as other games.
;)

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Coolness, now they need to get out there and make something worth 2 million dollars. :p

I wish the best of luck to them.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Why are people always mentioning bugginess when it comes to Obsidian? My experiences with their games have been pretty bug free and enjoyable.

Really looking forward to this. Hopefully they won't have to postpone it.

Nov 28, 2007
David Bray said:
I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down. This is Obsidian we're talking about.
You mean, the game company that constantly releases games that have promise, but are buggy, and then blames it on the publisher?

To be fair, Lucasarts is responsible for what happened to KOTOR II, and Obsidian did want to fix that, but couldn't. But that excuse only works once, not on every single game they ever make.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Kickstarters are starting to feel like school fundraisers did for me as a kid. 'Oh look at all the cool stuff if only I sell another twenty candy bars'. I dunno maybe I've got some sort of too much kickstarter cynicism developing.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Meh. I love the project, and the early stretch goals, but I'm not particularly interested in player housing, extra game modes, Godlikes etc etc. That's the way it goes, though, sometimes you love stretch goals, some times not so much. The content goals interest me more. New areas, new quests, new factions etc.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
thebobmaster said:
You mean, the game company that constantly releases games that have promise, but are buggy, and then blames it on the publisher?

To be fair, Lucasarts is responsible for what happened to KOTOR II, and Obsidian did want to fix that, but couldn't. But that excuse only works once, not on every single game they ever make.
I was thinking less the bugs and more just the fact the games are bad. Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III. They're basically famous for borrowing other people's cast offs and milking them till their dead.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Ahhhhhhhhh yes. Set in the world of Totally Not westen Europe

A wise choice.
Looks like someone took a planetbuster to France and Iberia but carefully left the low countries intact.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Hey, Obsidian.

Don't fuck this up, yeah?

David Bray said:
thebobmaster said:

I was thinking less the bugs and more just the fact the games are bad. Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III. They're basically famous for borrowing other people's cast offs and milking them till their dead.
I... what? Alpha Protocol was an original IP. They also did New Vegas, which was them returning to their own cast-off franchise. The South Park game is not a sequel, though it's also not an original IP.

That leaves... what, Dungeon Siege 3, NWN 2, and KotOR 2? Two buggy, incomplete games and one non-buggy, actually pretty solid game that I totally ignored.

At worst you can say that the quality of those games is mixed at best - both as a whole, and on an individual level. NWN 2 was boring and had a terrible camera, but its expansion Mask of the Betrayer was one of the best things ever. Alpha Protocol had a baller-tier conversation system, but was very buggy and had bad level design. And so on.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Oh right, I intended to donate to this when my pay came through. Thanks for the reminder. I'm looking forward to seeing this come out eventually. I just hope the game turns out how they promised.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Developers need to fucking stop getting in on this "stretch goal" shit.

It's not incentivizing them to make their products better, they're just baiting players into pre-ordering something they don't even know the first thing about, which really needs to be pre-emptively considered fraud.