Project Eternity Breaks $3 million

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Just shy of 4mil. I wonder if that's including the paypal stuff? Oh wait, just noticed the post above. Cool, we get extras PLUS Chris Avellone has to play Arcanum. Its a win win situation.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
I have tears in my eyes of happiness, I am sorry fellow gamers that I doubted you and that I at some point thought you to be Cod loving console players, I think more than anything that this project shows that people who loves great RPG games has not been extinct but rather over shadowed by the worst of the worst such as EA.

I cannot express in words how happy for the success of the project I have.

P.Tsunami

Feb 21, 2010
viranimus said:
Just wish they would get a tie in with GoG given how disgusting and vile steam is.
I trust in your judgement, but I haven't really been keeping up. What, specifically, makes steam that bad?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
DoPo said:
viranimus said:
Just wish they would get a tie in with GoG given how disgusting and vile steam is.
GOG said:

Obsidian said:

GOG said:

Obsidian said:

Yes, it actually happened. Over Twitter - a month ago.
HHAHA... LOVE that exchange.

Seriously, the final response put the sound of "SQUEEEEEEE!" in my head

But yeah, again, damned glad to hear it. And again thanks for correcting my ignorance on this issue everyone.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
P.Tsunami said:
viranimus said:
I trust in your judgement, but I haven't really been keeping up. What, specifically, makes steam that bad?
They were until this year a tolerable evil. Before they were simply helping to undermine the concept of games as a product, and trying to convert them into being subscriptions and licenses in order to bypass laws surrounding ownership.

However as of this year if you hadnt been made aware, Steam has saw in their infinite wisdom fit to extort your voluntary forfeiture of your licenses and subscriptions you bought legally without such provision, in exchange for your right to engage in class action lawsuit against them. They have no legal standing to actually do this, but they bank on the ignorance, and complacency of their customers who will agree to these unreasonable extortion by holding your licenses hostage until you comply.

In other words.. You either agree to the demands Steam has wrongly laid out so they prevent you from properly defending yourself if Steam does wrong, And they hold the content you purchased without such provision hostage until you do. The same way Sony, Microsoft and Origin have done.

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Well, at the time of my posting this they closed out at 3,986,929 on Kickstarter, if that's not counting their Paypal, then I do believe they just broke 4 million, well done Obsidian, well done.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
viranimus said:
They were until this year a tolerable evil. Before they were simply helping to undermine the concept of games as a product, and trying to convert them into being subscriptions and licenses in order to bypass laws surrounding ownership.

However as of this year if you hadnt been made aware, Steam has saw in their infinite wisdom fit to extort your voluntary forfeiture of your licenses and subscriptions you bought legally without such provision, in exchange for your right to engage in class action lawsuit against them. They have no legal standing to actually do this, but they bank on the ignorance, and complacency of their customers who will agree to these unreasonable extortion by holding your licenses hostage until you comply.

In other words.. You either agree to the demands Steam has wrongly laid out so they prevent you from properly defending yourself if Steam does wrong, And they hold the content you purchased without such provision hostage until you do. The same way Sony, Microsoft and Origin have done.
Games never were a product, and were never treated as product, they cant undermine something that never existed.

Furthermore Valve extorted nothing, you were not forced to accept the EULA, and if you didn't, your Steam account was nly disabled, you still had access to all your games, you simply couldn't buy new ones. Valve changed the policy on account disabling ages ago.

On top of that, class action lawsuits never benefit the consumer, if you look back on many in the past, you will find the only people who truly benefited were the lawyers.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Podunk said:
This would be more impressive if the Homestuck Kickstarter didn't raise 2.5 million on a name and absolutely nothing else.
Kickstarter only shows how easily people can tricked into giving others money, despite said other's total lack of any real product, or past history.

Well at least it serves some purpose, it gets people to spend money, instead of hording it and further destroying the value of money, and it gives me another means to reaffirm my belief that humanity is screwed.
*points at Faster Than Light and Zombies, Run! *

Both former kickstarters that turned into great products.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
lotr rocks 0 said:

<-- finds neither of those games fun or interesting.

FTL seems like a game I woulds expect to be made in flash and put on New grounds, not something worth money.

Zombies, Run! has a similar feeling also.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
viranimus said:

Games never were a product, and were never treated as product, they cant undermine something that never existed.

Furthermore Valve extorted nothing, you were not forced to accept the EULA, and if you didn't, your Steam account was nly disabled, you still had access to all your games, you simply couldn't buy new ones. Valve changed the policy on account disabling ages ago.

On top of that, class action lawsuits never benefit the consumer, if you look back on many in the past, you will find the only people who truly benefited were the lawyers.

You are looking at that wrongly. While in a sense it is in fact true games are not a product, that is ONLY in a sense for individual to take them and alter them in some fashion for profit. Sort of like taking the Mona Lisa and painting it blue and calling it your own. THe key point to that is there is no right for that content to be modified.

However Games did in fact start off as a product in the days when there was no such thing as digital media and all media was physical. That is the means valve and other digital purveyors are undermining laws of ownership. There has been no essential change in the product. It is a legal transaction that offers currency in exchange for content. It was protected when a physical media was involved, but there is nothing that breaks that arrangement simply by transferring it to a digital format and calling it something else. It was always there. Once a cartridge was purchased if the purchaser was not happy with it, tired with it, bored with it, any reason they had every legal right to sell that product as used. That also is what allowed corporations to be built like Blockbuster that focused on the "rental" of said product. It was most certainly there, ao it has most certainly been undercut wrongfully. However Companies such as steam who are trying to convert them into subscriptions and selling licenses, are also wrongly selling those licenses as the same thing as a product despite NOT having the same value. Compare ANY game launched on steam, Say Dishonored. That game has a physical counterpart. However that physical counterpart on say 360 or PS3 intrinsically has more value because the product can be resold as used. However the same is NOT true of steam, Yet their prices invariably will be mirrors and sold for the same value despite NOT having the same value.

Second, Yeah there is extortion. I mean I would love to know how I can legally play games I legally purchased without those provisions considering that I cannot access them devoid of the steam client that will NOT allow the game to launch without first auto launching the steam client which will shut down both the client AND game if the TOS is not agreed to. Now while there may be certain work arounds that bypass the need, I am completely unaware of how one can do so with direct support FROM steam, including being able to download purchased titles that were not installed at the time of this TOS. If its a bypass, and not supported by steam that is not the same thing as giving access. That makes it extortion that demands voluntary compliance.

Lastly, It absolutely does not matter in any way shape or form WHO class action lawsuits benefit. I will cheerfully agree that lawyers are the ones who benefit. But that is completely 1000% irrelevant. It is wrong to be forced to give up legal rights that you have no right to claim. When we voluntarily give up our rights to things we find irrelevant, it just makes it easier to take other rights away. There is no easy way to get back rights given away freely. So this argument never has been nor ever will be appropriate for this case.

Now that is all I am speaking on this. This is not the point of the thread and it is not my intention to derail the entire thread on an anti steam rant. My point of bringing this up is because this NEEDS to be repeatedly brought up. If there was someone asking "
how is steam evil, who didnt know about all of this it illustrates why there is a problem and why it bears repeating. This should not stop until Steam is forced (like with what is occurring in Germany) to remove this illogical, and frankly illegal provision of their TOS. The only reason it has not been already has specifically been because of flimsy arguments like this and the amazing complacency and lethargy exhibited by most western gamers in their willful defiance at defending something that they supposedly love while it is being destroyed right in front of them. I have expressed my opinion on it, and you are entitled to disagree, but that dissent is why this is still an issue and the reason I must keep bringing it up where ever and when ever I can. Trust me, I would love nothing more than to stop talking about it. So I wont talk about it more in this thread, If you are going to retort, your going to. We have to agree to disagree and allow the thread to be put back on the main topic regarding project eternity.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
lotr rocks 0 said:

FTL seems like a game I woulds expect to be made in flash and put on New grounds, not something worth money.

Well clearly some people like them...

I haven't personally played FTL but the amount of nerd joy I've heard come out of that game is incredible.

I did buy Zombies, Run! before I knew it was even kickstarted and I'm enjoying it quite a bit and it has helped to motivate me to run more and get in better shape.

Also project eternity has a ton of good ideas just waiting to be implemented and a world that sounds really compelling and unique from anything I have ever seen before. I don't regret for a second pledging my $250 dollars to a company whose made legendary games to make another one without the need of a publisher to ruin their game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
lotr rocks 0 said:

<-- thinks FTL is possibly going to be GOTY.

No, Kickstarter is NOT a giant experiment on parting fools with their money, no matter how much you want it to be.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
lotr rocks 0 said:

I haven't personally played FTL but the amount of nerd joy I've heard come out of that game is incredible.

I did buy Zombies, Run! before I knew it was even kickstarted and I'm enjoying it quite a bit and it has helped to motivate me to run more and get in better shape.

Also project eternity has a ton of good ideas just waiting to be implemented and a world that sounds really compelling and unique from anything I have ever seen before. I don't regret for a second pledging my $250 dollars to a company whose made legendary games to make another one without the need of a publisher to ruin their game.
People also spend thousands on games like Farmeville.

Also, having read everything Obsidian has posted about Project Eternity, all I can say is.
It sounds
exactly
every
other
RPG
from
the
90's

I already own Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and if I wanted to play them today, I would, I dont see the need to fund what is essentially Baldur's Gate again.

The only thing different about Project Eternity is that its old-style, and I know how much people will latch on to anything for the simple fact it isn't in the current style, rather then if the game is good or not.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Not being tied to outdated UI, pathfinding, and god damn 2e D&D is a pretty marked improvement, komrade.

I mean shit, why make any new game? Fuckin' Starcraft 2, that's just like Dune, right?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
The Crotch said:
Not being tied to outdated UI, pathfinding, and god damn 2e D&D is a pretty marked improvement, komrade.

I mean shit, why make any new game? Fuckin' Starcraft 2, that's just like Dune, right?
Being tied to D&D period is a problem for me, and really, given Obsidian's past isometric RPGs, why do you think the UI wouldn't be crap?

And that Starcraft = Dune thing wasn't the same point I was making at all.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
The Crotch said:

Being tied to D&D period is a problem for me.

and really, given Obsidian's past isometric RPGs, why do you think the UI wouldn't be crap?
1: There are zero connections to D&D. So... that's not a problem. Unless you're replaying the old Baldurs Gates.

2: Obsidian hasn't done a properly isometric game. I mean, Black Isle and Troika did, but those are specifically the old-ass games we're using as comparisons. The closest thing to an isometric game Obsidian proper has done is Neverwinter Nights 2, which I haven't played in quite a while but if memory serves it had a fine UI except for its abomination of a camera.

Which... y'know, PE is fixed camera.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
lotr rocks 0 said:

People also spend thousands on games like Farmeville.

Also, having read everything Obsidian has posted about Project Eternity, all I can say is.
It sounds
exactly
every
other
RPG
from
the
90's

I already own Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and if I wanted to play them today, I would, I dont see the need to fund what is essentially Baldur's Gate again.

The only thing different about Project Eternity is that its old-style, and I know how much people will latch on to anything for the simple fact it isn't in the current style, rather then if the game is good or not.
-It doesn't use D&D ruleset and therefore can have more complicated and logical algorithms for calculating combat damage and stuff.
-The whole universe is centered on the idea of souls and using the power of your soul to do different things, which sounds super intriguing to me.
-It has nearly 15 years of technological growth for animation and graphics, even if it is going to go with an isometric style with a 2D pre-rendered background. The environments will still look a ton better and the characters will be in 3D.
-It's a whole new world with completely unique and different races which have never been seen before in an RPG
-Whole new concepts behind life and death, with little to no regenerative magic

Also- everything nowadays is inspired by something older... There's hardly any new completely unique ideas anymore. That doesn't mean they're bad or not worth exploring, or that they can't bring anything new to the field.

I'm not going to reply to any more comments of yours since this isn't going anywhere productive

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
The Crotch said:
1: There are zero connections to D&D. So... that's not a problem. Unless you're replaying the old Baldurs Gates.

2: Obsidian hasn't done a properly isometric game. I mean, Black Isle and Troika did, but those are specifically the old-ass games we're using as comparisons. The closest thing to an isometric game Obsidian proper has done is Neverwinter Nights 2, which I haven't played in quite a while but if memory serves it had a fine UI except for its abomination of a camera.

Which... y'know, PE is fixed camera.
Zero connection to D&D universe does not remove the fact it still has what is essentially the D&D diceroll/attribute systems. Which is what I dislike.

I hate diceroll games, they strip out player control in places there is no need to in order to impose artificial restrictions that have no reason to exist.

and NWN2, I didn't like its UI.

I know I cant change anyone mind, and I don't want another pointless argument.

So lets just agree to disagree about the quality of the game.

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
lotr rocks 0 said:
Careful with the T word there friend.

OT: Backed this back when there were still $20 slots left. It was fun following the updates come out, pretty much every day. I really hope this goes far. Developers bringing thier ideas to and having to answer to the consumers instead of publishers can only be a good thing.