Project Horseshoe: Summer Camp for Game Designers

N. Evan Van Zelfden

Jul 11, 2006
Project Horseshoe: Summer Camp for Game Designers

Project Horseshoe is something like summer camp for game designers. The setting is the same: There are canoes and cabins and campfires. The workgroups have facilitators ? the grown-up?s answer to counselors. Their idea is your hands should be as busy as your mind ? something that contrasts from most sit-and-listen conferences and symposiums.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I really have little to add, other than wanting to mention that the look inside is fascinating and I'm looking forward to the next installments.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
The Fat Man has got a way with words, hasn't he?

Fascinating stuff. Unfortunate that they've asked you to keep the detail low, but this is miles better than nothing.

I seem to remember last year's Project Horseshoe had notes from the conference published online afterward; if they're doing that again this year, would you kindly remember to provide a link?

slimer

Nov 17, 2007
I like the site. I am a third year games design student, been hobby modding for years. My having experienced rewarding game play and social contact through real Role Playing on an Aussie NWN persistent world which inspired me to make games that have more meaning than so much of the dross out there.

I think, a format where you have a mature game referee/DM (from dungeon master) using software to interact with a group of players to create a fun environment and emotive responses through dialogue/situations, you get an immersion deeper than any other game I have played. Unfortunately a single player game will give you a powerful story line once, maybe twice. An open (mature) multiplayer environment where you have a storyteller position, you're only limited by human imagination and intelligence.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
slimer said:
I like the site. I am a third year games design student, been hobby modding for years. My having experienced rewarding game play and social contact through real Role Playing on an Aussie NWN persistent world which inspired me to make games that have more meaning than so much of the dross out there.

I think, a format where you have a mature game referee/DM (from dungeon master) using software to interact with a group of players to create a fun environment and emotive responses through dialogue/situations, you get an immersion deeper than any other game I have played. Unfortunately a single player game will give you a powerful story line once, maybe twice. An open (mature) multiplayer environment where you have a storyteller position, you're only limited by human imagination and intelligence.
And tools. :)

slimer

Nov 17, 2007
Arbre said:
slimer said:

And tools. :)

Oh yes... the tools. Thank the heavens for custom community based content as well.