Project Spark Will Soon Be Completely Free

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Project Spark Will Soon Be Completely Free

Microtransactions and DLC plans for game creation engine dropped.

Microsoft has announced that the next update for Project Spark, releasing on October 5, will see the Xbox One game making sandbox become a fully free product, unlocking all downloadable content for all users. The change will come just two days shy of the anniversary of its official launch.

Going forward, the Project Spark team will shift its efforts away from the production of additional content and new features, which sounds an awful lot like, "no more Conker's Big Reunion episodes," to me.

Others might be more upset that they recently spent cash on Project Spark. Likely anticipating such a reaction, Microsoft will be issuing refunds (in the form of Microsoft Store credit) to customers who purchased digital goods or activated retail discs on or after July 28th of this year. Any purchased in-game tokens remaining in a users balance will also be refunded. This credit will be applied to user accounts within 60 days following the transition.

The update will make other significant changes, easing some limitations in the system. The terrain limit has been doubled, the maximum number of props increased by 500, and all users will have 100 upload slots for sharing their games. More than 200 assets are being added as well.

Microsoft did not explicitly state a reason for the change, though one might surmise that it hasn't been a runaway financial success just on the basis of this pivot. Their announcement includes a quote from Rahul Sandil, the product's Head of Acquisition/Engagement, which states a user population of "over 200,000 creators", which hardly seems enough to keep a behemoth like MS in for the long haul.

Source: Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2015/09/games-project-spark-transition]

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
....this game was out?

wow, even as a free game i really couldn't care about it....sad that this was the vehicle that was supposed to bring conker back :(

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Yeah, I've been playing around with it off an on for a few months. Seeing the paywalls removed and more content opened up will be nice, as grinding for in-game currency instead of paying cash seemed to be a extremely slow way to open up further content, which is the point of a F2P model (speeding up the grind, add more content), but a big turn off if you have something in mind to create and can't because of the paywall.

They did recently kill 32-bit support, which is understandable (removes limitations that they had to work around) but it killed ability to work on my Win10 32bit tablet. While I still have a 64bit PC to work and play on, I oddly enough kind of found the touch controls easier/funner to work with than KB+M or the XBox controller.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The first two posts share my sentiments...and I work at a big-box retailer that sold the thing...granted, what we sold was a box with a download code so I'm still kinda surprised that this thing launched to begin with. What exactly is Project Spark? I don't recall anybody talking about or reviewing it...like...anywhere. Nice to hear that it's going to be free though I guess...kinda sucks for the early adopters but early adopters seem to be getting screwed all the time anyways...

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Shoggoth2588 said:
What exactly is Project Spark? I don't recall anybody talking about or reviewing it...like...anywhere.
I think the best way to describe it is Project Spark is a game about making games.

Basically, they developed an engine and assets for people to play around in. The programming language kode [http://i.ytimg.com/vi/a9-Yako_dXU/maxresdefault.jpg] is based on kodu [http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/KoduProgramming.grid-6x2.jpg] using a tile based programming system with a lot of the nitty gritty mechanics hidden behind premade programming tiles/functions/values/etc. Its a simple language based for kids to pick up and play with. Previously you would get a certain amount of starting resources to use making games, and could unlock more by getting certain achievements, or paying in-game coins or paying for premium credits with real life cash. In-game coins was rewarded by creating and playing games, daily goals, etc.

I like games about making games, (ex. Disney Infinity, Little Big Planet, etc.) so when I heard about this in development during some release around the time before the XBone launched, I kind of had it on my radar, but otherwise, yeah, advertisement for it has been fairly non-existent in my opinion.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Oh sure, they make it free NOW and not when I had to get it for my university projects. Typical.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Well, of course the game didn't do well. It was so bereft of varied user-made content that it wasn't even worth signing-in to Microsoft accounts for. This update might change that, but I almost don't care about it.